Rudder Bearing Grease

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Which grease is best for a rudder bearing? Can I just use stern gland grease?

Thanks

Yes. If it's a ball bearing type, the bearing does so little work that all the grease really does is to keep the water out and stop the balls rusting so any grease will do, within reason. If you are buying it a waterproof medium grease is the one to go for.

If it's a plain bearing rudder then the grease is more of a lubricant but anything will still do.

N

Hi

I use stern tube grease, simply bescause it's handy. There's a grease nipple on top of the rudder stock and a few deft strokes with a grease gun put a layer between the stock and top hat. It's only an occasional job. Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi

I use stern tube grease, simply bescause it's handy. <snip>

Dave

Oh yes, it's handy for lots of things is stern tube grease. Lubricating slides and hinges, rust prevention, putting a dab onto nuts and bolts when reassembling, corrosion protection on battery terminals, restoring tools fished from the cut

Apparently you can grease the stern tube with it too - if you have any left :P

Richard

Oh yes, it's handy for lots of things is stern tube grease. Lubricating slides and hinges, rust prevention, putting a dab onto nuts and bolts when reassembling, corrosion protection on battery terminals, restoring tools fished from the cut

Richard

[anorak on]

To help folks understand why -

Most greases absorb water - they are made from sodium compounds

Stern tube grease is water repellant (made from calcium compunds) so doesn't disolve and wash away.

Thus it's very useful for anything on a boat that comes into contact with water - as indicated in the post quoted

[anorak off]

I'm the sort of chap who likes an explanation for things, but that doesn't suit everybody. Sorry.

• Greenie 1

Richard

Can also be used to preserve paint brushes for a day or two until you get home and have a chance to clean them out properly.

I am really glad someone has asked this question I only came across the grease nipple the other day as it was covered in paint. Up until then I thought it was sealed. :unsure:

Make sure it's not the same as the one on a friends boat, after cleaning the paint off and having no luck pumping grease through I unscrewed the nipple to find it just led into the side of the ball bearing outer race, a dead end hole.

Make sure it's not the same as the one on a friends boat, after cleaning the paint off and having no luck pumping grease through I unscrewed the nipple to find it just led into the side of the ball bearing outer race, a dead end hole.

Usually, the grease nipple on flange ball bearings does two things. First, it lubricates the spherical housing which allows the bearing to align itself. Then, usually, there are tiny holes around the periphery of the outer race of the actual bearing, and if you're lucky some of the grease will actually penetrate into the bearing. Don't expect miracles, though, with a bearing which has been subjected to the indignity of sitting on top of a rudder tube and having canal water or worse blasted against it at regular intervals.

Tim