Oldbury steering and coal company

GUMPY

Featured Posts

I have found out that OSaCC was formed in 1935 and disolved in 1982

Doesanyone know any more?

I realise that there were hundreds of small companies around then but its worth asking

I have an "old" registered office sign for the company and am curious as to any details

Edited by idleness

I realise that there were hundreds of small companies around then but its worth asking

I have an "old" registered office sign for the company and am curious as to any details

There were no boats B.C.N. gauged under this company name or anything similar :captain:

What are the details of the company, address etc, never heard of the name. There are plenty of well known carriers associated with Oldbury also yards too.

When the gas line under the towpaths contract was being carried out in the 60`s the company doing the work rented/leased about 15 or so joey`s, of which 4/5 had cabins, on one I remember OS&CC ltd in very faded paint on the cabin side Afraid I can not come up with any further info

Edited by AlanW

I have a good knowledge of the area and many maps covering it going back to the mid 1950's, none show or name a coal wharf there. But it is possible that this company had no boats of its own, it was not uncommon to to have firms operating boats, with their names on but they were leased from another concern. One probably near final example of this was the Weldless Tube at Wednesfield who leased boats of L Leigh's, I have a picture of "Herbert" with both Weldless and LLL on the side. The massive fleets of Yates Brothers and Ernie Thomas were also involved in this type of operation. Its the same as lorries are leased today. So it is possible that this company was operating boats without being "attached" to official gaugings.

The other possibilty is that this was connected with BIP, whose works had wharves at Tat bank road, they arrived about 1935 and are still going.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I dont know if they owned boats or not or even what their trade was. It might not have been coal as a primary business I just dont know

Am just looking for info as I have the reg office plate and my "new" 1993 narrowboat was origionally sign written with the company name.

Edited by idleness

I dont know if they owned boats or not or even what their trade was. It might not have been coal as a primary business I just dont know

Am just looking for info as I have the reg office plate and my "new" 1993 narrowboat was origionally sign written with the company name.

Pete Harrison has confirmed that no boats were registered to them. "Oldbury Steering & Coal" suggest multiple commodities, steering howver may also indicate road haulage. I would suggest a call to BIP who will have some info on the site might pay you dividends. Otherwise old trade directories are another source, that all takes time and effort but can pay off.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

A few weeks ago there was a rather sexy looking tug tied up in Castlefield basin in Manchester, called Helen and inscribed on her side was "Oldbury [something or other] and Steering Company".

I know it doesn't add anything but I wish I had a photo of the boat to show you as it was rather nice.

Edited by John Holden

A few weeks ago there was a rather sexy looking tug tied up in Castlefield basin in Manchester, called Helen and inscribed on her side was "Oldbury [something or other] and Steering Company".

I know it doesn't add anything but I wish I had a photo of the boat to show you as it was rather nice.

Helen was owned by several companies in her time including Leonard Leigh and Holliday? of Oldbury, whose name she bears at the present time.

George ex nb Alton retired

Helen was owned by several companies in her time including Leonard Leigh and Holliday? of Oldbury, whose name she bears at the present time.

Must be different Helen then! The Helen I saw was definitely old, not a repro or anything but certainly looked like the Helen in Leigh and Holiday colours on Historic Boats but carrying the Oldbury and C name.

The paint job did look very fresh though.

Edited by John Holden

Must be different Helen then! The Helen I saw was definitely old, not a repro or anything but certainly looked like the Helen in Leigh and Holiday colours on Historic Boats but carrying the Oldbury and C name.

The paint job did look very fresh though.

I think we are talking about the same Helen which is an original tug. It belongs to the previous owner of Sandbach and he has brought her up north for this summer. I saw her on the Macc a few weeks ago looking very nice in her new colours. I cannot just remember the full name, John Holliday is ringing a bell and Oldbury and Steerage Contractor, or similar, figures in the signwriting.

I think we are talking about the same Helen which is an original tug. It belongs to the previous owner of Sandbach and he has brought her up north for this summer. I saw her on the Macc a few weeks ago looking very nice in her new colours. I cannot just remember the full name, John Holliday is ringing a bell and Oldbury and Steerage Contractor, or similar, figures in the signwriting.

Joseph Holloway Ltd., Oldbury :captain:

I was just struck by how fine she looked, quite the nicest looking boat I've seen in a long time.