Traditional coal box

MtB

Featured Posts

I've decided Reginald needs a coal box. This set of steps that hooks under the steering position is a confounded nuisance when dealing with the stove.

I've seen proper coal boxes in boats but never paid too much attention the the design. A brief google shows up very little. Does anyone have any photos please? And better, some dimensions, so I can make one?

Or better still, know of one for sale or where one can buy them?

Many thanks,

Mike

I've decided Reginald needs a coal box. This set of steps that hooks under the steering position is a confounded nuisance when dealing with the stove.

I've seen proper coal boxes in boats but never paid too much attention the the design. A brief google shows up very little. Does anyone have any photos please? And better, some dimensions, so I can make one?

Or better still, know of one for sale or where one can buy them?

Many thanks,

Mike

We've got one in Badsey (Large Woolwich). Will photo it when it stops raining.

Ours on Sickle looks much like some of the others here, although it is more decorated (not a very clear photo, but see HERE). We were told by someone (possibly Paul H?, sorry, I don't remember, and Alan is out SVRing), that it shouldn't have a straight back end, but it should be shaped to go into the swim at the back. I suppose that would stop it moving, and give you more coal storage space, but I actually use that space behind the coal box to put the coolbag that serves as a 'fridge' when we are on Sickle - as it stays fairly cool there.

Cath

Ours is similar to those in the photos, but tapers at the rear to fit in the swim, as already mentioned. It was made by Chateau Neuf's builder, Les Wilson. He uses a trad design for all his boats that he fits out, like CN. As he's the son of a working boatman he sticks closely to tradition wherever he can.

The only issue with such a box is that it needs to be kept pretty full or it can move or tip when stepped on, a common ocurrence given its second purpose in life!

Ours on Sickle looks much like some of the others here, although it is more decorated (not a very clear photo, but see HERE). We were told by someone (possibly Paul H?, sorry, I don't remember, and Alan is out SVRing), that it shouldn't have a straight back end, but it should be shaped to go into the swim at the back. I suppose that would stop it moving, and give you more coal storage space, but I actually use that space behind the coal box to put the coolbag that serves as a 'fridge' when we are on Sickle - as it stays fairly cool there.

Cath

[Cath and I do talk to each other, (honest), but often one or other of us spots that the other has posted something, but they are not about to discuss it with them.]

I think it is fair to say that "Paul H" referred to here considered Sickle's coal box to not really be the full ticket, (to the point he recommended where we might get a replacement IIRC!....)

Actually, other than I don't much like the way it has been painted, I don't mind it.

The one thing to bear in mind, if you rely just on this for a big step down, (and in Sickle it is a long way!), is that if not kept well loaded with coal, they can tip up, if you land your foot too close to the leading edge.

What you build needs to be moderately substantial, and kept weighted, so it can't tip up. The down-side to that is that if, (like us) you need to move it daily to service the stern gland, than if it is too heavy, that becomes a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for your replies everyone, very helpful and educational. Pete23 has offered to make one for me so I'll take him up on that!

One point, my initial thought was that the lower section of the coal box would have a cover so it could act as a second step, and the coal box would go in the boat with the lower step outwards (facing the bow of the boat) so the coal in the box was easily accessible for filling the stove. I imagine this doesn't work or they'd all be done that way. Has anybody tried it?

Mike