JP oil grade

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

I have a JP2 in my narrow boat, and it's coming up to end of season oil change time. I've always used sae 30 grade oil, but, while checking oil prices, I came across some sae 40 grade oil which is designed for "summer use and will help quieten engines" or words to that effect. My engine is always very quiet on start up, but as it warms up, gets a bit noisier. I was wondering if I would be likely to encounter problems if I filled with 40 weight oil this time. Would it possibly harm the engine in any way?

The engine was rebuilt by me 20 years ago, with new bearings, etc. and has not had a great deal of use since then, so should be in good condition internally. I would anticipate it being more difficult to turn over when cold, but I don't use the boat in the winter(I'm embarrassed to admit) so that would not be a problem.

Any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated. Jack

I'm not terribly conversant with JP engines but engines are engines. Personally i would keep to the 30 grade. I think 40 grade in most engines would be too heavy in the winter, much more resistance when starting from cold an added strain on the starter motor and battery and more strain on you if your hand starting it.

Also certain things inside engines are ''splash'' lubricated'' so too thick an oil may not reach these parts especially when cold.

I have a JP2 in my narrow boat, and it's coming up to end of season oil change time. I've always used sae 30 grade oil, but, while checking oil prices, I came across some sae 40 grade oil which is designed for "summer use and will help quieten engines" or words to that effect. My engine is always very quiet on start up, but as it warms up, gets a bit noisier. I was wondering if I would be likely to encounter problems if I filled with 40 weight oil this time. Would it possibly harm the engine in any way?

The engine was rebuilt by me 20 years ago, with new bearings, etc. and has not had a great deal of use since then, so should be in good condition internally. I would anticipate it being more difficult to turn over when cold, but I don't use the boat in the winter(I'm embarrassed to admit) so that would not be a problem.

Any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated. Jack

SAE 20 is the recommended grade for temperate climates, but most people use 30, largely because it's easier to get hold of or to compensate for a bit of wear. I don't think going to 40s would be a great idea.

Tim

Stick to the SAE30 oil. Should be SAE20 for temperate climates but most people use the 30 grade. If you order it from Morris Lubricants online it is the same price. JPs do get a little noisier when hot. What oil pressure is there on idle when warm?

It runs at 20 lbs, idles about 12-15lbs from what I recall. Don't normally notice on idle, I'm usually working the locks!

I use SAE20 in mine. Get about 15 psi on hot idle. If you order direct from Morris its the same price for 20 or 30. There is a discount code in this months Towpath Talk. Don't really see a reason for using 30 in mine unless anyone has a good reason.

Cheers

Gareth

No good reason to change as your using the actual correct grade for the temperatures in the UK, 30 is only really for use when climate generally above 30 deg C. but 30 tends to be the easier found for those who cant be A"£sed to look. Either is perfectly fine and will not cause problems over than if really cold 30 may make it hard going to hand start a JP but thats about it. We use 30 as it means we only have to stock one oil to go in most of the engines we restore.

I use SAE20 in mine. Get about 15 psi on hot idle. If you order direct from Morris its the same price for 20 or 30. There is a discount code in this months Towpath Talk. Don't really see a reason for using 30 in mine unless anyone has a good reason.

Cheers

Gareth