Are there any places to avoid?

Zayna

Featured Posts

I did suffer untying just below Banbury lock, before the facilities, next to some statics. Ourselves and another boat were untied. I heard the sods doing it and confronted them. They legged it and I called the police. I had to shout over to the other boat. the chap woke up and manouvered back then went back to sleep without a word of thanks. I think he was more annoyed that I had woken him up.

Before the police turned up, our friends returned and got quite a shock as I wished them a good evening before they legged it again. The police then spotted them and chased em about a bit. They did not return and we moved on to Cropredy.

I reckon the better mooring spot is above the lock where many more boats moor, shame it was my first trip there as I would have tried to moor above the lock, but beware it seems very popular.

Myself and the good lady have just returned from a week on the Black Country Ring and had no problems really.

Arrived in Birmingham too late to get moored centrally so moored up alongside another hireboat just after St Vincents St bridge near a rather dodgy looking estate but no problems and even managed to pick up some butter (which we forgot) before we set off again. The most disturbances were from the party boats going backwards and forwards!

Joe

The Forth & Clyde through Glasgow. Your passage through the lift / swing bridges (can't remember which) and locks is dictated by BWS, so you can't go through at 6am while the yobs are in bed. Had a very nasty experience there as a result, with a drugged-up Glaswegian (I'm sure most of them are lovely, just not this particular specimen)trying to smash the boat up while we were in a lock. The 5 BWS staff just stood & watched.

The western side of the Rochdale is very hard work, but we had no problems with the locals there; going through any "dodgy" area in the lashing rain always helps :-)

I'd be inclined to avoid the Alimentary canal in Tumshire if i were you cos it has lots of sharp bends in it and gets a bit smelly towards the end, but don't worry too much or you might get ulcers. :closedeyes:

• Greenie 1

The worst experience I've had was in in idealic St. Ives on the Bedford Ouse where we had locals dancing on the roof in the night, followed much later by others untying the mooring ropes. This is a river with nasty weirs :-( Luckily I'd put on an additional line to a ring hidden low in the jetty, so we didn't end up drifting. Ralph

The worst experience I've had was in in idealic St. Ives on the Bedford Ouse where we had locals dancing on the roof in the night, followed much later by others untying the mooring ropes. This is a river with nasty weirs :-( Luckily I'd put on an additional line to a ring hidden low in the jetty, so we didn't end up drifting. Ralph

I've not forgiven St Ives for the sleep lost to incessant drum'n bass from a venue somewhere near the river. These country towns are often unexpected hotbeds of vice......

MP.

I'd be inclined to avoid the Alimentary canal in Tumshire if i were you cos it has lots of sharp bends in it and gets a bit smelly towards the end, but don't worry too much or you might get ulcers. :closedeyes:

You're in condition tonight Biz

Richard

The Forth & Clyde through Glasgow. Your passage through the lift / swing bridges (can't remember which) and locks is dictated by BWS, so you can't go through at 6am while the yobs are in bed. Had a very nasty experience there as a result, with a drugged-up Glaswegian (I'm sure most of them are lovely, just not this particular specimen)trying to smash the boat up while we were in a lock. The 5 BWS staff just stood & watched.

The western side of the Rochdale is very hard work, but we had no problems with the locals there; going through any "dodgy" area in the lashing rain always helps :-)

Did this occur just after breakfast? Cos its usually the porridge that brings that behavior on not drugs. :closedeyes: