Locks..probably a silly question!

Stevev

Featured Posts

Just about to embark on our 1st canal boat holiday, anticlockwise round a slightly shortened version of the Stourport ring...as the weather predictably turns colder and wetter from Saturday!!

Probably a very silly question concerning locks, but here goes!

The big 'manned' locks going on and off the Severn and indeed on the Severn itself, do you literally loiter in front and wait for the lock keeper to spot you, open the gates and turn the lights green?

When you go onto the Severn via the narrow locks, do the crew tend to jump back on the boat as you pass through the gates and leave them open for the next boat's crew to close them again?

Or are you expected to always close lock gates afterwards and find a suitable place to jump back on the boat? Thinking this might be more difficult as you go onto the Severn?

..........The big 'manned' locks going on and off the Severn and indeed on the Severn itself, do you literally loiter in front and wait for the lock keeper to spot you, open the gates and turn the lights green?...........

Just call up the lockie on your VHF when you are 10 minutes out and he'll either tell you to slow down as there is someone coming in the opposite direction and going into the lock, or, he'll have the lock in your favour and the gates open as you arrive.

You do have a VHF ?

If its a hire-boat then yes - just loiter about until you are noticed.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just about to embark on our 1st canal boat holiday, anticlockwise round a slightly shortened version of the Stourport ring...as the weather predictably turns colder and wetter from Saturday!!

The big 'manned' locks going on and off the Severn and indeed on the Severn itself, do you literally loiter in front and wait for the lock keeper to spot you, open the gates and turn the lights green?

When you go onto the Severn via the narrow locks, do the crew tend to jump back on the boat as you pass through the gates and leave them open for the next boat's crew to close them again?

Or are you expected to always close lock gates afterwards and find a suitable place to jump back on the boat? Thinking this might be more difficult as you go onto the Severn?

There is a place to tie up when you go onto the Severn so that your crew can get back on after closing the lock gates if no ones coming up. It's just on your left as you exit the locks on the river going towards Worcester.

There are lock landings for you to wait on before the manned locks on the Severn if the traffic lights are against you. We found that the lock keepers that we met on this stretch friendly and happy to give advice for first timers in the locks.

I don't remember seeing a lock keeper on the wide locks going from the Severn to Diglis on the W & B. Anyway they are quite straightforward manual locks.

Even though you haven't been on a canal holiday for a long time it will all come back to you, like riding a bike. Enjoy yourselves!

Edited by familyfive

Just call up the lockie on your VHF when you are 10 minutes out and he'll either tell you to slow down as there is someone coming in the opposite direction and going into the lock, or, he'll have the lock in your favour and the gates open as you arrive.

You do have a VHF ?

If its a hire-boat then yes - just loiter about until you are noticed.

Sorry, but I've never found many people using VHF on the river above Worcester, so to the OP don't worry about it. I've always found the lockies will see you coming.

<snip>

I've always found the lockies will see you coming.

In fact it's even better than that. A lockie at one lock will let the next one know you are coming, so they will be looking out for you

Richard

Sorry, but I've never found many people using VHF on the river above Worcester, so to the OP don't worry about it. I've always found the lockies will see you coming.

Well, for the first time ever at Upper Lode, last Monday, the lockie didn't see us! After loitering a while I rang. He was very apologetic, I think a new balance beam obscured his line of sight!

As has been said, no need for VHF, just phone if you need to.

You get phone numbers (and lots more useful stuff) from the waterscape guide Here.

When we went from Stourport down to the Droitwich last summer there did not appear to be any use of VHF on that stretch.

So should there have been, or is it not used that far up, please ?

Unless another boat is waiting to come into the locks it is normal to close the gates. If you stop the boat just outside the lower gates there are steps built into the stonework to enable your crew to get back on after they shut the gates. The lock keepers on the Severn are very good at spotting oncoming boats, but you may have to wait if boats are coming up. When entering the lock the keeper will invite you to hold onto the cables/chains provided so have someone ready on the bow. No ropes are required. Don't forget to have your anchor ready for use whilst on the river. Enjoy your trip.

Ian

Edited by Flyboy

When entering the lock the keeper will invite you to hold onto the chains provided so have someone ready on the bow. No ropes are required.

That's not our experience.

We have been asked to put ropes behind the risers in the lock sides.

Like this.....

IMG_0045.jpg

Our experience from Tewkesbury to Stourport earlier this year was that ropes were not required nor advocated - just to hold onto the steel cables. Maybe different if 2 boats in a lock? (we were always alone). Lockie will tell you which side of the lock to come alongside since the paddles seem to be one-sided and so push the boat to one side.

When we went from Stourport down to the Droitwich last summer there did not appear to be any use of VHF on that stretch.

So should there have been, or is it not used that far up, please ?

When we went up to Stourport a few weeks ago, there were VHF antennae on the lock keepers' "offices". Didn't have the VHF on board, so didn't test if they were in use.

Iain

Like this.....

IMG_0045.jpg

I suppose it depends on the individual lock keeper, the bottom line is do as he/she requests. I've seen yoghurt pots using short boat hooks to hang on to the risers. Obviously if your boat length is not convenient to line up with the risers, a rope should be used.

Ian

Chains and risers are the same thing but as you are going down the locks are gentle. When entering the locks at Worcester to leave the river turn the boat round and stem the current if there is a strong flow. There are no brakes on a boat and it takes three times it's own length to stop. Always have somebody with the steerer to help concentration

Well, for the first time ever at Upper Lode, last Monday, the lockie didn't see us! After loitering a while I rang. He was very apologetic, I think a new balance beam obscured his line of sight!

That's funny - the same thing happened to us on Sunday.

Two cruisers overtook us between Lower Lode and the lock at Upper Lode, and were 100yds or so in front of us, so we were very surprised to get into the lock cut and get a red light as it's a big lock and would have taken all three boats with space to spare.

Sat there for fifteen minutes or so, and then phoned up.

The lockie was very apologetic even though I told him we were not in a hurry and not bothered by a few minutes delay.

He said he didn't have cameras, so couldn't see boats waiting in the lock cut, and that the cruisers had told him that there was no-one behind them.

I agree he can't see whats in the lock cut, but I always thought the lockie had line of sight down the river from the hut.

Very strange.

Obviously if your boat length is not convenient to line up with the risers, a rope should be used.

Yes,

Clearly if the lock-keeper wants it held at the front and the back, and your decks don't line up with the risers, the only safe way would be to have a rope at at least one end.

All I can say is that if you are used to just holding the risers, (and I appreciate these locks are mild, and that's OK if that's all you are asked to do), don't be tempted to do the same if you are locking out on to the Thames through Limehouse lock.

When I have been holding the line there, the lock-keepers have insisted that both ends are tied back to a dolly. Good advice, giving how fast they can crack the gates open - if just holding the rope, I'm not sure you would be for very long!

As has been said, no need for VHF, just phone if you need to.

You get phone numbers (and lots more useful stuff) from the waterscape guide Here.

Hmmm. I did actually say "above Worcester", and I don't think Upper Lode is that!! :glare:

Hmmm. I did actually say "above Worcester", and I don't think Upper Lode is that!! :glare:

All the lock keepers on the Severn listen on VHF channel 74, but personally I've only ever used it for Gloucester lock, where it's useful to be able to hear other traffic.