Ever Seen These Before?

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

1) Garmin 750 Chartplotter

2) Raymarine Autopilot

3) Lewmar Windlass

I can just about do the windlass seeing as a 25Kg anchor is mentioned

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=271863

I would agree that the autopilot sounds a bit OTT but there are a lot of inshore sheltered waters where I would like to have a chartplotter if the visability clamps down (esp. in the wild and woolly Northlands) :unsure:

Chartplotter tells you where you are

Autopilot takes you where you want to go.

My memory (backed up by the view through the hatch) is that canals and rivers have banks to tell you where you are - and they can very often be used to help take you where you want to go!

My memory (backed up by the view through the hatch) is that canals and rivers have banks to tell you where you are - and they can very often be used to help take you where you want to go!

Lower bits of the Trent? Humber? Bristol Channel? Thames Estuary? Tixall wide? :rolleyes:

Lower bits of the Trent? Humber? Bristol Channel? Thames Estuary? Tixall wide? :rolleyes:

Fairy nuff!

But to be serious, it looks like a very nice boat at what is possibly a good price for an almost new, no-expense-spared 60' Piper. It's just that these gizmos somewhat jumped out at me, ambushing the rest of the spec STS.

Quite handy to get between the Scottish canals :P

Dscn5144.jpg

Skirting Dorus Mor whirlpools, Crinan in the distance

But in a Cat D vessel? (RCD spec: Significant wave height = 300mm max & wind no greater than Force 3). Pretty limiting up here in Scotland. We Cat D boats like to keep our banks very much in sight!

I would agree that the autopilot sounds a bit OTT but there are a lot of inshore sheltered waters where I would like to have a chartplotter if the visability clamps down (esp. in the wild and woolly Northlands) :unsure:

Nice to see they havnt wasted any money on a sissy button though. 140k for a fat narrowboat berlimey !! :cheers:

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

Nice to see they havnt wasted any money on a sissy button though. 140k for a fat narrowboat berlimey !! :cheers:

Tim

That's a 60' x 12' fat narrowboat, just one year old, Piper pedigree with less than 100 hours on the engine. It's just the blue water gizmos that made my mind boggle!

There's no law that prevents somebody with a boat certified to Cat D from taking it to places that aren't Cat D, and as certifying it to any higher level involves the expense of a notified body, there are plenty of boats certified to Cat D that are quite capable of managing Cat C (or even B) waters. An insurance company might have a problem with somebody taking a boat only certified to Cat D further afield, but equally they might not (they might just ask for a survey to confirm it's capable, or maybe just a larger premium).

Having said that, a chartplotter could be useful on Loch Ness, and the autopilot would let a solo boater leave the helm to use the head or make tea. It's a four or five hour trip from one end of the Loch to the other, and you have to go a bit further at the northern end before you come to anywhere you can moor the boat. The windlass not only makes light work of hauling up a 25kg anchor (which to be honest sounds a bit small to me for a boat of that size) and chain, but also lets you deploy or haul up the anchor from the helm, rather than running up and down a 60 foot long boat. An increasing number of boats on the Broads have electric windlasses for the mudweight, either because it's too heavy for the owners/hirers, or because it makes short handed or solo boating easier.

I am inclined to agree about the size of anchor unless of course its a Bruce, my 66 footer is fitted with a 160lb CQR which is probably OTT but it's what came along at the right price.

I still would have to be convinced about autopilot on a vessel that does only limited open water passages it seems a lot of money to just avoid having sarnies and a flask at hand. :cheers:

Edited by John V

I am inclined to agree about the size of anchor unless of course its a Bruce, my 66 footer is fitted with a 160lb CQR which is probably OTT but it's what came along at the right price.

I still would have to be convinced about autopilot on a vessel that does only limited open water passages it seems a lot of money to just avoid having sarnies and a flask at hand. :cheers:

I also think it's quite a lot of money when a couple of bits of bungee cord could probably do the same job, but it's not my money, so who am I to comment on how it's been spent?

I also think it's quite a lot of money when a couple of bits of bungee cord could probably do the same job, but it's not my money, so who am I to comment on how it's been spent?

I don't know much about autopilots, but I imagine some of them could also provide joystick manual/hydraulic steering?

If that's the case, maybe the original owner rationalised the 'auto' bit as a fairly low cost extra, on top of the cost of joystick steering?

Tim

This boat is a Cat D. What would Mr Spalls vessel be then?

Martyn

Cat B - although I have seen it described as exceeding Cat C & B.

It is one of Peter Nicolls range of FCN Seagoing Motor Barges http://www.steelboats.com/widebeam_barges/FCN_barge.htm

Definitions of Boat Design Categories.

‘A’ OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.

‘B’ OFFSHORE: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including, wind force 8 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 4 m may be experienced.

‘C’ INSHORE: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2 m may be experienced.

‘D’ SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and canals when conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3 m may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5 m maximum height, for example from passing vessels.

Edited by Up-Side-Down

Cat B - although I have seen it described as exceeding Cat C & B.

It is one of Peter Nicolls range of FCN Seagoing Motor Barges http://www.steelboat...s/FCN_barge.htm

Definitions of Boat Design Categories.

‘A’ OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.

‘B’ OFFSHORE: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including, wind force 8 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 4 m may be experienced.

‘C’ INSHORE: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2 m may be experienced.

‘D’ SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and canals when conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3 m may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5 m maximum height, for example from passing vessels.

Thanks for that.

I will save that somewhere and then forget where. However,I didn't know the different categories.

Going back to Mr & Mrs Spall. When watching the series on telly, I do cringe a bit when the goffers come over the bow of their boat.

Martyn.