45gal/205ltr drum

pete23

Featured Posts

evening.

how much bleech would you use to swill a 45 gal drum out??

ive got a couple of recon plastic ones i want to use to fill me water tanks up with, but feel i need to give them a bit of a swilling first!!!

tar.

Probably about 45 gallons if they were used to hold a cesspit overflow! :lol:

In some respects I would be more worried about what kind of plastic are these containers and are they food safe.

Assuming a bleach solution is used follow up with a good rinse out then swill round with a sodium metabisulfite solution (available from homebrew shops)

Chlorine and metabisulfite chemically neutralise each other and leave everything untainted and odourless.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I would say a cup full would be more than enough to kill any bugs and you would still need to rinse it several times to get rid of the taste

cheers dc, was going to fill barrels up in the back of my trailer and take for a drive then leave it in over night, then rinse them out for the best part of a day.

My thin bleach indicates 50ml per 5 litres off water for cleaning kitchen surfaces etc. This would seem fine to me as a ratio, but you should check your own bleach instructions.

Make sure you use Domestos, as it kills germs 'Dead!' as opposed to the other forms of killing germs that other bleaches do ... undead? Zombie germs?

Edited by brian1042

But I would add that the bleach will not remove any noxious chemicals. All it will do is kill bacteria.

N

Which brings us back to the most important point, do you know exactly what has been in those drums before you got them, not just their original use but has anyone put anything else in them since?

My thin bleach indicates 50ml per 5 litres off water for cleaning kitchen surfaces etc. This would seem fine to me as a ratio, but you should check your own bleach instructions.

I would use 5 litres diluted as indicated.

Make sure you use Domestos, as it kills germs 'Dead!' as opposed to the other forms of killing germs that other bleaches do ... undead? Zombie germs?

Which brings us back to the most important point, do you know exactly what has been in those drums before you got them, not just their original use but has anyone put anything else in them since?

no idea what was in them before, bloke i got them off reckons there good, but that means nothing!!!

been looking at some drinking water test kits you can get but not sure wich one to get.

no idea what was in them before, bloke i got them off reckons there good, but that means nothing!!!

been looking at some drinking water test kits you can get but not sure wich one to get.

My advice would be forget it. If you don't know what's been in there why risk it.

Would you drink water out of my pumpout tank if I give it a flush with chlorinated water? It could even be worse.