IWA Calls For Action On 'Continuous Moorers'

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

No they didn't.

The boat remains the property of the owner and CRT have no right to impound, destroy or sell it unless they cannot locate the owner or the owner relinquishes ownership to them.

yes they did.

we were offered a ex broads cruiser for £800 18 years ago but they did have a owner for it at the time who agreed for its sale to cover the costs, but it was sold through BW.

I was at Braunston just before the Working boats festival.

The checker came down the line, took my boat number and then turned back - there was one more boat in front of me before the bridge and another one just past the bridge hole.

He had a bike and could have cycled on, taking the numbers of all the boats up to Willoughby, he didn't.

yes they did.

we were offered a ex broads cruiser for £800 18 years ago but they did have a owner for it at the time who agreed for its sale to cover the costs, but it was sold through BW.

If you read my post again slowly you will see that no, they didn't, unless the owner has agreed.

No they didn't.

The boat remains the property of the owner and CRT have no right to impound, destroy or sell it unless they cannot locate the owner or the owner relinquishes ownership to them.

I was at Braunston just before the Working boats festival...

I was once told by a patrol officer (now retired) "If it isn't visible from a road bridge then it isn't on my patch." but I thought times had changed...

Evidently not.

I just watched the boat checker go down through rickmansworth, he only monitored every second boat. That stinks! How on earth can CRT have a true picture of what's going on?

par for the course around here, a couple of weeks back i was moored amongst other boats and the only number taken was mine, i had been there a week the others were there when i got there, i reckon the patrol guys get to know their patch and the boat that are regular and they take short cuts.

looking at the posted CM dispute timeline, it appears to me that its best to ignore CaRT's correspondence until the last knockings as it will gain you many more weeks grace, then just move a bit and it all starts again!

• 6 months later...

Firstly, people who DO CM, are not necessarily on benefits, I know there are many who work and earn just enough to live on, but do not wish to get into the benefit system...and I imagine many would applaud that. However, it does mean they often can't ALSO afford a mooring, but are trapped needing work and therefore one area of cruising. Why bother moving? Because many do actually enjoy moving and that is part of the reason they are on a boat...they may not be able to move a long distance for whatever reason keeps them to one area, but may still enjoy a cruise and change every week or two.

I actually DO have a permanent mooring, but am effectively CM'ing at the moment, because although I have a mooring, I hate being within a marina all the time. So, I am within the rules (and yes, I have a licence) but doing the dreaded CM'ing....I work so need to be local, but we enjoy being on the cut, AND moving around as and when we can. The marina fees are a huge part of my wage, and with the licence, that is over a quarter of our total income. We claim no benefits. This year has been very hard due to the engine re-build and various other items I have had to renew. Then I have all the normal other bills...insurances, vets, food, fuel, you name it, as most of us do. If we couldn't pay the moorings...should I close my business and claim benefits in order to CC, or live on the marina, or should I CM, in a mobile manner but within a drive range of work, and continue to be a responsible and self supporting person?

Things are not always clear cut you see. CM'ers are NOT all dirty scrounging layabouts, many are good honest folk caught in a trap that may have occurred since they joined the waterway life, unexpectedly. Be it for medical/social/work/financial/family etc reasons, god knows there are many of us affected by the recession in all kinds of ways. Plenty of us are 'outside the box' (and for many of us that is the appeal of life on the cut!!).

Edited to add: BTW, we move between a week- two weeks, we do NOT have anything on the towpath whilst moored,(lovely tug deck! wink.gif ) we pick up our dog poo and are generally sociable and helpful to other boaters....we don't even tell people to slow down!

You have to remember that most people are dumb drones who have no concept of anything or anyone different or outside their tiny scope of 'life'. They see Pizza Hut as a good meal out with the kids and sit watching TV most nights until in their mid-life crisis, they decide to spend what money they have been able to save on a 'good idea' - a boat. They then follow the well trodden path to boating whereby they do all the 'right things' including finding a mooring they have been waiting years to get for obvious reasons. They then spend a period of time taking little half to one mile trips that excite them so much and gives them something to talk about to their 'friends' and to dream about while carrying out their boring job. On one of their trips they will meet a curious type - someone who is free from the sadness, content with their exciting and changing circumstances, constantly meeting new people and a self identity completely alien to the drone boater.

