Cold start a Lister SR2

Wiff

Featured Posts

Mine starts surprisingly easily even in the coldest weather.

I find it best open the throttle half, flip the decompression levers and get the engine spinning (less strain on starter motor) then put them back and away she goes

Throttle back until warmed up a bit

Think the extra fuel switch is the way to go. I really dont want to think the engine is crackered just yet! As I said it has just been serviced in September and I think it is my lack of skill in using all the whistles and bells which is the problem. I usually do give it a good cranking as it does not respond instantly I just really dont need to flatten my batteries as then I would think I have another problem to fix which is not good. Will let you know how I get on x

Bit of faffing false starting flicking switches back and forth and holding the extra fuel switch open with the fuel tank dip stick and 4 Canals Lister roared back into life and has been happily not missing a beat since. Not quite sure what combination did it but no pyrotechnics or releasing of mood changing gases was required (sadly). Feel I have done well and are now saying thanks to Saint Lister with a glass of rum down my air intake! Cheers from Heather on the beautiful Caldon still living the dream x

If you use the method described,where you spin the engine for a few seconds with the decompression levers engaged and the fuel enrichment on,the engine will spin at higher than normal cranking speed.As well as building up revs before cranking,this will alow the oil pump to circulate lubricating oil.The initial start up is where most engine wear takes place.Not so critical in the summer,but helps the engine when the oil is very cold.Strongly recommend that you use neither blowlamps or easy start.

What is this 'fuel enrichment switch?' I have never used it, just crank till she goes, with the speedwheel turned up.

It's not actually a switch. Substitute the word "control" and it might be better.

I'm fairly sure (from distant memory) that you move the stop control in the opposite direction to get a boost of fuel, but I'm happy to be corrected if anyone knows better because it was over 20 years ago when I had an SR3.

The only cold start device that my manual mentions, is on the inlet manifold, where you can fill a cup (?) With petrol(?) To help things along. Of course, I can not find the manual right now..

No mention of a cold start setting on the stop switch.

They haven't got an excess fuel device. The poking around at the control lever plate with the dipstick must have just moved the rack rods by chance onto the full throttle position which is what the throttle control lever will do anyway. That control mechanism down there is quite delicate and i wouldn't poke around down there unless you know what your doing.

It is actually refered to as the "over load trip " "and should only be used in cold weather to allow pumps to deliver excess fuel" end quote :cheers:

On a fixed speed industrial engine to over ride the governor to give it full throttle yes. On a variable speed marine SR this could be rigged up, perhaps that's what some people have done, but I doubt if it would pull the rack rods any further than the Morse throttle lever, maybe a little. :cheers:

I was shown the lever by a boat engineer who has many years of experience working with Narrowboats. He informed me that in the winter I pull this devise out from the main body of the engine and it would ensure easy starting in sub zero temperatures. It would appear that the previous owner of the boat did not know of this option as it was he who told me he always used a blow torch. I cannot see any information on he internet either. It is a mystery but what ever I do it has so far worked!

I was shown the lever by a boat engineer who has many years of experience working with Narrowboats. He informed me that in the winter I pull this devise out from the main body of the engine and it would ensure easy starting in sub zero temperatures. It would appear that the previous owner of the boat did not know of this option as it was he who told me he always used a blow torch. I cannot see any information on he internet either. It is a mystery but what ever I do it has so far worked!

Yes that is just pulling the injector pumps throttle rack actuating rod out at the front of the gearcase, not really recommended as the delicate lightweight springs can be stretched. By pushing it in stops the engine, it may and it looks like it is giving you a little more fuel to aid cold starts but full throttle on the Morse control should really be quite ample.

Yes that is just pulling the injector pumps throttle rack actuating rod out at the front of the gearcase, not really recommended as the delicate lightweight springs can be stretched. By pushing it in stops the engine, it may and it looks like it is giving you a little more fuel to aid cold starts but full throttle on the Morse control should really be quite ample.

The stop control is a small butterfly lever which can be pulled out and turned the opposite way (anticlockwise) to allow excess fuel for starting. Nothing naughty about it, it's part of the engine design. Do remember to turn the lever back to the 'run' position once the engine is running, otherwise you will get excessive smoke when 'opening the throttle'.

Tim

They haven't got an excess fuel device. The poking around at the control lever plate with the dipstick must have just moved the rack rods by chance onto the full throttle position which is what the throttle control lever will do anyway. That control mechanism down there is quite delicate and i wouldn't poke around down there unless you know what your doing.

Are you still talking about SR engines here Bizzard, or have we drifted to another engine? Because I know that mine definitely DID have a cold-start control, activated I think (as I said above) by moving the "stop" lever in the opposite direction.

Are you still talking about SR engines here Bizzard, or have we drifted to another engine? Because I know that mine definitely DID have a cold-start control, activated I think (as I said above) by moving the "stop" lever in the opposite direction.

Page 17 of this document has instructions and a drawing http://www.scribd.com/doc/36408072/Lister-SR2-Manual

Could there possibly be variants in the design and marinisation from the long service life of the engine?

Not that start/stop control, as far as I'm aware, common to all the small air cooled Listers over many years.

Tim

Page 17 of this document has instructions and a drawing http://www.scribd.com/doc/36408072/Lister-SR2-Manual

Thank you (I was sure I wasn't imagining it)

I'm still missing something here.....

I can see the stuff about "Cold Starting Oil Injector Device" - "An oil cup mounted on the inlet valve port is used to assist starting in frosty conditions".

But I'm still not seeing what Allan is describing.

To me a lot of what is there is anyway about a fixed speed engine, not a marine one, and seems to be over-ridden by the bit that says "On a propulsion engine set the speed lever as 'fast'".

But perhaps I'm misinterpreting?