Route from Worcester to London

Gerkin6000

Featured Posts

Hello everyone!

We're very excited, about to buy a barge in Worcester and need to get it back to London...

Its a 70x10' wide beam with a wheel house that's about 7'4" high. Apparently there's one bridge we'll probably have to invite lots of people onboard to weigh us down. Wondered if anyone has any thoughts/experience on the route to London? Is there anything we need to know about the route? We know there's the possibility of having to go down the Severn if the Thames and Severn canal is closed, is traveling down the Severn tricky?

Thanks in advance :)

I hope you have done your homework, The Thames and Seven has not been restored yet and this journey will take you down the Seven estuary.

Even if it had been restored, it was 'wide' only from Saul to Brimscombe.

So yes, OP is going to have to go via the Severn estuary and then K&A or else overland

UsingCanalplanaC, your boat dimensions and changing the defaults to find a route gave this (Ichose Battersea Power Station as you did not say where in London) :

This is calculated based on 15 full days travelling starting at Worcester.

On average each full day will be approximately 6 hours and 53 minutes travelling but some overnight stops have been moved to avoid unsuitable stopping places and this has affected the lengths of the days.

First day of trip On the River Severn (main river), at Ashleworth (just past Ashleworth ). This is 24 miles, 5 furlongs and 2 locks and will take 6 hours 53 minutes.

Second day of trip On the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal, at Patch Bridge (just past Patch Bridge ). This is 16 miles, 4½ furlongs and 1 lock and will take 6 hours 54 minutes.

Third day of trip On the River Avon - Bristol, at Avonmouth Docks (to avoid stopping on tidal waters) (half way between Avonmouth and Clifton Suspension Bridge). This is 27 miles, 2½ furlongs and 1 lock and will take 7 hours 59 minutes.

Fourth day of trip On the River Avon - Bristol, at Saltford Lock No 4 (two thirds of the way between Bristol - Bush Corner and Bath Old Bridge). This is 15 miles, 7½ furlongs and 5 locks and will take 5 hours 48 minutes.

Fifth day of trip On the Kennet and Avon Canal (Main Line), at Freshford Bridge No 174 . This is 14 miles, 2¾ furlongs and 9 locks and will take 6 hours 54 minutes.

Sixth day of trip On the Kennet and Avon Canal (Main Line), at Devizes Bottom Lock No 22 (to avoid stopping in a flight of locks) (just past Devizes Bottom Lock No 22 ). This is 12 miles, 4¼ furlongs and 8 locks and will take 6 hours 28 minutes.

Seventh day of trip On the Kennet and Avon Canal (Main Line), at Allington Bridge No 130 . This is 7 miles, 1¾ furlongs and 29 locks and will take 7 hours 19 minutes.

Eighth day of trip On the Kennet and Avon Canal (Main Line), at Crofton Lock No 61 . This is 13 miles, 3¾ furlongs and 10 locks and will take 6 hours 54 minutes.

Ninth day of trip On the Kennet and Avon Canal (Main Line), at Brunsden Lock No 77 (nearly at Kintbury Bridge No 75). This is 8 miles, 5¾ furlongs and 16 locks and will take 6 hours 53 minutes.

Tenth day of trip On the River Kennet, at Monkey Marsh Lock No 90 (half way between Newbury Wharf and Aldermaston Arm). This is 10 miles, 4½ furlongs and 13 locks and will take 6 hours 54 minutes.

Eleventh day of trip On the River Kennet, at Garston Lock No 102 (nearly at Burghfield Bridge No 14). This is 9 miles, 6¼ furlongs and 11 locks and will take 6 hours 53 minutes.

Twelfth day of trip On the River Thames (below Oxford), at Temple Island (two thirds of the way between Henley Bridge and Medmenham Abbey). This is 15 miles, 7¾ furlongs and 9 locks and will take 6 hours 54 minutes.

Thirteenth day of trip On the River Thames (below Oxford), at Boveney Lock Weir Exit (a third of the way between Racecourse Yacht Basin Entrance and Magna Carta Island). This is 17 miles, 5¼ furlongs and 8 locks and will take 6 hours 54 minutes.

Fourteenth day of trip On the River Thames (below Oxford), at Sunbury Lock (two thirds of the way between River House Gardens and Hampton Court Bridge). This is 18 miles, 5¼ furlongs and 7 locks and will take 6 hours 53 minutes.

Fifteenth day of trip On the River Thames (tidal section), at Battersea Power Station . This is 22 miles, 4¾ furlongs and 5 locks and will take 6 hours 54 minutes.

