Let The Silly Season Begin

Doorman

Featured Posts

Hang them long.

Hang them high.

Then hang them again

Or you, Mr insanity, could get a life and imagine if your slightest bit of stepping away from an anally conceived more was held to ridicule in public.

Silly season indeed. The continuous moaners are truly out in force.

• Greenie 1

But it's not just hirers of course. We've just passed Bendithion moored on the water point by the A45 bridge here in Braunston. Clearly been there overnight, despite explicit signage. We know it wasn't desperation for a mooring, because they were tied in front of us on the N Ox earlier in the day. If they were desperate for water they could have used the one at the service block at the Turn and then again had no problem finding mooring further on.

Boat is covered in fish symbols and BCF stickers, so maybe their god told them it would be OK.

frusty.gif

Fortunately, the Stop House water point was free (it's half seven, so not surprised) so we are able to get water anyway.

I really do not understand the problem!!!! They had an overnight mooring and you managed to get water

Hang them long.

Hang them high.

Then hang them again

Or you, Mr insanity, could get a life and imagine if your slightest bit of stepping away from an anally conceived more was held to ridicule in public.

Silly season indeed. The continuous moaners are truly out in force.

Well said that man

What is this with naming boats?

I see that stating that a boat is at a place and 'doing something wrong', 'unusual' 'dangerous', perhaps has a point because it is the act that is worthy (perhaps) of discussion because those not aware can learn from it (simplified list of benefits of debate)

But naming a boat smacks of something else that strays into finger pointing, 'ganging up' or the beginnings of persecution

I don't like it - it makes me feel distinctly uneasy

I see that stating that a boat is at a place and 'doing something wrong', 'unusual' 'dangerous', perhaps has a point because it is the act that is worthy (perhaps) of discussion because those not aware can learn from it (simplified list of benefits of debate)

But naming a boat smacks of something else that strays into finger pointing, 'ganging up' or the beginnings of persecution

I have to agree very bad practice. Quite a few people come onto the canals because they want an anonymous life..........I have also noticed that some of the people that seem to be happy to name and shame (in their opinion) give minimum information about themselves!!!

And, in this case, the boat will probably have a completely different crew, this week.

If nothing else, it's a pretty nasty form of gossip

Richard

At points where a boat is filling and crew are inside/ not there I often check the tap is on full and if it isn't make it so. Often this fills the tank in no time.

Sharp words would be had if you done that to my boat, there's a reason I run the tap at half speed.

At points where a boat is filling and crew are inside/ not there I often check the tap is on full and if it isn't make it so. Often this fills the tank in no time.

If you did that with mine the hose would come out and I would be very pissed off and would make a point of slowing right down just to keep you waiting even longer.

I really do not understand the problem!!!! They had an overnight mooring and you managed to get water

Well said that man

I agree I was exceptionally grumpy this morning, and I've removed the post.

Naming and shaming is probably a dodgy practice since many boats have multiple owners and it would not do to tar all the owners with the same brush (one reason why I would hate to have a shared ownership boat!). For boats that are clearly hire boats, maybe it is fairer because it rightly reflects on the trouble the hire company takes to ensure its hirers are properly trained.

However I think it would be a shame if the attitude portrayed by some posters on this thread were to become more widespread. Mooring one's boat unattended at a water point, filling deliberately slowly to allow time for lunch, mooring on lock landings etc are all practices to be discouraged. The system is overcrowded in places and selfish behaviour like this only makes things worse for everyone. To be accepting of these practices is likely to result in them becoming more widespread, whereas condemning them might help to make the practice less "socially acceptable".

I suppose that if you spend your boating life moored in a linear housing estate, maybe you don't care too much, but in reality the system is designed for travelling and everyone needs to play their part in easing progress for others.

If you did that with mine the hose would come out and ...

Maybe you should arrange the hose so that it doesn't come out with the tap fully on? We manage it.

I would be very pissed off and would make a point of slowing right down just to keep you waiting even longer

Are you always that childish?

If you did that with mine the hose would come out and I would be very pissed off and would make a point of slowing right down just to keep you waiting even longer.

For some reason my tank doesn't have a vent so it just blows back out, right pain in the arse

Why is it that some boaters are so concerned about what other boaters do? maybe some of you need to get a life.............I am in Gargrave at present (moorings places at a premium) 1 boat (non hire boat) is moored in the Winding Hole and one boat (hire boat) is moored on the Water Point, does it effect me NO. Should I need to turn I would simply ask the boater politely to move while i turn. Should I need water I will simply breast up on the boat on the water point. What I expect is that within the next couple of hours both boats will move not having harmed anyone except those boaters that just feel the need to moan and complain!!!

Well said, on a scale of 1-10 these things are about 0.2. But then I always feel we take life a touch less seriously on the L&LC. I actually can't recall ever seeing anyone moored on a watering point on this canal if they weren't actually watering-up.

