rayburn

Titan

Featured Posts

Hi, as i have never seen a solid fuel rayburn dismantled , could someone advise me of the size once dismantled ?? does it come totally apart ? or is the inner casting still a large lump???? ie can we dismantle it to a point where it can be transported through the doors of a average narrow boat ??? This is info will help us decide future plans in anticipation i thank you one and all regards Martin

No they won't go through standard doors. Ours came in through an especially wide side hatch on a fork lift. I wouldn't recommend one after having a rayburn and later a small stove. I much prefer the small stove.

Hi, as i have never seen a solid fuel rayburn dismantled , could someone advise me of the size once dismantled ?? does it come totally apart ? or is the inner casting still a large lump???? ie can we dismantle it to a point where it can be transported through the doors of a average narrow boat ??? This is info will help us decide future plans in anticipation i thank you one and all regards Martin

I suggest the Rayburn will be far too substantial and unwieldy for a NB

There are other (similar) cookers such as Heritage, but they are also fairly substantial bits of kit.

We have a widebeam, and even a modest little 4.5Kw Morso Squirrel keeps the boat extremely warm in winter

Edited for spelllling

Edited by Grace & Favour

I have a 216SFW on Cobbett. It will just fit through the front doors as a single unit. The top and the doors can be demounted which reduces the weight (about a third of a tonne) but not the bulk.

She puts out 8kW at peak heat which makes her a slightly oversized Squirrel at normal running levels and she does all of my hot water, four radiators and my cooking without problems although I rarely let her go out in winter. I've been running her from the start of September and I am still lighting her on cold days at the moment. I truly love her despite her idiosyncrasies (and they are legion) and wouldn't be without her. I tend to use about a bag and half to two bags of anthracite or Taybrite a week plus any wood I can scavenge.

I have a 216SFW on Cobbett. It will just fit through the front doors as a single unit. The top and the doors can be demounted which reduces the weight (about a third of a tonne) but not the bulk.

She puts out 8kW at peak heat which makes her a slightly oversized Squirrel at normal running levels and she does all of my hot water, four radiators and my cooking without problems although I rarely let her go out in winter. I've been running her from the start of September and I am still lighting her on cold days at the moment. I truly love her despite her idiosyncrasies (and they are legion) and wouldn't be without her. I tend to use about a bag and half to two bags of anthracite or Taybrite a week plus any wood I can scavenge.

Have tried to PM you ? perhaps inbox full ??? :smiley_offtopic:

Well they will flat pack, though getting it back together again may be a bit of a challenge depending on how corroded the fittings are.

I am a fan, I think they go great on a narrow boat -just because a stove is rated 8Kw doesn't mean it's putting that out all the time (or even a squirrel at 4.5KW). We are not talking about electric fires. A Rayburn takes some stoking (and time) to get it anywhere near that kind of output and, for me at least, only happens a couple of times a year.

The towel rail will come off fairly easy but it's more likely the height that will be the limiting factor in terms of your door. (820mm)

For dimensions, try this site http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/raytech/dimens200-1.htm

The 200 series (Royal) is the only one I've seen installed in boats.

Edited by Chris Pink

The 200 series (Royal) is the only one I've seen installed in boats.

I had an old pattern Rayburn no 1 on Usk which didn't have the towel rail and was, I'm sure, smaller than the Royal.

On Lucy I had a Caledonian complete with towel rail and plate warming rack. Sadly this fell apart when it was being lifted out.

You could try an Esse, this is ours, you can still pick these up second hand relatively cheap, alternatively Esse still make a nice range of ranges to more than match the Aga and they are British!

I haven't yet taken ours apart but it looks as if it could.

Joshua

gallery_12464_697_91099.jpg

gallery_12464_697_121116.jpg

Very nice looking range, and what looks like a lovely fit out. Do you have a model number for that range?

Thanks.

Thank you, yes, its a 'Standard Doric'. the model name plate (on the inside of the oven door if you ever need to find one) also includes the letters 'LHO GLB' but I am not sure that is very relevant.

I did see one for sale recently (can't remember the web site) for about £300, I even thought of buying it for spares but have since discovered that Esse still supply parts for their old models.

Like Wrigglefingers and I have no doubt most people with a range, ours is like a long standing, very reliable, hugely comforting and entertaining, old friend. We even look forward to the winter when we can all meet up again!

Like most ranges, it obviously heats directly (in our case pretty much the whole of our 66ft boat all on its own), powers 3 radiators (for good measure), heats the water in a calirofier and cooks, in the winter we keep a kettle on top 24/7.

Joshua

They're brilliant but you have to really want one as they take up a lot of space and are much slower to get to a useful heat than a small regular boat stove, only really worthwhile for a liveaboard, we inherited it and I like the eccentric quality it gives the boat, or is that me?

They're brilliant but you have to really want one as they take up a lot of space and are much slower to get to a useful heat than a small regular boat stove, only really worthwhile for a liveaboard, we inherited it and I like the eccentric quality it gives the boat, or is that me?

Yes, I think they are not for everyone but there is only me, so items like that will be important and worth losing the extra space. Also I grew up with a similar model.

There is a Lionheart on ebay but at £3k I think it is a bit OTT even for me :)

You dont dismantle Rayburns.

I would think that one of the smaller ones like the SFW212 would fit through the doors but you would need lots of help as they are heavy.

Do you just take them apart then?

• 1 month later...

No they won't go through standard doors. Ours came in through an especially wide side hatch on a fork lift. I wouldn't recommend one after having a rayburn and later a small stove. I much prefer the small stove.

Hi I have been planning on fitting a Rayburn in what will eventually be my new boat! I've desperately been trying to find someone who has previous experience of living with one, how come you wouldn't recommend one?

It took too long to heat up when we had been away. Hubby complained about the smoke in his face when I opened it up to cook on . The smoke in the boat when opening the fire door was horrendous as the chimney wasn't long enough. We needed another cooker for the summer anyway and for boiling kettles . We rarely ran it above tick over otherwise the water in the rads boiled. We are much happier with the solid fuel fire

It took too long to heat up when we had been away. Hubby complained about the smoke in his face when I opened it up to cook on . The smoke in the boat when opening the fire door was horrendous as the chimney wasn't long enough. We needed another cooker for the summer anyway and for boiling kettles . We rarely ran it above tick over otherwise the water in the rads boiled. We are much happier with the solid fuel fire

Sounds like a very poor installation to me and if smoke was leaking into the oven then I would think it was in poor repair too.

On the fire side of the hot plate we could have a kettle boiling 30 minutes after lighting from cold, it never smoked unless starting from cold with green wood, and we didn't have radiators because it heated the whole boat.

We never burnt coal on it though, preferring wood or smokeless as the only sack of coal we used blocked the chimney before we'd burnt it all.

The Caledonian was even better, being even easier to control.

I had it's predecessor, made by Caledonian before Esse took them over.

Mine was from the 1920s but was identical to yours apart from a beautiful plate warming rack over the top.

Talking of lovely things and sorry to take this off topic for a moment, but I saw this yesterday and thought you as much as anyone on here would appreciate it.

Don’t know anything about it save to say it caught my eye, standing out head and shoulders above all the other boats in Sharpness marina.

Joshua

gallery_12464_697_168487.jpg

gallery_12464_697_144556.jpg

• 6 months later...