Deck paint advice please

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We are planning to paint the steal deck in our bow section as it is looking rather tatty now, we have a cratch cover over it which I will sort and re-stain the wood at the same time, can anyone recommend a b&q or simular paint that would be good to use? and could I use it on the stern? (trad)

Many thanks

Hi all,

We are planning to paint the steal deck in our bow section as it is looking rather tatty now, we have a cratch cover over it which I will sort and re-stain the wood at the same time, can anyone recommend a b&q or simular paint that would be good to use? and could I use it on the stern? (trad)

Many thanks

B&Q own brand garage floor paint or the International equivalent (also in B&Q) have always been fine on my decks. Do not get the water based (low VOC) stuff -its cr@p.

N

As ever, preparation and primers important so be sure to shift any rust spots.

We use B&Q floor paints in high traffic areas in our bar - easy to apply, quick to dry and should last a long time in that environment.

B&Q own brand garage floor paint or the International equivalent (also in B&Q) have always been fine on my decks. Do not get the water based (low VOC) stuff -its cr@p.

N

Isn't garage floor paint extremely shiny and therefore slippery underfoot in the wet when applied to flat smooth steel?

I'd suggest Craftmaster Raddle as it is semi-matt. Comes in several colours these days.

Isn't garage floor paint extremely shiny and therefore slippery underfoot in the wet when applied to flat smooth steel?

I don't know wether that's the case. I've used leyland un-textured floor paint, but still has an element of grip as you step on - even in the wet.

Both the front and rear deck areas are areas I'd be inclined to provide a good non-slip surface, even if it's only matting or such other.

Edited by Higgs

Could sand be added for grip at all?

Yes, very easy. Tape area and paint floor paint. Sprinkle kiln dried block paving sand. Leave 24hrs - remove excess. Roll on floor paint, slightly dilute so that it doesn't clog sand grains.

I'd suggest Craftmaster Raddle as it is semi-matt. Comes in several colours these days.

The B&Q International stuff is not particularly shiny, but more semi-matt- much like C'masters raddle. I have not found it to be slippery, even when wet. It goes matt quite quickly when outside, but lasts OK and is tougher than raddle.

N

Interesting. International are missing sales with that stuff. I picked it up in the chandlery but the tin had NO information on it for me to read about it's characteristics or intended use, so I put it back and bought Craftmaster Raddle Grey instead.

Had I read (from your link):

Specially formulated anti-skid deck paint designed for use over all suitably primed substrates. Contains a fine aggregate. Low sheen finish.

If thinning is required use thinners No. 1

Coverage: 7m2/750ml

I'd have bought it, as it seems more suitable and cheaper.

Info is attached to international tins inside a sealed plastic envelope that prospective buyers cannot read.

Mike

I think the advantage of Interdeck is that the aggregate spreads evenly no matter how badly you brush the paint out. I've heard that some other paints with aggregagte (or paints where you add it yourself), can end up looking a bit patchy if you're not skilled at applying it.

Edited by blackrose