Water Pump

Featured Posts

Hello All,

I'm now busy designing the plumbing layout our boat and wondered on your thoughts regarding the positioning of the water pump? Our boat has a S/S tank mounted under the bow and I have to tell the builder where I want the 12v tail for the pump in the next few days. My thoughts are that the pump should be as near to the tank as possible but, given that the bedroom will be at the bow too, should I move it to somewhere less noisy such as the bathroom or galley? Any advice and experiences regarding what not to do, and what works would be appreciated - thank you!! :help:

I'm now busy designing the plumbing layout our boat and wondered on your thoughts regarding the positioning of the water pump? Our boat has a S/S tank mounted under the bow and I have to tell the builder where I want the 12v tail for the pump in the next few days. My thoughts are that the pump should be as near to the tank as possible but, given that the bedroom will be at the bow too, should I move it to somewhere less noisy such as the bathroom or galley? Any advice and experiences regarding what not to do, and what works would be appreciated - thank you!! :help:

Many boats have a space btween the tank and the bulkhead, so some noise insulation can help!

It is more likely to depend on where you are running the pipework. Floor level tends to prevent freezing and enables you to have a gravity fed pump. If the plumbing is under the gunnel, then the pump will have to be pretty close to the tank?

As a result of havlng two tanks and two pumps we also have two accumulators and an unexpected bonus of the latter is the ability to turn the pumps off overnight and have enough residual pressure to last until morning. When we are aboard missus turns them on in the morning for a shower but that's ok as it gets me out of my pit.

We have a SS tank in the bow and water pump in the engine room and have never had any water pressure or pumping problems, I also only used 15mm pipe to feed the pump from the tank, but the pump is low down in the engine room so gravity would feed it anyway.

Ours runs along the base plate and I've never bothered to insulate it although it probably would be wise to do so, (I've been intending to though), but hasn't frozen on us yet. You can hear the pump when running though from the saloon at the front/bow even though I mounted it on a board with rubber mounts but it's at the back of the boat and not loud enough to be annoying. I would avoid putting it in or adjacent to living space though as a personal preference, as it would be noisier and annoying.

Edited by Julynian

Where ever you end up putting it, make sure it's easy to access.

You'll need to get to it ;)

Thanks guys; I appreciate the advice - which now leads onto what make of pump? I'm looking for reliability without breaking the bank too much!! :help:

I've got a Sureflo 2200 fitted under the kitchen sink

11 litres per min', 12v, 30 psi

If you can mount the pump on the water tank itself it'll also act as splendid acoustic water level gauge.

Tank nearly empty= a deep regular resonating base drum boinging noise will be heard.

Tank full= A high pitched staccato rat-tat-a-tat snare drum sound will be heard. Plus all the varying drum sound pitches in between. Hope this helps and sounds good. :closedeyes:

I hasten to add, that by toying with with a tap backwards and forwards to speed up and slow down the pump all manner of different drum beats and drum rolls can be concocted. Which would be a handy pastime during the dark winter months when your bored. :unsure:

Edited by bizzard