Condensation on Windows

Puckle

Featured Posts

I seem to be getting a lot of condensation on some of my windows. Does anyone have any tips on how to minimise this.

Thanks

Barry

It's an occupational hazard - especially at this time of year I'm afraid.

LPG appliances burning and humans breathing generate a lot of vapor which condenses on cold surfaces - first target being your (cold at this time of the year) windows.

Double glazing your boat would perhaps sort it to a degree - but it would be expensive, and not worth doing it retrospectively in my opinion.

LPG appliances burning and humans breathing generate a lot of vapor which condenses on cold surfaces - first target being your (cold at this time of the year) windows.

Double glazing your boat would perhaps sort it to a degree - but it would be expensive, and not worth doing it retrospectively in my opinion.

Magnetic tape and good quality perspex, 40squid per window

Magnetic tape and good quality perspex, 40squid per window

I was thinking 'proper' sealed DG - good to know your version works.

Edited by The Dog House

Expensive but in my opinion a dehumidifier is the best option, you could insulate your windows to form a sort of double glazing with cling film type stuff, but by doing that it is possible that the moisture within your boat instead of going to the windows would condensate in other cooler out of way places. IE behind/inside cupboards and behind draws.

Thanks Martyn, Thanks Jenlyn. I guessed it might be a problem to prevent

Barry

Edited by Puckle

Expensive but in my opinion a dehumidifier is the best option,

My daughter has one of these in her house to keep the damp down....it sounds like a powerful old motor running in there - how much does one draw?

Expensive but in my opinion a dehumidifier is the best option, you could insulate your windows to form a sort of double glazing with cling film type stuff, but by doing that it is possible that the moisture within your boat instead of going to the windows would condensate in other cooler out of way places. IE behind/inside cupboards and behind draws.

We've just put that 'cling film' stuff on most of the boat's windows this weekend (used Tesa, about £10 for a box that did all we needed).

The results this morning are amazing. We didn't do bathroom and kitchen windows, and these had the usual condensation this morning.

We have a dehumidifier as well, which does get a fair bit of water in its tray.

My daughter has one of these in her house to keep the damp down....it sounds like a powerful old motor running in there - how much does one draw?

I bought one from b&q, 165 quid, has a 2 litre bowl, drinks electric as fast as it draws water, even emptied my flipping toilet bowl!

I have just bought a new dehumidifier for my boat, not used it on the boat yet, the latest desiccant type are so quiet, and they do give out some heat. It has adjustable power settings, but at full power the consumption is 650 watts.

I bought one from b&q, 165 quid, has a 2 litre bowl, drinks electric as fast as it draws water, even emptied my flipping toilet bowl!

That was my thinking - OK if you are on shore power maybe??

but not if you are off grid... :unsure:

That was my thinking - OK if you are on shore power maybe??

but not if you are off grid... :unsure:

Couple of hours in the evening whilst genny is running.

Oh, and if you put cling film over the toilet bowl to stop the water being drawn out, don't forget to tell the other half B)

Edited by jenlyn

Couple of hours in the evening whilst genny is running.

Oh, and if you put cling film over the toilet bowl to stop the water being drawn out, don't forget to tell the other half B)

When I said 'off grid' I meant with no external 240V supply....

I wonder how a boater with a dehumidifier would fare generating all their own power without 240v being supplied externally to their boat. :unsure:

When I said 'off grid' I meant with no external 240V supply....

I wonder how a boater with a dehumidifier would fare generating all their own power without 240v being supplied externally to their boat. :unsure:

Well you don't need a fridge in the winter at least. Ours is 600W on full which is still way too much without a shoreline. Probably effective enough to run only when charging though

Barry - - are you on shorepower - with 230v power on the boat? - - If you are - I'd seriously consider a dehumidifier

We run ours throughout the cold nights - and it takes a couple of litres a night out of the atmosphere

Hi Grace & favour. Yes I am on shore power.I was thinking about a dehumidifier. I have seen granulated ones in the shops that don't need power. I wonder if they work. thanks

I use condentation on the windows as a sign to drag the moist air out,it will loose your heat though unless you use dehumidifers .i think double glzing may just mask the humid air problem then mould could develop.the boat will feel warmer with dryer air.