For some reason my tank doesn't have a vent so it just blows back out, right pain in the arse

Once the water filler is secured again (I'm assuming its fairly well secured, eg more/less airtight) does your water pump send water to the taps, at the same time pulling so hard that instead of air replacing the water removed from the tank, it pulls a vacuum, or the tank collapses (then reshapes) when filled again? Mind you, if it did that then the pipe wouldn't blow out during filling either.

I suspect it DOES have a vent, just a small one. And even so, unless the hose pipe is exactly the same size as the filler, there is additional venting during filling.

Basically, something doesn't add up right with your description, and/or boat's water supply installation.

Naming and shaming is probably a dodgy practice since many boats have multiple owners and it would not do to tar all the owners with the same brush (one reason why I would hate to have a shared ownership boat!). For boats that are clearly hire boats, maybe it is fairer because it rightly reflects on the trouble the hire company takes to ensure its hirers are properly trained.

However I think it would be a shame if the attitude portrayed by some posters on this thread were to become more widespread. Mooring one's boat unattended at a water point, filling deliberately slowly to allow time for lunch, mooring on lock landings etc are all practices to be discouraged. The system is overcrowded in places and selfish behaviour like this only makes things worse for everyone. To be accepting of these practices is likely to result in them becoming more widespread, whereas condemning them might help to make the practice less "socially acceptable".

Thank you, sir, that makes me feel a bit better, though I fully accept that my post was inappropriately tetchy and naming the boat in question was uncalled for, given that we were indeed able to get water at another point.

I've since spoken to the crew of said boat (they beat us to the service point in the marina whilst we were watering) and we are reconciled.

Mind you, it got me my first monstering by Mr Pink, one more step towards feeling that I'm a fully fledged member of this community.

wink.gif

I'll say no more on this topic, I promise.

All credit to you for your reconsideration.

No-one ever considers anti social behaviour acceptable but my experience is it rare enough anyway and even rarer once some understanding is factored in.

I don't consider mooring on a water point selfish if 1. you are moving on early in the morning and 2. it's possible for someone to moor alongside if they need water.

I have never seem anyone fill their tank slowly so as to have lunch. That's um never.

No-one ever considers anti social behaviour acceptable but my experience is it rare enough anyway and even rarer once some understanding is factored in.

I don't consider mooring on a water point selfish if 1. you are moving on early in the morning and 2. it's possible for someone to moor alongside if they need water.

I have never seem anyone fill their tank slowly so as to have lunch. That's um never.

While I have found some connected up with end in filler but turned off or on trickle. In which case I assumethey forgot and help them out.

My feeling is that tolerating this laissez faire attitude is OK up to a point but as rules like these are never policed as such, except by pressure from other members of the community, if left unchallenged it will eventually become the norm. There is no reason why one should be forced to clamber over another boat to get your water and there is always the consideration of someone getting aggressive about you climbing across their boat even if you are in the right or claiming that you have damaged their boat in the process. The old saying of 'give them an inch and they'll take a mile' has some relevance here IMO. However, if it is very late in the evening and no other boat is conceivably going to want water and you are prepared to move off early next morning then I see no reason why a water point should not be used under those particular circumstances.

More controversial than filling a tank slowly to extend the time on a water point, we have observed two youth boats moor on the water points at Great Haywood Junction, the skippers then ran out the water hoses but didn't turn the taps on at all so that the whole group could walk off to the nearest pub for the evening. They spent the whole evening away will no filling going on whatsoever.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Maybe you should arrange the hose so that it doesn't come out with the tap fully on? We manage it.

Why should I do that, it does not bother me?

Are you always that childish?

only when someone decides they can just go around interfering with how I do things on my boat.

I don't consider mooring on a water point selfish if 1. you are moving on early in the morning and

I am inclined to agree if it really is from late at night to early in the morning, trouble is "give 'em an inch and they will take a mile" ie it is a matter of definition of late and early.

2. it's possible for someone to moor alongside if they need water.

I don't have a problem with mooring alongside, the trouble is that some people do. Therefore those wanting water are put in a position of having to risk wrath or worse to get water, and with boating supposed to be relaxing and stress free, would tend to not want to risk it unless the offending boat had a "moor alongside" sign.

Why should I do that, it does not bother me?

only when someone decides they can just go around interfering with how I do things on my boat.

It clearly doesn't bother you but might inconvenience others, though I agree on a relatively small scale. That makes you selfish, albeit on a relatively small scale.

How would you react to a boat moored up unattended in a narrow lock that you wanted to pass through? You might decide it was reasonable to move it, you would certainly be annoyed if you had any sort of schedule to keep. So the difference between hogging a water point and blocking navigation, and the actions of those inconvenienced, varies only in the degree not the principle.