Winding Hole, Macclesfield Canal, LOSS OF

blodger

Featured Posts

I have been told that the winding hole adjacent the "White Nancy" restaurent boat and the moorings at Bollington Wharf/Marina on the other side is to be lost to help one or both of the businesses.

Being atop the aqueduct it can be quite windy and hairy turning there anyway and the trip boat has always been an obstruction moored in the hole rather than on line where the owner(s) have their boats.

I had a look last night and sure enough scaffolding poles were being driven in to secure another pontoon.

I wonder when CaRT will remove the 'Winding Hole' sign on the post opposite and explain the loss of this amenity to boaters?

There are 13 new houses being built by the canal in Nantwich, where the visitor moorings are south of the aqueduct. Wait for the visitor mooring to disappear as it did further up when houses were built.

Seems now that visitor moorings are becoming a low priority for CaRT; maybe winding holes are going the same way.

I have been told that the winding hole adjacent the "White Nancy" restaurent boat and the moorings at Bollington Wharf/Marina on the other side is to be lost to help one or both of the businesses.

Being atop the aqueduct it can be quite windy and hairy turning there anyway and the trip boat has always been an obstruction moored in the hole rather than on line where the owner(s) have their boats.

I had a look last night and sure enough scaffolding poles were being driven in to secure another pontoon.

I wonder when CaRT will remove the 'Winding Hole' sign on the post opposite and explain the loss of this amenity to boaters?

This seems to be at odds with their recent policy of dredging winding holes as a 'safety issue'.

Tim

User Forum coming up on 6th November so I will be bringing the matter up. Mind you, how many years is it since the mooring rings opposite were illegally cut off to deter boaters and BW did diddly squat about that!

What a pity I have just blacked Badger or I would have felt the urge to turn her (several times) in the winding hole with plenty of clattering and banging.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

User Forum coming up on 6th November so I will be bringing the matter up. Mind you, how many years is it since the mooring rings opposite were illegally cut off to deter boaters and BW did diddly squat about that!

What a pity I have just blacked Badger or I would have felt the urge to turn her (several times) in the winding hole with plenty of clattering and banging.

I understand there is much annoyance being voiced at this turn of events. It will be helpful if it is heard at an appropriate venue :(

ANGRY BOATERS VOW TO FIGHT PONTOON PLAN: Macclesfield Express W26/10/12

A row has erupted between boat owners over plans to build a pontoon at Bollington Wharf.

Residents who keep their barges in the wharf near Adelphi Mill said a new pontoon will close up an important section of the canal which they use to turn their boats around.

They say the space is an official 'winding hole' - specifically designed for turning vessels - and will result in barges having to travel a further two miles up to Hurdsfield, or two miles down to Whitely Green in order to turn around.

Steve McGinnis, who keeps his boat at the wharf, said it is crazy.

There is not another winding hole for two miles - it may not sound very far but our boats only go at 4mph, it's an hour there and back just to turn sround.

Martin Killilea, who runs part of the boat yard, fears the loss of the space will afect his business.

He said: "I'll have to contemplate closing down if this goes ahead. People know thet can come to me to get their boat done but they won't if they know they will have to go an hour up the canal to turn around."

He said: "The boat owners are up in arms. A lot of people come up here on day boat trips but they will turn around before they get to us."

But the Canal and River Trust, which is responsible for the canal, denies the area is an official winding hole and says the new pontoon will help make the area more vibrant, with space for a new catered day boat hire run by the White Nancy Cruising Restaurant and a launching point for the Macclesfield and Bollington Sea Cadets. A spokesman for the Canal and River Trust said: "Our role is to manage the amenity of the canal, making sure it is as vibrant as possible for the benefit of the local community.

"The wharf is exactly that, a wharf."

Tracy Barlow who runs the White Nancy Cruising Restaurant has reassured boat owners they will still be able to turn their boats during the day while the cruising retaurabt and day boat are in use.

She said: "I really don't want to fall out abot this, they will still be able to turn around.

This is good news for our business, we are expanding. It's not a winding hole, if it is there would be five other boats which wouldn't be allowed there either."

Article ends.

It is signed as a winding hole and has been one for the past fifty years that I know of :banghead:

Is it signed as a BW(/cart) winding hole at the moment? If so, no contest. If not, was it in the past? If yes, no contest.

B)

Ohh yes,,, very much so. And dont forget to light your stove before you do...

Is it signed as a BW(/cart) winding hole at the moment? If so, no contest. If not, was it in the past? If yes, no contest.

B)

Ohh yes,,, very much so. And dont forget to light your stove before you do...

It has been signed up as a winding hole for years but you can bet your life that the next time I go past the signs will have gone with CART denying they ever existed.

It has been signed up as a winding hole for years but you can bet your life that the next time I go past the signs will have gone with CART denying they ever existed.

Someone local needs to get a camera out there smartish.

There are 13 new houses being built by the canal in Nantwich, where the visitor moorings are south of the aqueduct. Wait for the visitor mooring to disappear as it did further up when houses were built.

Seems now that visitor moorings are becoming a low priority for CaRT; maybe winding holes are going the same way.

We said that, when we passed by that development a couple of weeks ago, that the visitor moorings will go next. When people buy these new houses they should realise that the canal has been there for years, and to expect boats on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Any feedback from the meeting?

It's marked as a winding hole in the current edition of Nicholson's.

And I thought the only person who believed Nicholson's was my wife.

And I thought the only person who believed Nicholson's was my wife.:-)

And I thought the only person who believed Nicholson's was my wife.

When contractors (Canal & River) were dredging the lower Macc a few years ago I asked the guy operating the dredger if he was going to dredge the winding hole next to our mooring.

The answer was - BW have told us to dredge only those winding holes marked on Nicholson's.

Having had an experience that I and nine others had earlier this year on "The White Nancy", I can't imagine it's business is expanding. One of if not the worst night out that I and the rest of our crew have ever had.

Use a bit of argy bargy and wind with vigour.