Night visitor

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Thinking about it now, it was bigger than a cat, more like a dog. A huge dog. In fact maybe it was a panther. I shall write to the papers saying I have seen "The Beast of Lichfield" and request that armed police be sent to dispatch it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Doh! People post too fast! Logged in to give you a greenie for this and accidentally gave it to the wrong poster! :rolleyes: Have a virtual one! :cheers:

As has been suggested, feeding birds attracts rats. We had a very large rat living behind our shed, and he/she got quite tame coming out for bird food without a care, despite the protests of our dogs. I haven't seen it this year and assume it has died. Never actually seen one aboard our boat, but law of averages says there must have been. We are never far from them.

... so do unmoving CMs encourage rats?

Are CMs generally oblivious to such niceties as generator running hours?

Is it a bad idea to moor near CMs?

Taking your questions in turn:

No more than, say, rubbish bins at marinas

No more than, say, them posh boats with lots of unnecessary electrics (like well deck lights & tellys)

It depends. Personally, if i'm in a area like the outskirts of a big city where i'm not too sure what the moorings are like then I'll choose to moor near local boaters who may have a restricted cruising range just for a bit of safety.

I'll usually go and chat to them as well (unless they look like they want to be left alone) just so they know i'm a nice person & they wont send their pet vermins to steal my coal

This has never happened to us before (that we know about), so do unmoving CMs encourage rats?

Lots of people continuously moor - many pay for the privilege. If rats were encouraged by CMs I don't think they would be capable of knowing who had paid for their mooring and who hadn't. Rats aren't encouraged by CMs, they are attracted to rubbish and food scraps which are left outside.

Are CMs generally oblivious to such niceties as generator running hours?

Some are, some aren't. Some boaters with moorings are also oblivious to the rules.

Is it a bad idea to moor near CMs?

So you saw a rat on your deck which you've attributed to the CMs and they ran their generator late but it was quiet and didn't disturb you. Was it really such a bad experience?

Edited by blackrose

So you saw a rat on your deck which you've attributed to the CMs and they ran their generator late but it was quiet and didn't disturb you. Was it really such a bad experience?

Perhaps you read a different post, because I didn't attribute the rat to the CMs and I didn't say it was a bad experience, it was merely an interesting one.

I don't mind being flamed but just wish it could be for something I actually wrote, rather than something you hoped I wrote! I'll give you a clue which is that Martin had it right in post #5.

Thinking about it now, it was bigger than a cat, more like a dog. A huge dog. In fact maybe it was a panther. I shall write to the papers saying I have seen "The Beast of Lichfield" and request that armed police be sent to dispatch it.

That's my man Nick. You have this forum well copped. Your rat could be a mink, coypu, dormouse, but it most definitely is not a) a rat or B) a CMer. LOL

Edited by Pentargon

Ted Ellis the naturalist use to eat Coypu, The rated them highly say that they lived on the best of everything.

Back in the fifties in Norfolk we used to trap the coypu, they played hell with the dyke banks, when we checked the traps it was a question of shoot it or let the dog have it if it wasn't too big.

We also used to eat them, a lot of people thought they were eating chicken, often wished I could get them now