Which boat for canals and rivers

johnofyork

Featured Posts

Looking tor live aboard boat for retirement.

Started looking at narowboats a few months ago and it's still a possibility.

However, is there a type of cruiser for larger canals and rivers that would also cross the channel on the right day?

What's the technical name for such a boat?

Would like to tour the UK and France if possible.

Only need 2 berths and used to living in compact accommodation.

Thanks

Heavens, that's a huge topic.

I'd start here at the DBA - clicky on this text

A small barge is a contradiction in terms, they're all big (no sense in having a short broadbeam boat. However, I've seen a couple of small barges on the Thames which may have been used as tugs (?). These were of Dutch origin.

I suggest you do some research - especially the pros and cons of the French waterways which have particular challenges.

All barges will be pricey as they are very suitable for liveaboards and for folks who want to cruise afar.

Heavens, that's a huge topic.

I'd start here at the DBA - clicky on this text

A small barge is a contradiction in terms, they're all big (no sense in having a short broadbeam boat. However, I've seen a couple of small barges on the Thames which may have been used as tugs (?). These were of Dutch origin.

I suggest you do some research - especially the pros and cons of the French waterways which have particular challenges.

All barges will be pricey as they are very suitable for liveaboards and for folks who want to cruise afar.

Was wondering if there was ANY type of cruiser that would do the job, not just a steel barge. Fibreglass cruiser?

If you want something newish and on the smaller side then

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=236129

this is just an example - though I am moored nearby :)

Looks OK except for the price but yes good example

Was wondering if there was ANY type of cruiser that would do the job, not just a steel barge. Fibreglass cruiser?

Plenty of cruisers grp or wooden can cross the Channel and have a shallow enough draft for canal and river use.

Whether or not they are suitable for living on really depends on your requirements.

Plenty of cruisers grp or wooden can cross the Channel and have a shallow enough draft for canal and river use.

Whether or not they are suitable for living on really depends on your requirements.

That sounds like the type I'm looking for. Don't have big requirements as I can manage in a 20 x 6 foot campervan.

30 to 45 x 10 foot cruiser would be a luxury.

raft2.jpg

Think we are getting a bit closer to my requirements

Looks OK except for the price but yes good example

Lovely replica barges like that don't come cheap unfortunately - Sagar were a well respected builder of such boats and they do command a bit of a premium.

236129_1.jpg?1351092204

:wub:

Looking tor live aboard boat for retirement.

Started looking at narowboats a few months ago and it's still a possibility.

However, is there a type of cruiser for larger canals and rivers that would also cross the channel on the right day?

What's the technical name for such a boat?

Would like to tour the UK and France if possible.

Only need 2 berths and used to living in compact accommodation.

Thanks

There are lots of steel cruisers suitable for offshore use, that are compact enough for canals. Many of them either Dutch or Dutch inspired. The common problem with many sea going GRP cruisers is that designers do love flying bridges etc. giving them much too big an airdraft. I know of at least one British built, Dutch designed, 50 footer. Fitted with a single 6LX it would fit your requirements perfectly.

It won't be the only one around.

Happy hunting :cheers:

edited for to instead of too. Honest Gibbo I did preview...honest

Edited by John V

Lovely replica barges like that don't come cheap unfortunately - Sagar were a well respected builder of such boats and they do command a bit of a premium.

236129_1.jpg?1351092204

:wub:

Just bear in mind that there are barges and there are barges...

Any barge bought with the prospect of crossing the channel in should be built or upgraded to the Category C of the Recreational Craft Directive. Many Dutch-style barges are only actually built to Category D (sheltered inland waters).

Just bear in mind that there are barges and there are barges...

Any barge bought with the prospect of crossing the channel in should be built or upgraded to the Category C of the Recreational Craft Directive. Many Dutch-style barges are only actually built to Category D (sheltered inland waters).

Indeed - good point.

I'm pretty sure Sagar built to Cat C though.

I'm open to correction.

Sagar are Cat 'C'

Surely like any builder they built boats to the spec of the customer? It's not just the hull that determines the RCD Category but also things like windows, etc. If a customer doesn't want to pay for more expensive windows for example, then the builder won't install them and then the boat will be Cat D.

It's not just the particular builder a boat originated from that determines whether a boat is Cat A, B, C or D, it's also the specification the boat is built to.

Edited by blackrose

Surely like any builder they built boats to the spec of the customer? It's not just the hull that determines the RCD Category but also things like windows, etc. If a customer doesn't want to pay for more expensive windows for example, then the builder won't install them and then the boat will be Cat D.

My understanding of how Sagar built their boats was that they were specific and options and deviations were limited.

Search ebay, do LOTS of searches, "project boat" brings up many choices retired harbour launches, retired fishing boats truly all sorts of boats will be there. How much work do you consider reasonable before moving on board?

Truly seaworthy boats tend to have very small windows.

280998927278? on ebay

Edited by Arthur Brown

My understanding of how Sagar built their boats was that they were specific and options and deviations were limited.

I don't know about Sagar in particular, but I know other builders of Dutch-style barges will have optional spec and some may not meet RCD Cat C so if you're buying a second hand barge it's wise not to assume it's going to be Cat C.

Piper (my favourite) will build barges to Cat C or B.

http://www.piperboats.com/dutch_images.html

Edited by blackrose

Search ebay, do LOTS of searches, "project boat" brings up many choices retired harbour launches, retired fishing boats truly all sorts of boats will be there. How much work do you consider reasonable before moving on board?

Truly seaworthy boats tend to have very small windows.

Interesting point about the windows, did not want to do much work on it, probably pay a bit more instead but will have a look