They then spend time talking about these new people they have discovered and soon pick up the gossip about the dreaded continuous cruiser / continuous moorers and their lifestyles - I say lifestyles rather than lifestyle because every single one is different and magical.

After a short while, when they have spent all their hard earned money on the boat they paid far too much for with a loan they can't really afford they get bitter, they join clubs and start to get vocal about their plight, they hate, they are miserable they are jealous and they do whatever they can to try to destroy the lives and loves of others. They wish for persecution of these people, they want them off the rivers and canals, they don't want to be reminded of the situation they made for their own selves.

It's so sad to see it happen. It's very sad that people are so easily manipulated by those who wish just to parasite off others by taking their money in any way they can. It is hard for these people to squeeze money out of someone who doesn't have it so they encourage the drones to join their side in the persecution and harassment. The only person who will tolerate a free spirit is another free spirit.. the others just sit hidden under their gloomy stones looking out, wishing, hoping one day, if only, secretly aspiring to be the same.

To the free spirits - Love to you and thankyou... The drones - Love to you too, and please realise, the world you live in is the one you either created or allowed to be created for you. Get in touch with yourselves - you already have everything you will ever need, you always have had.

• Greenie 3

You have to remember that most people are dumb drones who have no concept of anything or anyone different or outside their tiny scope of 'life'. They see Pizza Hut as a good meal out with the kids and sit watching TV most nights until in their mid-life crisis, they decide to spend what money they have been able to save on a 'good idea' - a boat. They then follow the well trodden path to boating whereby they do all the 'right things' including finding a mooring they have been waiting years to get for obvious reasons. They then spend a period of time taking little half to one mile trips that excite them so much and gives them something to talk about to their 'friends' and to dream about while carrying out their boring job. On one of their trips they will meet a curious type - someone who is free from the sadness, content with their exciting and changing circumstances, constantly meeting new people and a self identity completely alien to the drone boater.

They then spend time talking about these new people they have discovered and soon pick up the gossip about the dreaded continuous cruiser / continuous moorers and their lifestyles - I say lifestyles rather than lifestyle because every single one is different and magical.

After a short while, when they have spent all their hard earned money on the boat they paid far too much for with a loan they can't really afford they get bitter, they join clubs and start to get vocal about their plight, they hate, they are miserable they are jealous and they do whatever they can to try to destroy the lives and loves of others. They wish for persecution of these people, they want them off the rivers and canals, they don't want to be reminded of the situation they made for their own selves.

It's so sad to see it happen. It's very sad that people are so easily manipulated by those who wish just to parasite off others by taking their money in any way they can. It is hard for these people to squeeze money out of someone who doesn't have it so they encourage the drones to join their side in the persecution and harassment. The only person who will tolerate a free spirit is another free spirit.. the others just sit hidden under their gloomy stones looking out, wishing, hoping one day, if only, secretly aspiring to be the same.

To the free spirits - Love to you and thankyou... The drones - Love to you too, and please realise, the world you live in is the one you either created or allowed to be created for you. Get in touch with yourselves - you already have everything you will ever need, you always have had.

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Really? Probably some truth in there though, eh? A tad close to the bone perhaps.

I would say that Dew just about sums up what we have witnessed in the short time of being on the water.

In true Yorkshire fashion may I add.

In true typecasting fashion I guess the drones found these free spirits permanently moored on the same spot on one of their occasional trips out of the marina and wondered if they didn't want to move why they bought a boat...........

In true typecasting fashion I guess the drones found these free spirits permanently moored on the same spot on one of their occasional trips out of the marina and wondered if they didn't want to move why they bought a boat...........

I've found a new word which covers all of these scenarios, floating homes :-) lol

Quite divisive and negatively typecasting.

