CaRT 'celebrations'

Ally

Featured Posts

Does anyone know *what* the celebrations are or were supposed to be, for the instigation of CaRT? I have heard talk whilst out and about, that they have spent huge amounts on bunting and other celebratory things, hoping to fit it all in between the Jubilee and the Olympics, but as it looks like it may now coincide with the olympics, they are scaling it all down........sounds like a waste of monies to me, but this is just what I am hearing. Anyone have any info?

A big launch would certainly benefit any new charity.

Personally I'd delay it until after the Jubilympics fuss has died down but that would probably provide even more ammunition for the naysayers who will condemn them for wasting money on a big launch if they do throw a party or slag them off for poor marketing and promotion if the launch is low key.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Edited by carlt

Its all happening on July 12th at several places around the system. We are directly involved with the launch in Birmingham as one of the participating boats. Yes they are having lots of bunting and the Birmingham "do" is at the Ikon gallery in Oozells square, the invites went out Tuesday by email although as an inline attachment you could not read properly or print!

I think a launch event or events is appropriate. They have to make their presence felt when they take-over and show that they are now in charge and open for business. They have a lot of fund raising to do and the more people they can reach and make aware the better.

I except though that the timing with the Olympics etc. may mean some events later in the year could have more impact.

However, a strategy of "lets keep things quiet and wait for the money to roll in" seems highly flawed.

Its all happening on July 12th at several places around the system. We are directly involved with the launch in Birmingham as one of the participating boats. Yes they are having lots of bunting and the Birmingham "do" is at the Ikon gallery in Oozells square, the invites went out Tuesday by email although as an inline attachment you could not read properly or print!

There is also a "do" in Leeds on July 12th. I got an invite a couple of weeks ago.

Howard

Can't remember the exact date (might be the 12th) but there is something happening in London. I seen to have become a Towpath Ranger down here in the Smoke (share the space, cyclists slow down, organise events to promote canal use etc. and several other initiatives). Even with my cynical outlook on life (well everything) much of what they are doing is pretty positive - time will tell I guess as to whether its all sustainable. I volunteered just after taking up a mooring on the Slough Arm (not residential though) and seemed to have been allocated the Hillingdon stretch of towpath (there is a lot of towpath in Hillingdon!!). Watch this space to see how I/we do.

so is it all what was expected and planned, or 'scaled down' because of other national events do we think? I don't think it should be scaled down!

What exactly IS happening at these 'celebrations'? Do we have..oh I don't know...historic boat flotillas for example, or anything interesting like that?

Edited by Ally

so is it all what was expected and planned, or 'scaled down' because of other national events do we think? I don't think it should be scaled down!

What exactly IS happening at these 'celebrations'? Do we have..oh I don't know...historic boat flotillas for example, or anything interesting like that?

A flotilla you say...could Fearne Cotton do the commentary?

So...so far it sounds like just small local 'launches' of CaRT, correct? No big national celebrations?

This would seem to be the case, in our patch (West Midlands) we are having a few interesting boats arouns Deep Cutting Jcn where ribbon will be cut and then a small do at the ikon Gallery nearby.

If Fearne Cotton turns up we'll do a keel hauling demonstartion with her :banghead:

Now that would be good as it would make it interesting for the majority of the population.

Indeed, I can just hear it now...

"and we will leave the boats to go down those boat step thingies, you know, where they go downhill....and head over to Hackney Market where the Diversity Council have arranged a fun day with CART pulling races and Miss Robeen Evanzu from Latvia has produced some magnificent drop scones."