Rebuilt engine won't start

notaminga

Featured Posts

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and am hoping I can pick your brains and get some help.

I have a Land Rover 2.5 engine in my boat, which I have just rebuilt after the crankshaft died. It's been a complete rebuild with rebore, new pistons, new valves. Every part that went back into the engine checked out as perfect.

However, since getting it all back together it will not run for more than a few seconds. It coughs and splutters, giving out much white smoke, before grinding to a halt.

I've double checked the timing - spot on. Changed the injectors - both sets produce the same effect. The fuel injection pump is new. Air supply is good, fuel is being squirted out by injectors.

Compression test showed all four cylinders at 240 psi. This seems a little low to me but I'm told that a cold engine will read low.

All the indications are that the head gasket is tight and not leaking. There is no water loss and no pressurisation of the header tank.

I've been trying for a week to get this going and have run out of ideas.

Can anyone suggest anything new which might help?

What kind of heater plugs does it have?

If you have white smoke, you have diesel

If it runs for a few seconds, it runs

In this weather it may need quite a lot of heater plug to make it start, and full speed too

Richard

Hi, We have the 2.5 NA in our old ex MOD landrover ( i guess it's the same engine ) and it relies on a good ten seconds of glow plug preheat to fire up in this weather.

I don't know the engine, but for a diesel 240 psi is low. I would suspect bumping clearance is high (gasket too thick, possibly).

Tim

I think i'd double check the valve and injection timing again. All the turning over your doing I would have thought would have warmed it up enough to start probably without the heaters.

Also have you cracked all the injector pipes open and turned it over on the starter to check and ensure good strong air free spurts of fuel from them.

Edited by bizzard

I have a Land Rover 2.5 engine in my boat, which I have just rebuilt after the crankshaft died. It's been a complete rebuild with rebore, new pistons, new valves. Every part that went back into the engine checked out as perfect.

However, since getting it all back together it will not run for more than a few seconds. It coughs and splutters, giving out much white smoke, before grinding to a halt.

I've double checked the timing - spot on. Changed the injectors - both sets produce the same effect. The fuel injection pump is new. Air supply is good, fuel is being squirted out by injectors.

I still think its the timing!

We put a new chain on a 1.8 and were convinced the timing was right, but eventually ruled everything else out (turned out the marks were in the wrong place!)

It coughed and ran very badly for a few seconds, giving out clouds of white smoke, reset the timing ran fantastic!

I still think its the timing!

We put a new chain on a 1.8 and were convinced the timing was right, but eventually ruled everything else out (turned out the marks were in the wrong place!)

It coughed and ran very badly for a few seconds, giving out clouds of white smoke, reset the timing ran fantastic!

Bad valve timing would certainly affect the compression pressure. OP said they have double checked the timing, maybe that was the injection timing & not the valve timing?

Tim

The head gasket was standard for the engine and the head has been skimmed - you would think this would lead to higher compression. The hotspots were also replaced.

The manual says the compression ratio is 21:1. By my reckoning multiplying this by air pressure at sea level (14.7 psi) suggests that compression should be over 300psi, but I have been hoping that the figure will be higher once the engine is running, hot and rings bedded in.

The fuel pump is electric and maintains a good constant flow of fuel. The fuel system beyond the pump maintains positive pressure with no leaks. The stop solenoid checks out.

My initial feeling was that it must be timing, so I have checked it right back to basics by making sure that crankshaft at TDC aligns with both the camshaft and the injector pump, through observation rather than relying on the timing marks. As it happens all the evidence points to the timing marks being correct and lining up properly. As RLWP said, the engine runs - albeit briefly.

I'm back to the boat today armed with some new, clean, white diesel, a can of easy start, a blow torch and fingers crossed. Don't worry, the easy start and the blow torch won't be used in conjunction :blush:

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'll report back later.

Mari

Edited by notaminga

240 psi is very much on the low side for getting combustion. The fact that all cylinders are the same suggests a basic error rather than poor seating of valves or rings.

If today's tests don't work, do check valve timing again. A bit of oil introduced to each cylinder will help rings to seal and bump up the compression ratio for starting, too much can cause damage though.

Tim

I must admit I can't see any reason for the compression being low through error - the block was rebored to fit the new pistons, and they do in fact fit. There is no sign of any head gasket leakage. Indeed there is no sign of valve leakage or leakage around the injectors/glow plugs. Needless to say there was no sign of any cracks or damage in the head or block. I suppose a leakdown test would tell me more, but difficult to arrange in a boat moored in the middle of nowhere, and we don't have the equipment to do it.

I even considered whether or not I had fitted the wrong crankshaft, but have confirmed that it is indeed the right one - at least the piston crowns do rise flush with top of the block.

I must admit I can't see any reason for the compression being low through error - the block was rebored to fit the new pistons, and they do in fact fit. There is no sign of any head gasket leakage. Indeed there is no sign of valve leakage or leakage around the injectors/glow plugs. Needless to say there was no sign of any cracks or damage in the head or block. I suppose a leakdown test would tell me more, but difficult to arrange in a boat moored in the middle of nowhere, and we don't have the equipment to do it.

I even considered whether or not I had fitted the wrong crankshaft, but have confirmed that it is indeed the right one - at least the piston crowns do rise flush with top of the block.

I take it you rebuilt the engine and its you who has checked everything. Any chance of getting a fresh pair of eyes on it and getting someone else just to check. I often found when fault finding for any length of time someone else would spot something that was obvious to them but we had been looking past for hours.

The manual says the compression ratio is 21:1. By my reckoning multiplying this by air pressure at sea level (14.7 psi) suggests that compression should be over 300psi, but I have been hoping that the figure will be higher once the engine is running, hot and rings bedded in.

That's a bad reckoning to use - the compression is adiabatic, not isothermal.

• Greenie 1

Sorry I haven't read all the replies, but sounds like timing. Even though you have checked this, the timing needs to be exact as it will get worse at every revolution. Don't rely on the timing marks, particularly if you've rebuilt the engine and changed the crank etc., just try adjusting the pump timing "out" a little in each direction so to speak and see if that makes a difference. It might still "run" as you have suggested rev up high with diesel in the cylinders then die as the injection timing is not correct.

That's a bad reckoning to use - the compression is adiabatic, not isothermal.

Type 2 adiabatic, or type 1?

Sorry :)