Trad stern seating

Pirate

Featured Posts

Generally called Taff Rails.

And it depends. Depending on the size and shape of the trad stern, but in general you'll find that in most cases, they restrict you from getting on and off the boat.

I wouldn't sit on one of these rails to steer the boat, too dangerous I think. I always stand in the hatches, in front of the tiller. That way, the tiller can't swing across at you and give you a nasty crack.

I have tried a few types of seating, a cushion on the roof, that didn't work. Once made a contraption that was suspended from the hatch rail with an upholstered seat at the right height, gave up on that. I have now settled on a office type high stool with some extra buoyancy built in, awkward to use at times but I haven't found anything better.

Hate the idea of those taff rail things they look naff apart from anything else.

John,

A friend of mine had one of those types of chairs on his narrowboat. Only took me around 2 hours to get comfy on it and then the first time I moved afterwards. Whoops. Kicked it in the cut by accident. I Just stand now, it's easier (although I have young legs).

I wouldn't bother with a fixed seat on the deck of a Trad stern boat. Apart from the fact that they look ridiculous, as Dan has poined out, it is likely to be more of a hazaard than an asset. I have actually made an upholstered seat which sits between the handrail and the hatch slides (with the slide open) but to be honest I rarely use it, as I prefer to stand inside the hatch.

It's one thing to stand there for a couple of hours but 7+ hours at the tiller gets a bit tiring, the stool I have is an industrial type very simple thing, 4 legs of 1 inch box section with an upholstered top, bought it from a second have office equipment place in Gloucester. I even made a rain hat for it to stop it getting too soggy and a polystyrene float fixed below.

Those 'Taff' rails are now compulsory on a new built trad. So one doesn't have a choice.

I sincerely hope that's not true!......

Very few of the new build trad sterns I'm seeing seem to have them, so as David says, if that really is now the regs, its certainly being ignored by many.

Each to their own, but I think they are downright dangerous, heavily restricting being able to step on and off the counter from any angle, in my view.

Hopefully the HSSE Gurus will not insist on them as a retro-fit to the likes of President, etc, etc!......

I suppose you could always take an angle grinder to them afterwards!

Edited to add..

Although Traditional style sterns are thought to be more dangerous than a semi trad or a cruiser sterned boat, but you can still have accidents on all types of boats.

Going back to the sad incident which happened a couple of weeks ago with that Canal Time hirer, which I beleive was also a cruiser stern (as is the rest of their fleet) had rails around the stern.

Edited by Liam

I suppose you could always take an angle grinder to them afterwards!

Edited to add..

Although Traditional style sterns are thought to be more dangerous than a semi trad or a cruiser sterned boat, but you can still have accidents on all types of boats.

Going back to the sad incident which happened a couple of weeks ago with that Canal Time hirer, which I beleive was also a cruiser stern (as is the rest of their fleet) had rails around the stern.

The pervious owner of my boat put on a long trad seat which broke when someone was rocking around on it. So it is now two seats, but considering his DIY abilities I never use them (but haven't removed them either). I like the idea of having something there to stop one falling backwards, but I usually stand in the boat as Liam does which seems far more sensible. I intend to get a seat for there at some point, but until then if I wanted to sit I sit on the roof.

I don`t think Taffrails are now compulsory . The new boat that just passed all the things they have to pass these days before they are considered safe enough didn`t have them . Neither has the next one in build , and Dave Harris , the guy who builds the new boats at our yard is very meticulous when it comes to the regulations.

I also think they are dangerous . The working boatmen did very long days and seemed to stand in the hatches leaning one way or the other or they sat on the roof with their feet in the hatches. I always found both comfortable and practical .

Cheers

Phil

I don`t think Taffrails are now compulsory . The new boat that just passed all the things they have to pass these days before they are considered safe enough didn`t have them . Neither has the next one in build , and Dave Harris , the guy who builds the new boats at our yard is very meticulous when it comes to the regulations.

I also think they are dangerous . The working boatmen did very long days and seemed to stand in the hatches leaning one way or the other or they sat on the roof with their feet in the hatches. I always found both comfortable and practical .

Cheers

Phil

:P phil is that the Dave Harris who build the northwhich style boat Hauman as it is moored near us in leicestershire. We will belooking for a shell in that style in the next year or so

David

Edited by davidandheather

Well if they are not compulsory Gary is winding me up because I asked him to cut those off of my boat and that is what he told me.

Quote MSN Messenger 16/05/2006 10:46:05 Gary Peacock to Maffi

and the law now says you must have them. Saying that what we do with them afterwards would be your mods not ours so we could chop them off.

Edited by Maffi

Well if they are not compulsory Gary is winding me up because I asked him to cut those off of my boat and that is what he told me.

and the law now says you must have them. Saying that what we do with them afterwards would be your mods not ours so we could chop them off.

So it seems you really weren't having a joke at our expense, then, Maffi ?

I can only repeat that it seems many builders are ignoring this law, because most of the new trad stern shells I'm seeing have neither these rails, not any obvious scarring where they have been removed as a "customer mod". (The latter obviously can't apply anyway when a brand new completed boat is being sold directly through a broker, with no previous owner but the builder....).

If Gary has this right, (and I guess he has), then it's one more indication of the world having gone just a little madder.....

I'm often quite pleased to own an older boat, not bound down by all the latest "good" ideas......

So it seems you really weren't having a joke at our expense, then, Maffi ?

As if I would! :lol:

My plans did include seat/rails but if you look they were not just sticks with planks on and they were to be detachable.

From my drawing it can be seen that I wanted dogleg supports so they could be turned in or out, but there again the rules say that nothing is to protrude past the button.

It's all bXlloX if you ask me! Whats the point of designing a boat if some twat in an ivory tower changes the rules.

Edited by Maffi

well i happen to think its somewhere to rest a weary buttock...as it happens...

:)especially when you've had a few hours at the tiller....

erm is that a sweary word? (sux in a massive amoount of air)....

"Incoming"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is you who is being wound up here Maffi.

Gary is not normally shy in coming forward with the text and regulation number governing almost anything to do with boatbuilding, but he has been very quiet on this one.