Poor old clone/drone boaters.

And I quite like Pizza hut occasionally.

Only as typecasting as clone/drone boaters are of the non-conformists amongst the boating fraternity.

Dew's approach reminds me of a book I read that was titled 'Afluenza'. Written by a psychologist, it documented how in modern society, people are brainwashed into following the conformist route in life and are influenced by marketeers into striving for material things beyond their practical reach.

When interviewed, many whom had attained their somewhat ideals in terms of wealth, were in fact sorry souls who lacked any real substance in their lives. Some of the poorest people I have ever met, are also the most content.

We too quite like Pizza Hut, especially the young naive staff who don't realise that when I phone for a takeaway order and announce my name as Richard Dastardly or Ken Woodchef, that I'm taking the proverbial.

I love free spirits whisky,gin, vodka and scones with jam and cream !

Oh, not you again fantasticphallus.

You caused a few raised eyebrows the last time you unzipped.

I've found a new word which covers all of these scenarios, floating homes :-) lol

That's two words! :-)

One could ask the very same question of many marina dwellers.

When CRT solves the issues of "cm'ers", one wonders what new issue will arise to replace it.

they must be happy that they have penned most of them in Marinas now if only they could get the CC'ers to stay in one place they could save a fortune in maintenance and dredging.

When CRT solves the issues of "cm'ers", one wonders what new issue will arise to replace it.

Man is basically a problem solving animal, as soon as he solves one problem, he creates another.

Really? Probably some truth in there though, eh? A tad close to the bone perhaps.

I have re-read it and yes, I think it is pretty patronising to be fair.

It is pretty much encapsulating what it seems to be railing against and that is the "othering" of boaters. sadly an intrinsic human trait.

I would suggest I fit hardly any of the profile actually Jenlyn apart from maybe owning a boat. Our first trip on our newly acquired boat (bought for cash at the age of 35) was from Chester to the end of the Caldon and back with two small children.

I am a live and let live person and certainly don't travel around harumphing at people with an alternative lifestyle to mine on the canals. It is a lifestyle i would never want. I don't want to live on a boat but love the canals and boats and find the "othering" of marina dwelling "shiny boat" owners as tiresome and boring as the "othering" of continuous cruisers.

Unfortunately, the new Governing body is looking to make money and the people who have skirted around the rules and regulations are the obvious first easy target but please don't begrudge "straight Heads" like me our lifestyle choice (and others who perhaps worked hard all their lives to fulfill their dream).

I don't eat pizza either (unfortunately) as i am gluten intolerant and they are always always like cardboard..

• Greenie 3

Man is basically a problem solving animal, as soon as he solves one problem, he creates another.

It's that damned advert on the telly about having problems with your tackle after 40 innit....

I have re-read it and yes, I think it is pretty patronising to be fair.

It is pretty much encapsulating what it seems to be railing against and that is the "othering" of boaters. sadly an intrinsic human trait.

I would suggest I fit hardly any of the profile actually Jenlyn apart from maybe owning a boat. Our first trip on our newly acquired boat (bought for cash at the age of 35) was from Chester to the end of the Caldon and back with two small children.

I am a live and let live person and certainly don't travel around harumphing at people with an alternative lifestyle to mine on the canals. It is a lifestyle i would never want. I don't want to live on a boat but love the canals and boats and find the "othering" of marina dwelling "shiny boat" owners as tiresome and boring as the "othering" of continuous cruisers.

Unfortunately, the new Governing body is looking to make money and the people who have skirted around the rules and regulations are the obvious first easy target but please don't begrudge "straight Heads" like me our lifestyle choice (and others who perhaps worked hard all their lives to fulfill their dream).

I don't eat pizza either (unfortunately) as i am gluten intolerant and they are always always like cardboard..

I don't think his post was aimed at you specifically.

I honestly don't care if it was or it was not. It is judgemental.

I thought that is something we were trying not to be as boaters

I think you should read the title of the thread and then perhaps explain why you find Dew's stance judgemental but are silent about that of the IWA