buying a mooring....

crosser

Featured Posts

im looking to buy a mooring bankside with a little patch of land to put a shed and somewhere to sit in the summer...looked everywhere on the internet and mags but no luck...do such things exist????

im looking to buy a mooring bankside with a little patch of land to put a shed and somewhere to sit in the summer...looked everywhere on the internet and mags but no luck...do such things exist????

Yes they do exist but they are very rare and they usually sell by word-of-mouth without ever being advertised. I did see one that was advertised every months for about a year. It was being offered at a VERY high price - the story was that the guy would have to split the proceeds with his ex and would then have no mooring, so was determined not to sell it although he had to be seen to be trying.

We bought our mooring (with a plot 80 feet square) 5 years ago after 10 years of trying, and it was only because we knew the original owners of the field that we heard about it in time. Nearly every day someone calls out on the way past to ask if I'd consider selling it. And before you ask - No

Allan

This sort of thing can be related to old working boats, I suppose...

Probaby was very popular years ago, when nobody wanted such a thing, but once it started getting popular, and land was snaffled up it was getting harder and harder to find a place. Everybody which has some land will be very relucant to let go of it.

thanks for the info... atleast i now know they are out there... i will keep my eyes peeled and ears open... ive just took a subscription to towpath paper.... just out of curiosity what is your mooring worth? just to give me an idea of rough i will be looking at... any idea of the best area to be hunting around as were not really to fussed where we buy as we will be cruising most of the year....

cheers

dave and mandy

This may give you a rough idea ....

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F57787/

Yep! As I said, our plot at Stoke Hammond is just 80ftx80ft, and I've been offered more than that on at least a couple of occasions even though people know I don't want to sell it (and at least half a dozen people have asked to be on the waiting list for if I ever do want to sell).

I did hear of one of those nice plots on the Barby straight south of Rugby being available for nearer £40k last summer - but I don't know if it did actually sell or at what price.

You can do some quick maths too. A marina mooring costs anything up to £2.5k per annum (and rising); it's cheaper to pay a £30k mortgage on some land, and you've still got the land to sell when you want to move on.

Allan

Christ! :help:

Why the exclamation!

I don't find this plot expensive at all. £30,000 isn't much. The ad doesn't give the area but refers to it only to as "large" whilst having an 80' length of river bank. Assuming that it has some depth it's perfectly reasonably priced. Don't forget it isn't just about a mooring, it sounds like a nice piece of land with much wider appeal than merely to boaters seeking a mooring. Non boaters might like it too for fishing or whatever.

regards

Steve

If anyone wants to club together in the SW, then I could be interested !

As far as the London area is concerned, cos I live here, I'd be interested in setting up a co-operative marina. An idea that's been festering in my mind since I became interested in canalling last year. I'm talking serious business and serious money here, a quality marina of the sort that BW are promoting in their literature for prospective marina operators.

A group of us could get together, raise the £1-2m or whatever it costs - I haven't yet looked into total costs - to develop a new marina. Unlike a commercially operated business though, my angle would be that moorers buy a slot in the marina instead of the usual approach of renting it. Say you had 100 berths and it costs £2m, that works out at £20,000 each for a permanent berth, the money being raised in advance by selling the berths. These owned berths could then be sold on to others in future so the cost is not lost and may actually increase in value over time. These figures are not actual, just an illustration from my mind of how it might work.

There would still have to be a regular service charge to cover marina running costs of course but nevertheless people would have the satisfaction of actually owning their own berth in perpetuity or on a long lease, and that ownership can always be placed on the market for sale if desired.

I haven't gone into a detailed feasibility study yet because I don't know if there would be sufficient demand from people for this idea. We wouldn't need the full amount of money to get it off the ground, it would be sufficient if a reasonably small number were prepared to put up this sort of cash to get it going, subsequently marketing the idea to the boating community in general. It's actually a great deal of work to run a project like this, even finding a suitable location and getting planning permission etc can be quite a struggle.

I envisage that founder members would have special privileges drafted into the agreement such as a discount on their own berth cost plus a commission on future berth sales/service charges for example.

regards

Steve

steve that sounds a great idea... as to being able to sell the berths i think you would be surprised how quick they would be snapped up.... i for one would be up for it... like you said the only problem would be the land and planning permission but if you can get bw on your side it would make things alot easier...

Hi Steve,

I'd be very interested in the idea.

Rgds

Les

As far as the London area is concerned, cos I live here, I'd be interested in setting up a co-operative marina. An idea that's been festering in my mind since I became interested in canalling last year. I'm talking serious business and serious money here, a quality marina of the sort that BW are promoting in their literature for prospective marina operators.

A group of us could get together, raise the £1-2m or whatever it costs - I haven't yet looked into total costs - to develop a new marina. Unlike a commercially operated business though, my angle would be that moorers buy a slot in the marina instead of the usual approach of renting it. Say you had 100 berths and it costs £2m, that works out at £20,000 each for a permanent berth, the money being raised in advance by selling the berths. These owned berths could then be sold on to others in future so the cost is not lost and may actually increase in value over time. These figures are not actual, just an illustration from my mind of how it might work.

There would still have to be a regular service charge to cover marina running costs of course but nevertheless people would have the satisfaction of actually owning their own berth in perpetuity or on a long lease, and that ownership can always be placed on the market for sale if desired.

I haven't gone into a detailed feasibility study yet because I don't know if there would be sufficient demand from people for this idea. We wouldn't need the full amount of money to get it off the ground, it would be sufficient if a reasonably small number were prepared to put up this sort of cash to get it going, subsequently marketing the idea to the boating community in general. It's actually a great deal of work to run a project like this, even finding a suitable location and getting planning permission etc can be quite a struggle.

I envisage that founder members would have special privileges drafted into the agreement such as a discount on their own berth cost plus a commission on future berth sales/service charges for example.

regards

Steve

There is a yacht basin in Grimsby that operates on a similar basis. Mooring rates are low, and there are cheap facilities for members (travelhoist, clubhouse etc.).

When a member joins, they pay in a deposit, when they leave, they get it back. I think the deposit is in the region of several thousand.

A 100 berth marina in the London area, built for £2M. Hmmmmm

Hello dor

As I said the figure was purely illustrative for the sake of floating the general idea. It might be a lot more than £2m/£20,000 each as you suggest. Clearly the individual berth price would depend upon the total cost of the project and the number of berths provided. I simply don't know at this stage, I just wanted to see if there was any interest here in the concept. Whatever the figure, it will obviously be a pretty substantial sum per person and we'd need a seed number of say 20 people to get it going. The question is whether there are enough people around with this sort of money and committment because the founder investors would be taking some risks as there will almost certainly be problems with the scheme as it progresses. There always are with construction projects. That's why founder members would require privileges over the those sold to the general boating public once the project is certain and in the process of construction.

Incidentally when I said the "London area", this covers a wide spectrum of possibilities including places within, say, 25m of central London and land prices vary a lot. I haven't yet looked at detailed costings because I am not certain that I could get together enough people to make it feasible. I don't even know if there are any canalside sites available for such development and don't want to waste my time at this stage.

regards

Steve