vandal locks

Smelly

Featured Posts

Your last comment seems to be implying it was me despite my post. I know full well I closed every lock. I am human, I may have missed one just the same as you might, but I can not recall doing so. Let's look at it from a different point of view. You say there were a couple of pounds emptied and as you say it was "local yoof" I assume you are not blaming me for that too. To empty the pounds I guess some of the paddles were opened by the local yoof, which given that even if the vandal locks were left open would still require a windlass of equivalent tool, therefore it must have been a premeditated act of ill intention. If they were locals arriving with the tools to open the paddles it is highly likely they would have the tools to open the vandal locks as well, afterall they are hardly a sophisticated key.

I would point out that I am a single hander and you will have realised that I stopped and closed all the gates after leaving, so why would I find it too much effort to push the locks back up after I have closed the paddles. As you say, it's not difficult.

Given my experience with this post I would like to make a general point to users of this forum. I have read comments on other topic encouraging the original poster to name and shame. Now I know this did not happen here and I thank the OP for that, but I would ask you to refrain from doing so as it is possible things may not always appear as they first seem to you, and you may end up accusing innocent person.

In this case I have named myself because I know I was that boat, but I also know I closed those vandal locks.

• Greenie 2

I find myself a little unsure about the topic of 'pound drained by vandalism' - I've no doubt it does happen, but my sneaking suspicion (at least on the L&L) is that the problem is more to do with badly leaking locks/paddle gear than 'yoof's armed with keys and windlass...

If there are other boats in the locks or you know other boats are behind you isn't it sensible to leave them off or is the risk that they will think they don't need to bother because they found then open...

I tend ot leave them off if I can see other boats about to enter or on the lock flight already. does this mean I can expect to be villified by their crews as irresponsible or thanked for my courtesy...

confused !

I tend ot leave them off if I can see other boats about to enter or on the lock flight already. does this mean I can expect to be villified by their crews as irresponsible or thanked for my courtesy...

confused !

I do exactly the same, most sensible boaters would treat this as being courteous.

I admit to being a bit miffed once when passing through Leeds and an officious geezer came up to me (as I was securing the paddle locks on one of the gates) - "make sure you lock them properly - we had a pound drained yesterday."

"- er yes what do you think it is that I'm in the middle of doing?"

In some places I wonder how necessary all the locks are? For example, handcuff locks were put on the Rufford branch many years ago at a time when this stretch was virtually unused. Today there are two busy marinas plus of course, its the route to the Ribble link. Maybe there could be a trial removing say two from each lock for a year to judge. They are mostly on chains bolted on and so would be fairly cheap to remove.

I shut them but if I see another boat coming then I don't ,I too have found empty pounds and non functioning vandal locks at odd times on the 21 but mostly they all work fine.Theyre a proper maul on your own,by the time i get to the top I'm loosing the will to live and need a hot curry to restore my energy levels!

If going down do you relock the paddles on the top gates when you close gates or walk round after the lock is empty and the bottom gates open to do them?

I have always locked them as I drop the paddles but reading this has made me rethink that strategy as if something went wrong and the paddles at the other end needed to be raised quickly then valuable time could be lost whilst trying to remove the anti vandal lock. Maybe I'll lock them once the boat is safely through in future.

I have always locked them as I drop the paddles but reading this has made me rethink that strategy as if something went wrong and the paddles at the other end needed to be raised quickly then valuable time could be lost whilst trying to remove the anti vandal lock. Maybe I'll lock them once the boat is safely through in future.

The quarter turn BCN style locks are easily opened in a split second so I always relock after dropping the paddle. The multi turn Ashton style are a different proposition in an emergency so I leave them off until the lock use is finished.

George ex nb Alton retired

No, I passed you between locks 15 and 16 and you seem to be implying I left all the vandal locks open. I know full well I closed them all and I find it upsetting to be accused I something I know full well I am not responsible for, despite the fact you did not actually name me. I consider myself a responsible boater and I always shut lock gates, paddles and any vandal locks. As a single hander I know how frustrating it is to be on the receiving end so I always leave locks, bridges etc exactly as they should be. I suspect in this case the local lads have a windlass and they appropriate vandal lock key.

No, I passed you between locks 15 and 16 and you seem to be implying I left all the vandal locks open. I know full well I closed them all and I find it upsetting to be accused I something I know full well I am not responsible for, despite the fact you did not actually name me. I consider myself a responsible boater and I always shut lock gates, paddles and any vandal locks. As a single hander I know how frustrating it is to be on the receiving end so I always leave locks, bridges etc exactly as they should be. I suspect in this case the local lads have a windlass and they appropriate vandal lock key.

John, I think Smelly is saying that there was another boat after you.

Her...

Sorry John but immediately above where we passed I commented to my better half that all the locks were off and we'd need close them. We backtracked and there was what I thought was a feed but it was the contents of two pounds coming down.

Ironic that it was onside neck and offside tail paddles that had been opened, by hand most likely as they were only a bit, if enough, open.