Towpath cyclists

dor

Featured Posts

This on the Guardian website: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/nov/01/cyclist-pedestrian-canal-towpath

The article comes out with the same old stuff; it is the comments underneath that make interesting reading...

I think the comments make depressing reading; mainly discussing the circumstances which would justify pushing other towpath users into the canal. I am sure they are not boaters.

Paul

This on the Guardian website: http://www.guardian....n-canal-towpath

The article comes out with the same old stuff; it is the comments underneath that make interesting reading...

Funny how cyclists are not allowed to ride on wide smooth pavements because of danger to pedestrians - yet they are encouraged to on a narrow often muddy potholed canal towpath. The inconsistency is breathtaking. Wouldn't have anything to do with sustrans giving money to CART would it? Thought not !!!!!

Funny how cyclists are not allowed to ride on wide smooth pavements because of danger to pedestrians - yet they are encouraged to on a narrow often muddy potholed canal towpath. The inconsistency is breathtaking. Wouldn't have anything to do with sustrans giving money to CART would it? Thought not !!!!!

Dont get me started :angry: one thing I realy hate is damn vehicles on the towpath !!

Tim

There's a winning grumpy pedestrian comment on there:

Just one more canal bugbear - it most certainly is not, as someone suggested, a 'smog-free' environment. On rare occasions I run home along the tow path, and in winter it is hugely polluted by the houseboats and their solid fuel cookers/heaters, whose chimneys handily come just up to head height. They should have to have much taller chimneys (probably telescopic, so they can shrink them to get under bridges/tunnels).

Sounds like a job for bizzard.

• Greenie 1

As both boater and cyclist I cycle on towpaths and feel that generally this should be allowed. After all, lockwheeling is quite a tradition among boaters I believe. Clearly mutual care and respect is needed, as in many other aspects of life!

However, having walked and cycled on the stretch referred to in the Guardian article, I really do have doubts about allowing cycling there. It is very busy and has many blindspots and narrow sections. An alternative safe cycle route parallel to the route of the canal is required.

• Greenie 1

If we encouraged towpath cyclists to wear badger costumes

Would we not be allowed to cull them?

No !! There has been a u turn and badger culling I am pleased to say is not on the cards at the moment :D

Tim

As both boater and cyclist I cycle on towpaths and feel that generally this should be allowed. After all, lockwheeling is quite a tradition among boaters I believe. Clearly mutual care and respect is needed, as in many other aspects of life!

However, having walked and cycled on the stretch referred to in the Guardian article, I really do have doubts about allowing cycling there. It is very busy and has many blindspots and narrow sections. An alternative safe cycle route parallel to the route of the canal is required.

I agree - although I have been known to cycle on towpaths where conditions permit, I think most are unsuitable for cycling in safety. Similarly, I am not at all fond of the present trend of encouraging cycling on footpaths. In my view footpaths are for pedestrians.

Towpaths were originally designed for pedestrians and horses but I doubt if, in many areas, they are even safe for horses these days. Cycling (or motorcycling) should only be permitted where the towpath is sufficiently wide and appropriately surfaced. In all circumstances, I believe that vehicles (including bicycles, wheelchairs etc. - whether motorised or not) on towpaths ought to be required to give way to pedestrians.

Signs recently erected near road works in Leamington Spa include "Cyclists Dismount" and "Cyclists use the footway" - both are apparent instructions which merely serve to demonstrate the lack of understanding or prejudice that many in authority have about bicycle usage. A bicycle is a vehicle - often used for commuting and, as such, ought to be on the road and afforded similar status as other road vehicles - you don't see sign inviting car drivers to get out and push or drive on pavements so why should bicycles be targetted in this way?

If we encouraged towpath cyclists to wear badger costumes

Would we not be allowed to cull them?

Tut tut . . .

For some reason I am not allowed to give Alnwick a greeny but I would if I could

sitecrew can't be given rewards!!

its ironic that I drive up and down our towpaths on a regular basis doing maintenance, the big difference is that no matter where I am I always give others right of way and even turn off the engine when a passing horse is present (even have to lead one landowners horse past as it shy's easily, but will walk forward happily if someone leads and reassures him)

shame other users can't show the same consideration.

There used to be a 'waterways cycle permit', but I can't now find evidence of it, it was free, but could be revoked if a holders actions were deemed dangerous or against the waterways 'codes'. It is referred to here , but the link goes to the C&RT site that I then can't find a download point for, so maybe they have scrapped it. They are certainly encouraging cycling on towpaths though, including for 'health'........who's health? Not that of pedestrians I suspect.

Up here in Scotland we have the Outdoor Access Code which roughly means that if you don't have a motor, and you're sensible you can go pretty much anywhere. It all comes down to rights and responsibilities. I don't think there is anything wrong with people cycling, walking, riding etc on towpaths as long as people treat their rights responsibly.

The logic on the road that you give way to the more vulnerable party should still apply. So bikes give way to pedestrians give way to badgers (?!?) or something. Towpaths are so much safer than roads for cyclists, and are nice and flat so can be pretty ideal.

I think quite often this comes down to people being a bit intolerant of other people doing things that don't suit them. So cyclists can't be bothered slowing down all the time because they want to keep their momentum up. Walkers can't be bothered getting out of the way or controlling their dogs all the time. Badgers can't be bothered waiting for walkers to bugger off.

Cycling has many many benefits for health, fitness, the environment, reducing traffic etc so shout at the irresponsible ones but love the others!

• Greenie 2

Towpaths were originally designed for pedestrians and horses but I doubt if, in many areas, they are even safe for horses these days. Cycling (or motorcycling) should only be permitted where the towpath is sufficiently wide and appropriately surfaced. In all circumstances, I believe that vehicles (including bicycles, wheelchairs etc. - whether motorised or not) on towpaths ought to be required to give way to pedestrians.

I hope I have misread this but it reads as if you're saying those of us who are physically more able should have priority over those who are physically less able. I would hope that most people would give way to someone in a wheelchair and not expect it to be the other way around. I know I would (and regularly do) give way to someone less able.

I agree that cyclists should give way to pedestrians. Considerate cyclists will do this already. Is it not then also expected that considerate pedestrians will move to one side to let a cycle past after a ding of the bell or a polite call of "excuse me"?

To address the main topic...

Cycling is not a dangerous activity. Some cyclists are inconsiderate but that is no reason to call for segregation of all modes of transport. Better education of those who pose a (perceived?) threat to make them more considerate would be beneficial to everyone and make the towpaths a better place.

There are plenty of inconsiderate pedestrians (littering, anyone?) out there but no one is calling for a ban on people walking along the towpaths.