How are the canals?

PlasticFantastic

Featured Posts

This is Church Island on the Thames at Staines, taken by a friend who lives there. May have to be renamed Church Atoll...

churchisland_zps412be050.jpg

...and, no, I can't tell you which bit is island and which bit is river :help:

The river is on the Port side of the boat, thats the left. Looks like a good day for a cruise to me. :cheers:

Tim

The river is on the Port side of the boat, thats the left.

<pedant_mode>The river runs to both sides - there's a clue in the word "island"; that's a body of land surrounded by water.</pedant_mode>

...and there are boats I would take out in that stream, and boats I wouldn't. Narrow boats fall firmly into the category of "boats I wouldn't"!

<pedant_mode>The river runs to both sides - there's a clue in the word "island"; that's a body of land surrounded by water.</pedant_mode>

...and there are boats I would take out in that stream, and boats I wouldn't. Narrow boats fall firmly into the category of "boats I wouldn't"!

Welll, <pedant_mode_on) Unless the owner of the narrowboat has craned the thing onto the island, I suggest the course of the river IS to his port(pedant_mode_off)

Welll, <pedant_mode_on) Unless the owner of the narrowboat has craned the thing onto the island, I suggest the course of the river IS to his port(pedant_mode_off)

<pedant_mode>your opening and closing pedant_mode tags don't match :)</pedant_mode>

Actually I didn't start this thread to debate minor technicalities with pedants, I wondered whether the canals suffer as much flooding as the rivers.

I used to live on the Kennet at Reading which was very volatile, but that was on the River Kennet not the K and A canal. On the Thames now and the flooding is starting to get quite severe. The residents of Church Island needs waders to get to their boats and houses.

Actually I didn't start this thread to debate minor technicalities with pedants,I wondered whether the canals suffer as much flooding as the rivers.

Not being funny, but perhaps it would have been better to ask that question in your opening post, not just provided a photo of a flooded RIVER island.

To answer, in general no they don't because their levels are more controlled, both inlet and outlet.

Not being funny, but perhaps it would have been better to ask that question in your opening post, not just provided a photo of a flooded RIVER island.

To answer, in general no they don't because their levels are more controlled, both inlet and outlet.

Not being funny, but I would have thought the title "How are the canals?" would give anyone of around average intelligence a clue.

Some very knowledgeable people contribute to this forum, but I suppose the trouble with an open forum is that it's not a requirement.

Here on the long "sump" pound of the GU through Milton Keynes, at times the level has dramatically risen by almost three inches.

Thank you! - a sensible answer; are you in the right forum? (c:

So the levels are nothing like as volatile as the rivers, canals are not used to "transport" water at all but just fill up with rainwater? Like big puddles?

R

Here on the long "sump" pound of the GU through Milton Keynes, at times the level has dramatically risen by almost three inches.

Let me know if you need to borrow some longer ropes. ;)

Or a pair of chest-waders (c:

ALARM......ALARM.....PLONKER ALERT.....PLONKER ALERT..............

Too much rich food over the Christmas period tends to shorten tempers, it certainly does with you!

D'ya think?

Actually I was just trying to start a perfectly reasonable thread leading up to whether canal dwellers were suffering as much as river-folk but, somewhat typically, it seems to have been hijacked by the point-scoring brigade.

If its a battle of witts you are looking for sonny then I am not joining. I dont battle with someone who is unarmed ;)

Tim

Please don't call me "sonny"

Please do spell wit with one "t"

Thank you (c:

D'ya think?

Actually I was just trying to start a perfectly reasonable thread leading up to whether canal dwellers were suffering as much as river-folk but, somewhat typically, it seems to have been hijacked by the point-scoring brigade.

I'm not joining any brigades, but I wasn't at all clear as to what you were looking for, from your initial post.

Tim

Not being funny, but I would have thought the title "How are the canals?" would give anyone of around average intelligence a clue.

Some very knowledgeable people contribute to this forum, but I suppose the trouble with an open forum is that it's not a requirement.

Ignoring your somewhat patronising reply, actually the question "How are the canals?" is much too general. You could have been asking anything from dredging to moorings.

I would suggest that your question would have been better along the lines of "How do canals cope with flooding?" or "Do canal levels flood like rivers?", but then as you obviously think me unintelligent you will no doubt find some patronising reply to this as well.

Blwyddyn Newddyn Dda.

Edited by Graham Davis

How are the canals?Well I suppose they are alright,apart from CMers,CCers,liveaboards on leisure moorings,the shiny boat crews,tramp boats,plastic pigs,hire boats,share boats,beer cans,food containers,pop bottles,plastic bags,old clothes,tyres,prams,cars,bridges you can't open and then can't shut,leaking locks,lock gates yer can't budge, areas that need dredging,steerers who go too fast,boats on water points for days,boats on 24 and 48 hour moorings for days on end and last but not least dog sh#t just about everywhere.However in these very dark days our country is experiencing I wouldn't be anywhere else.Regards Ian.

How are the canals?Well I suppose they are alright,apart from CMers,CCers,liveaboards on leisure moorings,the shiny boat crews,tramp boats,plastic pigs,hire boats,share boats,beer cans,food containers,pop bottles,plastic bags,old clothes,tyres,prams,cars,bridges you can't open and then can't shut,leaking locks,lock gates yer can't budge, areas that need dredging,steerers who go too fast,boats on water points for days,boats on 24 and 48 hour moorings for days on end and last but not least dog sh#t just about everywhere.However in these very dark days our country is experiencing I wouldn't be anywhere else.Regards Ian.

You forgot anglers, lycra louts on bikes, drunks asleep under lock beams, drunks asleep on lock beams, drunks who insist on helping with the lock…

wink.gif

You forgot anglers, lycra louts on bikes, drunks asleep under lock beams, drunks asleep on lock beams, drunks who insist on helping with the lock…

wink.gif

Yep you are most definitely right there sir!I am sure we have missed others.Edited to add yes we have.Drunks in charge of boats.

Edited by bowten