elecsol batteries

swift1894

Featured Posts

What's the latest on Elecsol batteries these days.

They are sealed units now. I remember good and bad reports in the past.

Mine are now approaching the end of their 5 year guarantee period (which I have read in the past "isn't worth the paper it's written on"!!!!)

They've been good so far.

Elecsol, like much cheaper batteries, will last several years if they have the right charging regime. Poor charging kills many more batteries than manufacturers' defects. Your guarantee is only for defects and won't cover them failing if due to poor charging - i.e. sulphation. This is why some people think the guarantee is not worth anything - it's because they have killed their batteries and then expect the manufacturer to replace them. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with Elecsols, but the chances are you would have got similar life from a much cheaper set.

Please have a good look at this forum and the www. Put something like "Elecsol complaints" into google.

Mine lasted just over 4 months.

After considerable research I concluded that drinking many pints of beer was better for my health than talking to Elecsol.

Look seriously at Trojans.

...........Dave

If 1 battery in a bank of 4, dies does it drag power from the other 3 and damage them?

ie is it best to disconnect it and just use 3?

Yes, will almost certainly suck their power. Disconnect faulty one

Edited by jelunga

Yes.............................. but of course they will have to 'work' harder to maintain the same usage.

If you can adjust your usage so that you maintain the 'do not discharge below 50% SOC' and recharge them correctly, they will cope.

If 1 battery in a bank of 4, dies does it drag power from the other 3 and damage them?

Yes and no. It depends how it has died.

Some failures can drag the other batteries down. In that case, the failed battery will get warm whilst nothing else is going on. This doesn't "damage" the other batteries any more than normal discharging does.

Some failures will do absolutely nothing other than reduce your total capacity (just like the battery had been removed).

To say a faulty battery will drag the others down is completely wrong.

Some failures can drag the other batteries down. In that case, the failed battery will get warm whilst nothing else is going on. This doesn't "damage" the other batteries any more than normal discharging does.

Some failures will do absolutely nothing other than reduce your total capacity (just like the battery had been removed).

Just to amplify that a little.

A failed cell interlink (biggish chunk of lead inside the battery connecting two cells) will produce an open circuit so it is just as if that battery was not there.

A cell with a short between positive and negative plates will discharges itself so the other batteries try to charge the faulty battery. This will lead to the whole bank becoming discharged so the "good" batteries sulfate and loose capacity.

Please have a good look at this forum and the www. Put something like "Elecsol complaints" into google.

After considerable research I concluded that drinking many pints of beer was better for my health than talking to Elecsol.

...........Dave

[/quotseconded trojan t105

...........Dave

[/quot

seconded trojan t105 :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

OK.

I charged up my 4 x 220 Ah Elecsols (sealed) yesterday, disconnected the terminals and took readings at 4.00pm 13.03, 12.99, 12.58, :glare: 13.03.

This morning 8.00am (16 hours later) the readings had changed to 12.91, 12.56, :mellow:12.09!!! :o 12.95.

So it looks like number 2 is on it's way out and number 3 is knackered.

I thought I'd give number 3 a charge all on it's own with my 80 Amp 3 stage charger to see if it could be revitalised. Any advice/warnings?

OK.

I charged up my 4 x 220 Ah Elecsols (sealed) yesterday, disconnected the terminals and took readings at 4.00pm 13.03, 12.99, 12.58, :glare: 13.03.

This morning 8.00am (16 hours later) the readings had changed to 12.91, 12.56, :mellow:12.09!!! :o 12.95.

So it looks like number 2 is on it's way out and number 3 is knackered.

I thought I'd give number 3 a charge all on it's own with my 80 Amp 3 stage charger to see if it could be revitalised. Any advice/warnings?

I'd agree with you.

You could crack out the sealed lids and take hydrometer readings. Also top up if required.

I'd agree with you.

You could crack out the sealed lids and take hydrometer readings. Also top up if required.

Do they prise off? :huh:

There are no circular, individual cell covers.

I'd have to take off the whole top in one piece, if that's possible

Just started charging.

It was only reading 10.8 before I started.

Immediate reading was 14.5v 11.2 A

but now after only 5 minutes it's

14.58 and 2.4 A (absorption) :wacko:

Edited by swift1894

Do they prise off? :huh:

There are no circular, individual cell covers.

I'd have to take off the whole top in one piece, if that's possible

Ahh right. The ones I've seen still have fillers in, they're just glued in.

Just started charging.

It was only reading 10.8 before I started.

Immediate reading was 14.5v 11.2 A

but now after only 5 minutes it's

14.58 and 2.4 A (absorption) :wacko:

That doesn't sound good. Can you increase the charge voltage on your charger?

Ahh right. The ones I've seen still have fillers in, they're just glued in.

Hmm. Don't think so (Mastervolt 12/80) unless I alter the micro switches (dip switches)

If I switch the "Diode compensation" that adds 0.6v. The "Gel compensation" adds 0.55v during float

Looks like batteries 2 & 3 are knackered but 1 & 4 seem OK :huh:

Is that to give an equalising charge?

Any idea why even though I'm starting to recharge at 10.5 v the charger isn't going into BULK mode,

it's starting with ABSORPTION?