Ship canal convoy !

DJ Lady Heidi

Featured Posts

Well - we did it today !!

Anderton Boat lift, River Weaver and then double a breast down the ship canal in convoy !!

I loved it !! Now moored at Chester for the night before heading round the Cheshire ring trying to get back to Manchester !

www.facebook.com/Heidi.Manning

Just looked at he pictures, looks like a great trip. Well done.

I'm still not convinced that being breasted up with another boat is a good thing, on balance. I know it means that if one engine fails or if one prop gets fouled you have a second one available, but the lack of manoeuvrability, the potential for getting rubbish between the boats, and the implications of the way the boats move when you encounter the wash from a bigger boat, don't leave me convinced.

Well - we did it today !!

Anderton Boat lift, River Weaver and then double a breast down the ship canal in convoy !!

I loved it !! Now moored at Chester for the night before heading round the Cheshire ring trying to get back to Manchester !

www.facebook.com/Heidi.Manning

Wow...GREAT PICS....What an adventure :)

Just looked at he pictures, looks like a great trip. Well done.

I'm still not convinced that being breasted up with another boat is a good thing, on balance. I know it means that if one engine fails or if one prop gets fouled you have a second one available, but the lack of manoeuvrability, the potential for getting rubbish between the boats, and the implications of the way the boats move when you encounter the wash from a bigger boat, don't leave me convinced.

I think the risks involved with breasting up on waters that might be somewhat choppy just don't bear thinking about Apart from a rope at bow and stern each boat can still move independently and might endanger it's partner. Having said that I wish I were there.

Great pictures, many thanks for publishing them.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I think the risks involved with breasting up on waters that might be somewhat choppy just don't bear thinking about Apart from a rope at bow and stern each boat can still move independently and might endanger it's partner. Having said that I wish I were there.

Great pictures, many thanks for publishing them.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I understand the request to double up comes from when a suicidal/stupid narrowboat owner went straight into the path of a ship. They think having two people choosing where to go will do a better job.

I don't understand why even though there is plenty of room, there are two pairs of boats side by side while passing a fully loaded dredger?

BTW, nice video of it in action here:

Cheers,

Mike

Wow!

We were one of the last "lucky" boats heading north on 25th September, and managed to sneak passed the activity at Croxton before they closed the canal at the Aqueduct, hours before the Dutton Breach.

Having seen the photos of your convoy, I now wish we hadn't been so lucky! What an amazing experience. The photos are fabulous!

Ah! Now I understand... I had thought the convoy was going the other way, to arrive directly in Manchester via Salford Quays... which certainly would have been an adventure, and almost worthy of faking the necessity to be in Manchester! But turning left out of Marsh Lock would still have been fun nonetheless. We did it years ago in both directions as a club cruise from NBCYC before the Anderton Lift had been restored. All the narrowboats had to be breasted up according to Peel Holdings rules, but we were in 23' of Wilderness Beaver powered by 10hp Honda outboard, so there was no-one to breast up with us. (We got our Certificate of Seaworthiness without any trouble!)