Cannot decide next location

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

While i have committed to a week on the L & L , i have yet to decide where best to choose for a second week. Its likely that we shall be a 2 man crew, so that is naturally relevant re busy days negotiating locks . Dont want to give the impression that a lock free week is in our thoughts, after all thats part of the fun. But in all honesty Tardebigge is probably not in the picture. We are reasonably fit 60 year olds . Given we are doing the L & L , which other canal may offer a different experience, but also be a scenic one with lots of quintessentially English villages / pubs to enjoy. Llangollen is probably too crowded for us, were it not, i would consider it ideal. Decisions/decisions .

Oxford Canal. No contest (in my opinion, but I moor there so I am biased). Good hire fleet "Oxfordshire Narrowboats" at one end, equally good hire fleet "Napton Narrowboats" at the other. Other hire fleets are available: Kate Boats, Union Canal Carriers and, if you're desperate, Calcutt.

Mostly pastoral, scenic, winding, couple of big towns along the way (Banbury, Rugby), moderate number of locks - this is a Brindley canal (which means that the engineer James Brindley tried to follow the contour lines so as to avoid building too many locks). The locks are narrow (i.e. single boat width). Remarkably for our crowded little island, there's a stretch of about six miles where no roads cross the canal, so much of it is quiet.

Pubs, yes, fair supply reasonably spaced out, pretty villages ditto (notably Cropredy).

Edited by Athy

If you want "Llangollen like", then I would second Oxford. Another alternative is the South Stratford, although that would be only part of the trip (assuming a week).

If you actaully want to do Llangollen though, don't be too put off by the "it's busy" reports, it is not bad at all as we found in August during the school holidays. At other times I can't see it really being that busy at all. The key is to time the trip to Llangollen to be there Sunday/Monday nights, as most arrive on Tuesday/Wednesday. The Montgomery is very nice too, and that certainly is not busy! There were certainly smart hirers there when we were, for example starting for Chirk on the Saturday and heading to Llangollen first, and then going back the other way to the Montgomery. We played leapfrog with a Black Prince boat most of the week doing that.

The Oxford is lovely - but keep away it's my waters (haha).

We're fussy about where we moor overnight and the M40 and trains are noisy in many locations. Additionally the only places where you can be certain to get ashore are where there is Armc bank protection.

Many of the best locations are already taken by continuous moorers; one shoudn't complain is the boats are occupied, but so many are clearly just left from week to week.

If you've never visited B'rum (and who would want to by road or train), then consider a ring that takes in the place - quite, quite different by water and several side attractions.

Hire from Alvechurch at one end (only Knowle heavy locks to endure) or Napton's fleets, but that includes lots of heavy broad locks where three in crew would be more comfortable.

Thanks for the suggestions, however i omitted to add the Oxford was our first choice on our previous trip. We travelled from Hawksbury to Cropredy. It is, as all have suggested a lovely canal, but naturally we wish to have a different perspective this time. As the L & L is a broad canal , we will likely choose a narrow for our second week. Have given thought to The Shropshire , perhaps it will fit the bill?

Thanks for the suggestions, however i omitted to add the Oxford was our first choice on our previous trip. We travelled from Hawksbury to Cropredy. It is, as all have suggested a lovely canal, but naturally we wish to have a different perspective this time. As the L & L is a broad canal , we will likely choose a narrow for our second week. Have given thought to The Shropshire , perhaps it will fit the bill?

The shroppie on its own is a bit boring. Part of a ring such as the four counties makes more sense, but the 4C in a week is not leisurely cruising.

NOW he tells us!

Staffs & Worcs?

NOW he tells us!

Staffs & Worcs?

Oh yes! - Staffs and Worcs is great. Particularly the stretch between Tixall wide and Penkridge. I think that is the most gorgeous day's boating I have ever had

Agree the Staffs & Worcs is great. Also that Central Birmingham is well worth a visit, it's very boat friendly. Don't be put off the Llangollen too easily - we went up there and did the Montgomery in July. It was busier than some of the canals we'd been on but I wouldn't call it hellishly busy - it certainly didn't spoil our trip.

We plan to hire from Barnoldswick, travelling East. How far only time will tell , but hope to reach Bingly 5 rise.

Well you will see some of the most beautiful scenery of the Leeds/Liverpool from there and pass some of the best pubs! Five Rise will be a push there and back in a week but it's possible if you put in some long days!

Not done the Mon and Brec myself but have heard great reports! I love the Leeds/Liverpool so if you want any help or info let me know.

Well you will see some of the most beautiful scenery of the Leeds/Liverpool from there and pass some of the best pubs! Five Rise will be a push there and back in a week but it's possible if you put in some long days!

Not done the Mon and Brec myself but have heard great reports! I love the Leeds/Liverpool so if you want any help or info let me know.

Depends what time of year you go but generally the 5 Rise and back is a breeze from Barlick.

First day to East Marton, second day to Skipton, third day Bingley - time to pootle down to Saltaire if you fancy but equally, turn around, come back past Barnoldswick and have a look at Foulridge Tunnel.

But to answer your original question, my vote would be for the Shroppie - hire from Chas Hardern and go down to Brewood and back. Fabulous.

Edited by RichardH

The Shroppie is lovely and there are lovely secure moorings at Brewood with a good pub within falling down distance...! We've done it several times and absolutely love it. Great at this time of year with all the blackberries in the hedgerows!

For me, I'd just stick with two weeks on the Leeds and Liverpool whilst you have the chance rather than having to pack up and swap to another boat/location. There's a lot to see and it's full of contrasts

If not, then I'd certainly recommend a trip through Birmingham...it's simply fabulous!

Janet

Edited by Janet S