mosquitoes and gnats

nichimyo

Featured Posts

I've found one grave disadvantage to my lovely new lifestyle - I should have predicted it! - I'm being eaten alive by gnats and / or mosquitoes (not sure what the difference is LOL).

Any bright ideas on:

- how to keep them off the boat?

or

- how I can dissuade them from biting me? (they generally catch me off guard when I am asleep)

or

- is there anything I can do to stop myself from reacting so badly to their bites? (the latest crop are inch and a half diameter red lumps with a yellow blister in the mddle of each which gradually fills and bursts to leave a scab. They itch like fury and are several degrees hotter than the surrounding skin. It's driving me nuts!!!)

:cheers::)

I've found one grave disadvantage to my lovely new lifestyle - I should have predicted it! - I'm being eaten alive by gnats and / or mosquitoes (not sure what the difference is LOL).

Any bright ideas on:

or

- how I can dissuade them from biting me? (they generally catch me off guard when I am asleep)

or

- is there anything I can do to stop myself from reacting so badly to their bites? (the latest crop are inch and a half diameter red lumps with a yellow blister in the mddle of each which gradually fills and bursts to leave a scab. They itch like fury and are several degrees hotter than the surrounding skin. It's driving me nuts!!!)

Citronella candles and oil are both good and I like to keep some mint growing in the kitchen to help ward them off. Lavender oil diluted with sweet almond oil is soothing and helps you sleep more easily.

You can go chemical in which case Piriton is good. Industrial strength insecticides are a last resort as are insect repellents (some have some really unpleasant and carcinogenic ingredients in them). Try looking on Dutch websites for homeopathic remedies - they have some considerable experience of the mozzie syndrome there!

Regards, Shep

Any bright ideas on:

or

or

antisan - it is a cream get it in boots and rub it on - fabulous stuff. None of the others work for me.

Repellant sprays no good as I would have to cover every square inch. They can find ANYWHERE I don't cover. If I do my face, for example, they find the space between my eyelashes and my eyes (I kid you not).

I'm thinking of those coils that campers burn at the doors of their tents.

That's 2 suggestions I've heard for garlic - I'll try that too.

Piriton and anthisan aren't hard-core enough unfortunately, they go no-where near the heavy-duty reaction I have to the b*gg**s. 100% DEET works, but I don't think it's a hugely good idea health-wise.

I was going to suggest DEET, I used it when in Malaysia and it worked.

A good curry can work, partly the garlic, partly the other spices.

I have also heard that marmite works for some people. Not sure how, maybe something to do with the B12. Apparently it is linked to a genetically enabled metabolic process so doesn't work for everyone.

I would suggest marmite on toast accompanied by a good stiff G & T.

That's 2 suggestions I've heard for garlic - I'll try that too.

Make that three. I'm not sure about the tablets, what's wrong with the real thing (as long as your OH has some too :cheers:) And olives, I think :)

Like you they seem to go for me and leave everyone else alone. The family think it's great as when I am around they don't get bothered at all!!!

I have seen this advertised for "after" the little B's have got you. I have not yet got hold of one so I don't know if they work, but for £4.95 I thought it would be worth a try.

Zapper.jpg

I grew up in Spain, where everyone uses plug in repellants that really do the job. You must be able to get them over here too. Just plug it in, and the mossies will stay out. The ones that are already in the boat will either fly out, or eventually die.

Strange thing is, the mossies we get on our boat don't seem to bite. Maybe they can't handle the alcohol in our blood stream.

I have also heard that marmite works for some people. Not sure how, maybe something to do with the B12. Apparently it is linked to a genetically enabled metabolic process so doesn't work for everyone.

I would suggest marmite on toast accompanied by a good stiff G & T.

ahh... someone at work said vitamin B... will investigate.

Make that three. I'm not sure about the tablets, what's wrong with the real thing (as long as your OH has some too :cheers:) And olives, I think :)

Garlic, mmm seems a favourite suggestion. Olives, eh? more investigation...

I have seen this advertised for "after" the little B's have got you. I have not yet got hold of one so I don't know if they work, but for £4.95 I thought it would be worth a try.

Zapper.jpg

This is another one that's been mentioned to me by other sources.

All ideas will be tried and I'll report back!!

Lavender oil diluted with sweet almond oil is soothing and helps you sleep more easily.

Ooh, this one's just seeped into my consciousness... mmm s-o-o-o-o-thing I can imagine some other benefits of this approach too, definitely high on my list to try :cheers:

and you can get the same effect with BEER!

And even if it doesn't work, it's got to be worth researching :)

edit:

There's an annual Garlic Festival on the Isle of Wight, August bank holiday.

They even have a Garlic Beer :cheers:

It's different :)

Edited by Moley

Apparently, it's the yeast in marmite that works, and you can get the same effect with BEER!

How about a mosquito net?

I am told that B12 is the active ingredient and that it is highest in STOUT! so I shall give it a go.

The mosquito net may be ok in the bedroom but not if I want to admire the sunset before I go to bed or if I have to go to the loo in the middle of the night :cheers: and I can imagine them all gathering round waiting to get me the moment I step outside it :)

Guess why I passed up the chance to go on an Amazon safari?

Any bright ideas on:

or

or

hi,

Having fished a bit in Scotland, and not liking deet:

www.neem.co.uk

www.stopbite.com

www.bitefree.com

or amazingly, Avon Skin So Soft (must be Woodland Fresh though).

Have all worked - can't say I've a preference.

Recently spotted:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=128

that may help in the boat during the night? Not tried it myself.

Len

My Mother has a severe reaction to insect bites so I bought her a 'venom' extractor kit. I got it at Boots and is effective on bee. wasp and mosquito bites and stings. (also snakes ) A similar one is here:

link

If the link doesn't work try : http://www.ardernhealthcare.co.uk/bens-ins...-extractor.html

They arn't cheap (£15 or so in Boots) but may be an answer if you are troubled by insects. I think mossies and gnats send out a phermone to alert others to a tasty body!

Chrissie

hi,

Having fished a bit in Scotland, and not liking deet:

......... or amazingly, Avon Skin So Soft (must be Woodland Fresh though).

Len

My Dad, keen fisherman and gardener swears by Skin So Soft too. Apparently Avon don't know what goes into it to repel the insects and they're as amazed as the rest of us!

My Dad, keen fisherman and gardener swears by Skin So Soft too. Apparently Avon don't know what goes into it to repel the insects and they're as amazed as the rest of us!

yep ......I've heard that too. Just need to get an Avon lady to trot along the towpath the boat.

Any bright ideas on:

or

or

Hi,

Get one of those fly electrocution thingys that looks like a plastic tennis racket. They're great fun (with a capital G ;o) don't use chemicals and we got ours from our local pound-shop for you've guessed it - 1quid (10 at the shows!) I generally go round the windows and lights holding it there until they fly in of their own free wish.

You don't need to do any fancy tennis bat actions like they're doing at Wimbledon at the moment, which is good for me 'cus I'm no expert in anything to do with sports...

Cheers,

Chris.

skin so soft is brilliant use it all summer never get bit the type you want is soft & fresh moisureiser or dry oil body spray I spray it all over me & it lasts ages & not expensive everyone on the canal who knows me now uses it, reckon I should be on commision for Avon. Bren