Stove door

Ray

Featured Posts

The door of our Aarow multi fuel stove had what appears to be a rope based seal on it. That seal has been damaged and needs replacement.

Will I need something designed specifically for the make/model of the stove or is there a generic product?

What is the seal called (so that I know what to ask for) and what is it made of?

How is the seal held in place?

Many thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

Many chandlers stock fire rope in a variety of diameters. Usually they sell it in lengths suitable for one stove door or will sell by the metre from a roll. Normally it is just wedged into a channel around the inner edge of the door but you can buy special glue to secure it.

Edited by aread2

Key thing is the diameter of the rope-we took a sample of the rope and the name and model of the stove into the chandler and they sorted us out. You fix it with stove glue and most chandlers who supply the rope will also supply the glue. You may also find a kit on internet which will include the right length of rope for the make of your fire and a tube of glue. It cost us about £15 for rope and glue. Stove shops will also supply it- but our local chandler was cheaper than the stove shop

Will I need something designed specifically for the make/model of the stove or is there a generic product?

What is the seal called (so that I know what to ask for) and what is it made of?

Asbestos has been replaced with fibreglass.

The rope is available in various diameters and also in flat form.

Some are clamped in or slot into a groove, others are glued!

If it slots in there should be an area (usually at the bottom, where it is open to slide it in!

The stove door will be very difficult to close after you've replaced the rope, but it does improve with time!

Yep that's right but as you say it does improve when the door has been closed and a few firings of the stove have happened.

If it is very difficult or just about impossible to close properly and you are using a generic stove rope of the correct diameter you can always try the trick of pulling out the central core of the rope it does make the rope give a bit more then.

Thanks for the comments.

The spare part id is AFS1021.

A quick Google search - other search engines, etc., - reveals prices for the "kit" from between £30 including carriage and £55 before postage. Unfortunately I can't ascertain the rope size.

A certain well known Internet auction site has the (door) rope for around £10 and the cement for a £1 plus postage. That's a big difference. I can't wait to measure the tape size - will it have compressed with over 3 year's use?

Let's hope the temperature doesn't drop in the meantime!

The door of our Aarow multi fuel stove had what appears to be a rope based seal on it. That seal has been damaged and needs replacement.

Many thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

Hi, once you can find out the size of rope is needed you will be able to order it from the roll.

If you don't know the model of stove post a photo on the forum. Measuring will give a rough idea but it may of compressed etc.

You could ask on the arrow stoves forum here My link but they will only quote the code for the rope needed. I personally would measure and buy the nearest size to that or a bit bigger. Ie buy two nearest measured sizes up and see which fits best.

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

Thanks for the comments.

The spare part id is AFS1021.

A quick Google search - other search engines, etc., - reveals prices for the "kit" from between £30 including carriage and £55 before postage. Unfortunately I can't ascertain the rope size.

A certain well known Internet auction site has the (door) rope for around £10 and the cement for a £1 plus postage. That's a big difference. I can't wait to measure the tape size - will it have compressed with over 3 year's use?

Let's hope the temperature doesn't drop in the meantime!

You can find the rope at chandlers or better still from stove suppliers and much cheaper than you have been quoted.

Replaced ours last month - measured the gap with a ruler and purchased rope and glue from Uxbridge boat shop - about the same price as ebay etc and with a smile. Correct about closing the door afterwards - did try to adjust the small screw on the catch but it won't budge - so will have to give it time... Don't forget to check the part under the door - that has similar seals which might also need replacing - ours didn't.