Sharing a dongle MIFI wireless router

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Lynns' come across a MIFI dongle wireless router, a perfect solution as we both have a laptop each. This turns your 3 dongle into your own personal WIFI hot spot. It also means that placing your dongle to achieve a good signal would be a lot easier with this unit. in our case porthole windows without USB lead trailing across the boat laugh.gif

https://www.gobabymobile.com/products/internet/3g-mi-fi-dongle-dock.html

From gobaby.com

Anyone using these, feedback appreciated.

Lynns' come across a MIFI dongle wireless router, a perfect solution as we both have a laptop each. This turns your 3 dongle into your own personal WIFI hot spot. It also means that placing your dongle to achieve a good signal would be a lot easier with this unit. in our case porthole windows without USB lead trailing across the boat laugh.gif

From gobaby.com

We've got a MiFi router from 3. All I did was swap the SIM card. There was a dramatic improvement in speed (up to 4 mb but usually around 1.5 to 2). Doesn't seem to slow down when two of us are using it.

From gobaby.com

We have a 3 MiFi. They are very good, only issue is that you have to remember to charge it or have it plugged in to a charger. However we have stopped using it now I have iPhone on "the one plan" which allows the iPhone to be used as a WiI router with unlimited inclusive data. MiFi is better (faster) but you have to pay for data!

We have a 3 MiFi. They are very good, only issue is that you have to remember to charge it or have it plugged in to a charger. However we have stopped using it now I have iPhone on "the one plan" which allows the iPhone to be used as a WiI router with unlimited inclusive data. MiFi is better (faster) but you have to pay for data!

PAYG sims are available on eBay, about £4 per gb.

Thanks people

We've gone for the go baby, we already have a 3 dongle with 5 gig per month which plugs into the go baby.

I shouldn't have rushed to buy though as koukouvagia's sim option seems a bit more logical, and gaining some some speed a big + this go baby will do us for now though, can always sell on if there's something better wink.gif

Can you top them up for £4 for another gb, or do you have to get a new one for each gb?

They are either 3gb or 1 gb and last 3 months, 1gb is about £7 and 3gb about £12. You can top them up but it's cheaper to buy another sim. Or you can get 12gb for £60ish, lasts 12 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you find the MiFi was considerably faster than using a phone? Still deciding which route® to go down with this.

Thanks

David

https://www.gobabymo...ongle-dock.html

From gobaby.com

They are rubbish had one and sent it back. Have now got a TP-LINK TL-MR3020, much better and cheaper too. BTW, don't confuse a router that allows the use of the 3G dongle via USB, with a MIFI device. The MIFI is a specific device that is essentially the router and dongle in one.

We have a T mobile Pointer, and a more midern Three mifi router. Also a mobile phone with unlimited data and tethering. Comparing the 3 pieces of apparatus, the slowest is the older T mobile pointer, then usually the Three Mifi abd fastest is using bluetooth tethering on a T mobile Full monty tariff on a Samsung Galaxy S2. But a lot depends on where you are amnd relative signal strengths and network loadings

ZTE MF60 router has external aerial socket, latest is MF80 capablevof 47mbps! £125 from Amazon.

Would this take a 3 MiFi sim or a phone sim?

EDIT: I suppose it will take either but still doesn't help decide if the dedicated MifI 15Gb option is better than the One Plan phone option regarding transfer speed and traffic shaping.

Thanks

David

Edited by Psycloud

My 3 mifi rocks. I stream I player no probs - 3 devices connected.

Very pleased

Have to agree having just been switched off from our virgin media we now have 3 MIFI 2 laptops and 2 phones connected to it........... surprisingly connection speed is far better than virgin super hub. 15gb per month for £18.99. will see how it goes as this will be our first full month connection.

My 3 mifi rocks. I stream I player no probs - 3 devices connected.

Very pleased

Second that.

Ours wirelessly feeds two laptops and sometimes a desktop at the same time all without effort.

iplayer download speeds of 8MB are not uncommon.

Sits perfectly in a suction-cup mobile phone holder and can be quickly and easily positioned in whichever window gives the best reception.

Doesn’t matter where on our 66ft boat you put it or where we call on it.

Away from the boat we get online anywhere, anytime and it stays charged from the laptop when connected using a usb cable.

Would like more than 15gb per month to watch ‘BBC breakfast’ in the morning but we survive!

Joshua

Did you find the MiFi was considerably faster than using a phone? Still deciding which route® to go down with this.

Thanks

David

I don't think there is much difference between the MiFi and my iPhone 4 in terms of speed, however the iPhone is a bit faffy in that it has to be "awake" to initiate a connection - ie if you shut down the laptop, you have to wake the phone and have the "personal hotspot" page showing to get the connection back. Also it drains the iPhone battery pretty fast. However the feeling of having all you can eat data from the iPhone 3 package is good!

Both are faster than the old USB Dongle we had.