getting onto roof

janetah

Featured Posts

I want something on the stern (cruiser) deck to help me get onto the roof. I don't really know where to start looking - have you any suggestions? I'm not as agile as I was and it's got to be OK going up and down. There's a coolant tank 4" deep attached onto the back cabin wall which is slightly in the way. but there's about 12" to the side of that which is clear.

Well the standard way of having something to get a foot up on are these.....

cabin Step Linky

They fold flat against the cabin side if not being used, but shap down to make a useful footrhold when climding up.

If fitted to metal cabins, then generally you would drill holes, and tap them for suitable bolts to go in.

If you've got the space and you want it safe and secure a small set of steps would be best. I shared a few locks with a boat this year with a cruiser stern where I noticed they actually had a set of steps both sides of the cabin door up onto the roof. Can't remember precisely, but I would have thought there were 3 or 4 steps.

Best way to implement is probably to buy a small step ladder and modify to suit.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I should have said, there is a brass folding step already on the cabin side and it's OK but not really big enough or in the right place for total comfort/confidence. It's also not so good coming down. I like the idea of a couple of stacked lockers which would be firmly attached to the cabin - sounds a bit expensive but I'll look into it. Also, the ladder idea..

Thanks for all the suggestions! I should have said, there is a brass folding step already on the cabin side and it's OK but not really big enough or in the right place for total comfort/confidence. It's also not so good coming down. I like the idea of a couple of stacked lockers which would be firmly attached to the cabin - sounds a bit expensive but I'll look into it. Also, the ladder idea..

We have a cut down aluminium ladder, (5 steps) and have screwed four rubber door stops near the top of each side of the (top of) the ladder so it grips the cabin side.

Works well

I've been keeping my eye out for a folding stool like my mum had in the seventies for that exact same use. It was one that had a lower step that folded inside the legs of the stool. I repeatedly used to play on it and get my ankles snarled up painfully in the step! :D but it would be ideal on the boat.

In the meantime I use. 25kg bag of coal on its end, having stamped the top down into a nice U shape. It's just the right height for getting on the roof and it's heavy enough not to move or slip about.

I've been keeping my eye out for a folding stool like my mum had in the seventies for that exact same use. It was one that had a lower step that folded inside the legs of the stool. I repeatedly used to play on it and get my ankles snarled up painfully in the step! :D but it would be ideal on the boat.

In the meantime I use. 25kg bag of coal on its end, having stamped the top down into a nice U shape. It's just the right height for getting on the roof and it's heavy enough not to move or slip about.

We've got one of those steps in the warehouse, used it today believe it or not to fix a cctv camera as it was lying around. This one is Chrome with 2 small steps that fold underneath the seat. Also a handy wee stool to sit on. It's been lying around for ages, probably something left and unwanted by an x storage customer. You're welcome to it if you want to collect or pay postage, It's likely to be thrown out anyway as it rerally isn't for use in a warehouse, and I was probably breaking some silly health and safety rule using it today laugh.gif

• 3 weeks later...