Traditional Cabin Stool

dave moore

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...

Hopefully there will in the future be a new kid on the block.

Tom Downing:

He is a young man who works sometimes at the Stourbridge dry dock and also for John Sanderson (the painter who took over from Phil Speight). He is working hard, learning all aspects of the boat trade including traditional decoration.

To their great credit, rather than keep their skills secret, both Dave Moore and Ian Kemp have given him their time and tuition to help him develop and pass their skills to the next generation.

I've just given him his first pro job decorating my saloon doors so I hope one day he will be as famous as his tutors.

Edited by andywatson

• 2 months later...

Looks very well constructed.

In true boatyard tradition, the one I made was built entirely of solid timber from the off cuts bin in my workshop:-

MyStool002.jpg

MyStool001.jpg

As already indicated by Terence, they do know each other, as do most of the top boat decorators. I have met most of them over the years and my observations would suggest that whilst there is a healthy and good natured rivalry between them, there is cetainly no jealousy. They all have their own styles, and I am sure they will all admit to being influenced by the work of others (both alive and deceased). I am also sure they would take the view that if you like their work you will engage them, and if you prefer someone else's work you will not.

Dave is probably too modest to post images of his work so here is a photo of the back panels on our boat painted by him a couple of months ago:-

helvetia%20signwriting.jpg

And here are a couple of images of his Roses and Castles :-

-Dave+Moore+015.JPG

-Dave+Moore+017.JPG

Yes Dave did our NB signwriting too (the previous owner commissioned it). I get lots of comments about it and photographs taken, it's a credit to him. A decent signwriting adds value and enjoyment I reckon.

IMAG2062_zps7f77a758.jpg

We have had work done by Terence and his attention to detail is excellent, as is Dave's. I am quite handy at many things but artwork such as this is beyond me. It is a gift to be able to transform something from one's mind onto a canvas or other base material and I believe it's correct to say that a well painted boat adds value.

It certainly draws attention from gongoozlers.

You sound like me DMan - I'll turn my hand to anything and I'm happy down to 1/4" to 1/8" clearance - then it all goes a bit wrong...........

Only 1/4" to 1/8" ?

That sounds like precision work to me! :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ray

Thanks for flagging this up, I've been watching it over the last few days. Auction just ended and I lost!! Bugger!

It's certainly Braunston style painting and I think it may be the work of George Crowshaw from the 50s, he took over from Frank Nurser. Lovely bit of work, right in every way.

Ah well

Dave

Plus or minus half a brick was always my standard of achievement

Looking at your post Homer I suffer from double standards! :-)

Edited by Doorman

• 1 year later...

Hi again all

A couple of years ago I started this thread, having had sufficient timber spare after making a cabin stool. It's happened again, this time I've made the stool. Currently it's in bare timber, if anyone is interested it could be painted up to complement your existing colour scheme. Monty's stool is shown earlier, the one I've just finished is more elabor ate with a castle, diamonds and lining on the top. PM me if interested and we can take things from there. Afraid I can't put up pictures here, but will happily email them to an email address.

Thanks

Dave

• 1 month later...