Winter doldrums

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

I've gotta say the only downside for me is when we go away to visit rellies during the winter. Trudging down the towpath with rucksacks and bags and arriving at a freezing boat isn't much fun.

BUT we always make sure we leave the stove all ready to be fired up, then I snuggle under a duvet and wait until I can't see the breath in front of my face! Seriously, it doesn't take that long to warm such a small space :)

I've gotta say the only downside for me is when we go away to visit rellies during the winter. Trudging down the towpath with rucksacks and bags and arriving at a freezing boat isn't much fun.

BUT we always make sure we leave the stove all ready to be fired up, then I snuggle under a duvet and wait until I can't see the breath in front of my face! Seriously, it doesn't take that long to warm such a small space :)

We light the fire and retire a safe distance to the pub.....works well :cheers:

Helps mooring at Fradley

http://nevsblogaroony.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/friday-pub-night.html

Nev

I love the winter hunting season - for the magic wood piles.

[This winter I'm going to be preying mainly on a set of ex-sidings on which Network Rail kindly chopped and stacked a load of silver birch last autumn].

I think we love the winter even more than the summer!

Although we don't live aboard, I think we missed no more than a couple weekends during the past two 'heavy' winters, and only because it was unavoidable like a family wedding or such like.

And yes, we worry whether the boat is OK (which is probably another reason we go every weekend!), and yes, we've had the usual mishaps related to burst pipes (forgot to properly drain the system). But once we've got that fire going, and the kettle's on......bliss!

I was dreading firing up the Morso again. Simply because we've got used to using it as another surface and stacking stuff around it - when space is at a premium that's important.

Now I'm sat in front of the stove, with it ticking over at just the right temperature with the incredible feeling of achievement that we've learnt to tame this beastie that we fought with during our first couple of winters.

Loving it!

Its really not that bad, and probably better than this summer!

I know this sounds a bit rude, but without loads of hirers, and especially without some of the "high speed hobby boaters", the canals do take on a very peaceful quality where a significant proportion of boaters know each other.

It can be very beautiful, especially the misty mornings, and even better if it snows.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast to get frozen in at a pleasant spot, neither too far from, or too close to, a water tap, and with a full water tank and an empty poo tank it all works fine (though 7 and a half weeks the year before last was a bugger).

The only real downsides are the mud, especially with the dog, and struggling to keep the batteries charged.

The very short days are not too good, but then that applies if you live in a house too.

We prefer to keep moving, though much much less than in the summer, I think a winter mooring could be a bit tedious, too much like living in a house!

A few companies will hire boats in the winter...give it a try!

............Dave

I think that sums it up quite nicely!A have a wotsit.

I know this sounds a bit rude, but without loads of hirers, and especially without some of the "high speed hobby boaters", the canals do take on a very peaceful quality where a significant proportion of boaters know each other.

It can be very beautiful, especially the misty mornings, and even better if it snows.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast to get frozen in at a pleasant spot, neither too far from, or too close to, a water tap, and with a full water tank and an empty poo tank it all works fine (though 7 and a half weeks the year before last was a bugger).

The only real downsides are the mud, especially with the dog, and struggling to keep the batteries charged.

The very short days are not too good, but then that applies if you live in a house too.

We prefer to keep moving, though much much less than in the summer, I think a winter mooring could be a bit tedious, too much like living in a house!

............Dave

............Dave

............Dave

............Dave

I think that sums it up quite nicely!A have a wotsit.P.S. something is wrong,I managed to post 3 times,sorry.

Edited by bowten

I think that sums it up quite nicely!A have a wotsit.P.S. something is wrong,I managed to post 3 times,sorry.

Thank you for saying such nice things about my contribution.

...............Dave