WEIGHTS and MEASURES

Featured Posts

Could one of you geniuses on here please do a mathematical problem for me.This is the question;I have a plastic container that measures in old money,22 inches x 6ft x 5inches deep.I need the total amount of volume in litres and then this converting to weight.Thanks.

Could one of you geniuses on here please do a mathematical problem for me.This is the question;I have a plastic container that measures in old money,22 inches x 6ft x 5inches deep.I need the total amount of volume in litres and then this converting to weight.Thanks.

Edited to correct miscalc I make that 129.79 litres which, filled with water, would be 129.79 kg.

Roger

Edited by Albion

First, convert all measurements to inches, so 22" x 72" x 5"

multiply all measurements by 25.4 to get them in millimetres 558.8 x 1828.8 x 127

multiply all measurements together to get volume in cubic millimetres 129785546.88

divide by 1,000,000 to get volume in litres 129.786 to 3dp, or just under 130 litres if you don't need perfect accuracy.

Edited to add, how much it weighs will depend on the density of whatever you fill it with. for water that's about 130kg. For diesel the value can vary quite a bit, the list I've found suggests 0.85 to 0.92 kg per litre, which would result in a value between 110kg and 120kg (roughly).

Edited by Teadaemon

Assuming these are the internal dimensions of the container:

4.583 cubic feet = 129.8 litres. If filled with water the contents will weigh 1.3 tonnes.

Assuming these are the internal dimensions of the container:

4.583 cubic feet = 129.8 litres. If filled with water the contents will weigh 1.3 tonnes.

Er no sir

129.8 kg - you are out by a factor of ten

That was really quick by all of you,thanks very much.(water by the way)

129.8 according to my son...

Good lad,he will do well.

Edited to correct miscalc I make that 129.79 litres which, filled with water, would be 129.79 kg.

Roger

Not bad Roger :cheers:

Heavy water?

1.3 tons,brilliant.

You could do it in old money.

;)

In feet,22/12 x 6 x 5/12 = 4.58 cu ft

x 6.25 = 28.6 gallons.

For water, 1 gallon weighs 10 lb, so 286 lb, or 130 kg, near as dammit.

Tim

Now the reasons for the calculations.I am thinking of placing said plastic container(baffled and for drinking water)one third down the boat from the bow as an extra tank.This will give extra range for liveaboards and cc'ers and also help to ballast the boat(widebeam) a bit a more as I feel the bow and the boat overall could do with lowering a bit.I could quite easily add some more ballast when furniture,clothes and all the other liveaboard stuff as been added but I might as well add weight that will be usable.Your thoughts and criticism invited as ever.

Now the reasons for the calculations.I am thinking of placing said plastic container(baffled and for drinking water)one third down the boat from the bow as an extra tank.This will give extra range for liveaboards and cc'ers and also help to ballast the boat(widebeam) a bit a more as I feel the bow and the boat overall could do with lowering a bit.I could quite easily add some more ballast when furniture,clothes and all the other liveaboard stuff as been added but I might as well add weight that will be usable.Your thoughts and criticism invited as ever.

The problem with using water in a tank as ballast is that you lose any effect when the tank is empty.

If the boat needs more ballast to trim it correctly then it needs something more permanent I would say.

OT: Martin I have only just noticed that you have changed your forum name from MJG to The Dog House. I know it's the name of your boat, but I assume that MJG are your initials; what prompted the change?

The problem with using water in a tank as ballast is that you lose any effect when the tank is empty.

If the boat needs more ballast to trim it correctly then it needs something more permanent I would say.

Yes,quite right but it would only brought into use as a back up.Yer know,when in shower and yer know yer should have got water at the last watering hole.

OT: Martin I have only just noticed that you have changed your forum name from MJG to The Dog House. I know it's the name of your boat, but I assume that MJG are your initials; what prompted the change?

Nothing other than it's the name of our boat and a good few forum members match the name of their boat to their forum name.

I've always loved the boats name and it's more interesting than three boring initials.

Yes,quite right but it would only brought into use as a back up.Yer know,when in shower and yer know yer should have got water at the last watering hole.

I can see the benefit of having a backup, other than if it's not drawn on very often it could stagnate, if it is not drawn on for drinking water though then this of course would not be an problem, unless of course we ignite the whole Legionella discussion again.

I can see the benefit of having a backup, other than if it's not drawn on very often it could stagnate, if it is not drawn on for drinking water though then this of course would not be an problem, unless of course we ignite the whole Legionella discussion again.

No, this tank would be drawn from first as it is in line from the main tank.

Edited by bowten

Yep well done bizzard.

Fairy nuff I'm out

- I'm having problems visualising what you are proposing in the absence of a diagram.

Other than all you are doing is creating a bigger tank overall which will run out at some point if you push things thinking you have more capacity and then.........

drip drip drip...no water.

Fairy nuff I'm out

- I'm having problems visualising what you are proposing in the absence of a diagram.

Other than all you are doing is creating a bigger tank overall which will run out at some point if you push things thinking you have more capacity and then.........

drip drip drip...no water.

Now now ,don't go.The idea is to use any extra ballast as a useful item,it would be useful if you are gaining a larger tank.I know the scenario you are suggesting but I doubt this would happen too often.I asked for constructive criticism and that's what you did and thankyou.