Sawley bicycle thefts

petalponk

Featured Posts

Just a little warning for others who moor at Sawley Marina.

On saturday morning my bicycle was stolen from the south bank, it was locked up, chained to a sign.

Another guy also had his bicycle stolen on the same day, also chained up.

The hole in the fence/hedge seems to have been fixed, but really it is the work of seconds for people to get through there.

So be careful.

On saturday morning my bicycle was stolen from the south bank, it was locked up, chained to a sign.

The hole in the fence/hedge seems to have been fixed, but really it is the work of seconds for people to get through there.

So be careful.

is this it.....

camouflage-balance-bike-kids-army-bike_3437_300.jpg

now......

I just keep seeing boaters using pound shop locks, please put your hand in your pocket for a hardened chain £25 now will save a lot of drama later.

A. no cable lock is bolt cutter proof, forget it.

B. A D lock is good but can be busted by a scaffold pole or similar lever

C. hardened 10mm chain with a shutter lock cannot be easily cropped, it's the best option for on the boat

So the CCTV and the locked gates are working well then at Sawley?

You'd think that the number of boats moored there someone would've seen something but again the theives have got the guts to steal from right under the boat owners noses to feed there drug habit pay for there licence every year :unsure:

And :lol: at Matty

So be careful.

Hi

As a fellow moorer in the same Gulag have you ever considered that it may well be one of the hundreds of moorers INSIDE the fortress that commits the crimes ? I am not convinced that all boat owners are totaly honest. We have travellers outside at the moment so now have to suffer the bloody gates locked all day and flippin night which pees me well off. I too am a Gypsy, a water gypsy and from what I have seen the travellers outside seem clean and polite. Of course I am not suggesting at all that you mean the travellers are responsible for the thefts but if I were you I would look to fellow inmates as well as outside the Gulag :cheers:

Tim

So the CCTV and the locked gates are working well then at Sawley?

Too bloody true........we are just lockin the rogues in !!!

Tim

OP - - I too had my (bloody expensive!) bicycle stolen from Sawley a few months back. - It was locked with an huge motorbike lock & chain

De Management didn't give a "flying fox"

I strongly suspect it's nowt to do with holes in the fence - - but there's a (permanently moored' ) blue widebeam on the visitors moorings that always appears to have a different collection of bikes on board

May just be a coincidence of course

When I moored in Chester basin the trick was to chain it to the roof rail on the water side of the boat. An oik would have to climb onto the roof or edge round the gunnels to get to the chain to cut it. That would disturb anyone on board and draw attention to themselves from others. Someone at Chester basin tried nicking the bike off our roof from the towpath coz he couldn't see the chain and padlock from there. By time he had lifted the bike enough to realise it was securely attached to the roof, he had woken us up, bedroom light was on, and he scarpered.

When I moored in Chester basin the trick was to chain it to the roof rail on the water side of the boat. An oik would have to climb onto the roof or edge round the gunnels to get to the chain to cut it. That would disturb anyone on board and draw attention to themselves from others. Someone at Chester basin tried nicking the bike off our roof from the towpath coz he couldn't see the chain and padlock from there. By time he had lifted the bike enough to realise it was securely attached to the roof, he had woken us up, bedroom light was on, and he scarpered.

Quite often when I was down Lunnon way, the best way I saw was to hang the bike on the waterside of the boat, chained as well. This reduced the visibility of the bike and impulse crime,and would take a brave soul to try to nick it with someone on board.

However, easily filched by a Cannibulflaghe boat passing , probably, allegedly, maybe...