Mooring on kennet and avon

sue1

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

i been trying to get information on moorings on the kennet and avon and i hope someone can help, i`m planning to live abroad a canal boat in the future ( trying to raise the essential pennies )i need to moor permantly because CC will not be practical in the beginning, i`m looking to moor between devizies and reading mostly interested in newbury area, i known devizies has 7 residatial mooring but apart from that i cant locate anything, any where else, does any one know of any long term mooring that you can live on or marina that do it on the quiet ( please message me if you don`t want to name the marina )

any help would be appreicated

Thanks Susan

Hi everyone

i been trying to get information on moorings on the kennet and avon and i hope someone can help, i`m planning to live abroad a canal boat in the future ( trying to raise the essential pennies )i need to moor permantly because CC will not be practical in the beginning, i`m looking to moor between devizies and reading mostly interested in newbury area, i known devizies has 7 residatial mooring but apart from that i cant locate anything, any where else, does any one know of any long term mooring that you can live on or marina that do it on the quiet ( please message me if you don`t want to name the marina )

any help would be appreicated

Thanks Susan

In which country? :)

PM sent.

Most marinas do have the odd livaboard but the official council recognised moorings are few and far between, the Thames & Kennet marina in Reading has a few i think but you need to be earning well to afford to live there.

Most of the online BW/cart moorings have had livaboards on them but very few if any have had council recognition. The private moorings downstream from Burghfield island has its fair share of livaboards , as do the old reading marine moorings at padworth, there are two or three rough moorings at the end of a farmers field near towney lock, privately let. IDR in reading nearly always has moorings available but there is a reason for that, its a very lively placeto spend a night, to live therewould need a special kind of cast iron person and strong locks on all the doors.

Good luck, don't let it put you off completely, its a great life if you can make it all work out for you.

There is a marina in Newbury - I forget what it's called but I know at least one guy lives on a boat there (as he told me so)...

There is a marina in Newbury - I forget what it's called but I know at least one guy lives on a boat there (as he told me so)...

Sorry - just checked online - the marina I meant seems not to offer Resi moorings - wonder what marina the guy I met was talking about? Anyway, sorry to confuse the issue!

I was under the impression that the whole of the Kennet & Avon was one long permanent mooring?

Sue?

Last week a friend of mine who moors at foxhangers went down to the floating harbour and said there were very few boats at the moment moored twix BOA and Bath, whats happened ? has Scotty beamed evryone up ?

Tim

This poster is refering to Devizes to Reading :rolleyes:

Aha, the Wild Lands....

:cheers:

Last week a friend of mine who moors at foxhangers went down to the floating harbour and said there were very few boats at the moment moored twix BOA and Bath, whats happened ? has Scotty beamed evryone up ?

Tim

There do seem to be less boats than before, but to give the BW team their due, they have been moving people on. Although there is still a hard core of boats that don't seem to like boating...

• Greenie 1

Tim

Clearly had their eyes shut through bathampton then!

There may be a mooring on the old Reading Marine moorings above Aldermaston Lock. Suggest contacting A.B.C Lesiure at Aldermaston Wharf they don't operate the moorings(may be able to give you contact number) make sure you enquire about the contact number for the moorings 'above Aldermaston Lock'. Bunny.

Thames & Kennet marina in Reading has a few

You're kidding? Thames and Kennet has a vast and thriving liveaboard community. This is how they get away with such high mooring charges!

But to the OP, you can live unofficially on virtually any BW on-line mooring. The line is, you don't live on it, you just visit your boat regularly and often stay overnight, wink wink.

Mike

Guest wanted

This is potentially an interesting development in how mooring status is recognised. I raised this in another thread recently but it didn't get picked up.

My thoughts are, if an LA decide to charge council tax for leisure moorings which are being 'used frequently' could this attract a strong argument to revise the planning status to residential.

Apologies to the OP for veering off topic. Hope you find a suitable mooring soon.

It would still be interesting to have some flesh on these bones (if there is any) as this rumour has floated around for years.

It's not something that could feasibly happen in secret and presumably there would have to be a firm framework, like that which applies to caravan parks.

It *is* happening though isn't it?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48424&st=0&p=901096&hl=+council%20+tax&fromsearch=1entry901096

Plus there is a carrot and stick for LA's all of a sudden. If they allow residential moorings then don't they get something like double or triple council tax for the first two or three years, as in the government makes up the amount for them?

Buy a bw workboat, then you can moor where e er you want, for as long as you want.

Currently, a workboat has been moored for over a week, on the 24 hour moorings outside the George in Bathampton.

Has anybody ever seen a workboat with a notice attached?

Nah, didn't think so...

One rule for ....

It *is* happening though isn't it?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48424&st=0&p=901096&hl=+council%20+tax&fromsearch=1entry901096

Plus there is a carrot and stick for LA's all of a sudden. If they allow residential moorings then don't they get something like double or triple council tax for the first two or three years, as in the government makes up the amount for them?

Interesting, I hadn't seen that thread or the information about leicestershire.

Changing times.