Tewkesbury to Bristol

IdealStandard

Featured Posts

Hello all

I have been planning a journey from Tewkesbury to Bristol in order to get my newly acquired boat home. I have stuck the info into canal plan and it gives me a route North to the GU, then down the Oxford canal to Reading and along the Kennet & Avon.

I don't want to take the Seven as I am new to boating and it would petrify me. Why, however can I not go via Gloucester-Stroud-Oxford? It looks shorter to my eyes. Are the canals not fully linked up in that bit of the world?

You can probably tell I'm rather new to this, any help much appreciated.

Tim

Why, however can I not go via Gloucester-Stroud-Oxford? It looks shorter to my eyes. Are the canals not fully linked up in that bit of the world?

the Stroudwater and the Thames & Severn are not yet restored and look a little like this...

1213894950_7338787956.jpg

Brimscombe - Thames & Severn Canal by imulford, on Flickr

There are sections that are navigable but they're not linked up to anything.

7334458142_450f6c355c.jpg

Ryeford Double Lock - Stroudwater Navigation by imulford, on Flickr

Take a look at www.cotswoldcanals.com for more info :)

Edited by IanM

What others have said! Note though, that if you go by the shortest available route, which is probably up the Warwickshire Avon to Stratford on Avon, Stratford Canal to Lapworth, G.U. to Napton, Oxford canal to the Thames, K&A from Reading to Bath then Bristol Avon, then

1. You will no longer be a novice, but a seasoned boater!

2. More seriously, the route involves several river passages,* none normally as challenging as the Severn Estuary but at this time of year liable to flooding or strong streams, so check conditions before planning trip and make sure boat is adequately equipped (at least that would include anchor, life jackets and extra lengths of line (ropes)) and fully serviced.

*Avon, Cherwell section of Southern Oxford, Thames, Kennet, Bristol Avon.

Hello all

I have been planning a journey from Tewkesbury to Bristol in order to get my newly acquired boat home. I have stuck the info into canal plan and it gives me a route North to the GU, then down the Oxford canal to Reading and along the Kennet & Avon.

I don't want to take the Seven as I am new to boating and it would petrify me. Why, however can I not go via Gloucester-Stroud-Oxford? It looks shorter to my eyes. Are the canals not fully linked up in that bit of the world?

Tim

If you are starting from Tewkesbury, the rivers are a must. Either downstream to Gloucester, upstream to Worcester (at least) or the Avon to Stratford.

If you set of bright and early and head for Worcester you'll be on canal that afternoon without needing to moor up between times, Diglis Lock on the river is worked for you, but you will need to use the lock landings on the river to get onto the canal. They are pontoons and a sensible height, you are also going upstream which makes them easier to use.

Going downstream involves Gloucester lock and then the Bristol Channel, if the first makes you weak at the knees, don't even contemplate the second

The Avon has seventeen river locks, most of which you must work yourself, and many of which have lock landings rather shorter than a typical narrowboat. I'd do it without hesitation, but if you describe yourself as petrified by rivers this may not be the option for you.

If we are lucky, an isolated bit of the Stroudwater Canal may be open in three years time, I'd add a nought to that before you can get through to the Thames that way.

Of course, if you ask nicely, some people on this site may be willing to assist in your journey...

Hello all

Tim

Had exactly this situation when I bought my boat 2 yrs ago. You have only 2 options (as there is no route from Glos to Stroud) - so either The Severn or a much longer GU/Oxford route with scores of locks. I chose the Severn route as I didn't have 2-3 weeks available for the other route.

There are challenges for both options especially this time of year.

The Severn will require a Pilot (at around £160) to take you from Sharpness to Portishead. Weather has to be reasonably calm to let you out of Sharpness lock, and the River Avon at Bristol is regularly closed to navigation after heavy rainfall. (Like now!).

The GU/K&A route is subject to a lot of stoppages from Oct onwards due to planned and emergency maintenance. You can get a list from the CART website for planned stoppages, but not for emergency ones of course. You will also benefit from a good strong crew for all the locks you will encounter, including 30+ at Caen Hill on the K&A.

Whichever you choose you will have a lot of fun - but you will have to be flexible. Forward planning is good, but it will almost certainly get hi-jacked at some points.

So either way you need to be prepared to be held up at times for either weather or stoppages.

I don't want to be a doom-monger, but the way things have been this year, river closures will be increasingly likely as even normal rainfall falls on saturated ground, and the journey you propose is very likely to be disrupted for long periods, meaning leaving the boat at perhaps unsuitable spots. You may not get it to Bristol until well into next year.

Of course you want to cruise your boat home, and that would be great, but if you want it back soon, you may have to consider putting it on a lorry - expensive, but you'd have it where you want it within a few hours.

Thanks for all the good advice. I am determined to cruise the boat home as I see the idea of putting a fully working boat on the back of the lorry rather silly when there's some good cruising and lots of learning to be done!

I have checked all the planned stoppages on my journey and none seem to affect my journey, unless this is one my journey, but I think I turn off before that section.

Thanks for all the good advice. I am determined to cruise the boat home as I see the idea of putting a fully working boat on the back of the lorry rather silly when there's some good cruising and lots of learning to be done!

I have checked all the planned stoppages on my journey and none seem to affect my journey, unless this is one my journey, but I think I turn off before that section.

Definitely not on any of your routes :)

(if you do get caught up in that you have definitely made a wrong turn) ;)

Howabout asking an experienced boater to accompany you on the stretch across the Severn? Even if you pay for board and lodging it would likely work out cheaper than going all the way round, which may potentially take months. And you will learn along the way.

I did almost this trip (Saul-Bath) when I first bought Phoebe, as someone mentioned upthread I left as a novice and arrived as a seasoned boater. It took me a little over 5 weeks in spring, although we dawdled a fair bit, a friend did the same trip in under 3 weeks during summer a couple of years ago. Enjoy it!

Right. All being well I will be setting off tomorrow. It may take some time, but it will be an experience. I'm not actually petrified by rivers, I relish the challenge and look forward to becoming competent.

My boat is a work in progress and I plan to be working on her full time until the new year, where I do it doesn't matter too much as long as I can get to a chandlery/B&Q on my bike.

I'm going to be Cc'ing when back in Bristol anyway, and the only difference between being stuck somewhere and being near Bristol is that when I am done working on the boat for the day, Bristol would offer me the luxury of a warm and sawdust free bed to sleep in occasionally.

I may well ask for more advice in this thread along the way, but thanks for all the good stuff so far.

Oh dear, you mentioned Ccing and Bath in the same sentence. Stand by for a torrent ( or trickle, depending on how engrossed others arenin other posts) of dissaproving comments.

And an early welcome to the beautifull Western K&A. :cheers:

Do say hello, when you get here. If you do, it's increasingly likely that your journey may be interupted by stoppages, and appeals... :rolleyes:

Oh dear, you mentioned Ccing and Bath in the same sentence. Stand by for a torrent ( or trickle, depending on how engrossed others arenin other posts) of dissaproving comments.

And an early welcome to the beautifull Western K&A. :cheers:

Do say hello, when you get here. If you do, it's increasingly likely that your journey may be interupted by stoppages, and appeals... :rolleyes:

I'm only sticking around that part of the country until the boat is fully finished. If it was simple to get a mooring in the Bristol docks I would be straight in there, for now I am on the never ending waiting list and am looking at other options.

I want to CC and am allowed to do so if I stick to the rules, which I intend to do.

Many thanks for your welcome, I would love to make a new friend when I do arrive (eventually), where are you based? The Western K&A is one of the most beautiful places in the world IMO.

Edited by IdealStandard

• 1 month later...

So. After a few hiccups including changing a head gasket on the towpath, narrowly making it past the Hungerford stoppages on the K&A and having to 24volt the starter for the last five days of cruising, I am now home.

I have also have 10 days holiday and was stuck in Oxford for 10 days waiting for the Thames (we still went down on red boards!) so haven't just been going slowly.

Had a blast cruising, learnt allot about boating and am now about to crack on with renovating the boat. Made some great friends along the way and experienced some fantastic bits of the country I have never been to before as well.

So. After a few hiccups including changing a head gasket on the towpath, narrowly making it past the Hungerford stoppages on the K&A and having to 24volt the starter for the last five days of cruising, I am now home.

I have also have 10 days holiday and was stuck in Oxford for 10 days waiting for the Thames (we still went down on red boards!) so haven't just been going slowly.

Had a blast cruising, learnt allot about boating and am now about to crack on with renovating the boat. Made some great friends along the way and experienced some fantastic bits of the country I have never been to before as well.

Brilliant!

We need photos :cheers:

Oh dear you're hooked!

Welcome!

Nick

• 7 years later...

Hi everyone,

I'm just resurrecting this thread as my partner and I are considering very much the same thing as this... picking up a boat on the Gloucester and Sharpness, possibly spending the coming winter there while we learn a bit about how to boat, and then cruising the long way round to the K and A in spring.

Seems like this worked out well for the OP but as it was 8 yrs ago maybe there is new info we should factor in?

Thanks for any updates,
H.