Edit: to make it clearer, not sure I did.:lol:

Edited by bottle

Just to add, I think you need to do a lot of research.

The Severn to Gloucester is not too bad, the Gloucester to Sharpness canal will be OK but you will definitely need a pilot from Sharpness to Bristol.

There could be long delay there (Sharpness) for the right weather window.

Those with knowledge of the Kennet and Avon canal will advise on the difficulties of such a large vessel on that canal.

Pedant mode on:

STROUDWATER NAVIGATION Nominal Lock Dimensions 70ft x 15ft 6in

THAMES AND SEVERN CANAL Nominal Lock Dimensions

Wallbridge to Bourne Lock 74ft x 15ft 6in

Bourne Lock 90ft x 16ft 1in

Beales Lock to Inglesham 90ft x 12ft 9in

Pedant mode off

in a decades' time.

Oh! I do wish you are right but I doubt it. :cheers:

Service the engine, carry spare hoses ans fan belts, Clean the bottom of the fuel tank either by a drain cock or I used to use a thin plastic pipe and a wet vac. Wait for a neap tide, wait for the floods on the Severn to go down. You will have to hire a pilot (cost us £100) to take you from Sharpness to Portishead (cost to enter the dock)then you take yourself from Portishead to Bristol(cost to moor in Bristol harbour) on the incoming tide next day. After that no problems if the rivers stay at low to normal levels. Going through the centre of Reading is a bit hairy with the river pushing you and there is a nasty bridge on a bend so make sure you have air-draft to get through. Is you 7ft 4 inch wheelhouse from water level? But all in all if you set yourself up right is is a lovely journey.

Service the engine, carry spare hoses ans fan belts, Clean the bottom of the fuel tank either by a drain cock or I used to use a thin plastic pipe and a wet vac. Wait for a neap tide, wait for the floods on the Severn to go down. You will have to hire a pilot (cost us £100) to take you from Sharpness to Portishead (cost to enter the dock)then you take yourself from Portishead to Bristol(cost to moor in Bristol harbour) on the incoming tide next day. After that no problems if the rivers stay at low to normal levels. Going through the centre of Reading is a bit hairy with the river pushing you and there is a nasty bridge on a bend so make sure you have air-draft to get through. Is you 7ft 4 inch wheelhouse from water level? But all in all if you set yourself up right is is a lovely journey.

Sound advice - also check that your insurance covers use on tidal waters. Many policies don't.

The Thames & Severn locks are 12.7 x 90ft, so the OP would be able to go that route - in a decades' time... maybe? ;)

Oops, thanks for that. I was trusting to memory, and knew it got narrower at Brimscombe, but as you say 12'.

Could be a long time coming though!

Thanks everyone, that's all really helpful.

Plan B would be to get it towed most of the way to London, so if anyone has any recommendations would love to hear them. We know its a mission of a journey to get back via the canals so just getting as much info as poss at the mo... :)

Plan B would be to get it towed most of the way to London, so if anyone has any recommendations would love to hear them. We know its a mission of a journey to get back via the canals so just getting as much info as poss at the mo... :)

Do you mean 'Tow' from another boat . . .

or 'Tow' on a wagon & trailer?

Just out of curiosity, where exactly in London are you headed? You got a mooring sorted?

I agree with the others on here that putting it on a lorry would be better than trying to go by water. The Severn is not for the faint hearted and a pilot is essential.

D

Have you got the time to move it by water? It would be a lovely summer journey In the past we have "Tramped"our boat using trains buses bikes and cars to move every weekend. The best method is to work out where you will be on Sunday night, leave your car or book your return train from there, arrive at the boat Friday night move for two days then moor up for the week. We used locks and chains onto arnco barriers where we could as mooring pins pull out very easily. your barge will weigh up to 40 tonnes. Where are you planning to moor in London? and how many friends can you blag into helping you. Play with the boat on the Severn and the Gloucester Sharpness canal. before you decide how to move it. I may be able to help crew.

Does Canalplan really suggest stopping overnight at Avonmouth Docks or "half way between Avonmouth and Clifton Suspension Bridge"? The overnight stopping place here for most vessels will be Portishead Marina, surely?

it's a bit odd with all its stopping points along the Kennet and Avon too.

although Avonmouth docks as an alternative to Portishead is an interesting idea. There's also the buoy at Pill depending on the state of the tide when you arrive at Avonmouth.

The pilot will advise

Edited by Chris Pink

Does Canalplan really suggest stopping overnight at Avonmouth Docks or "half way between Avonmouth and Clifton Suspension Bridge"? The overnight stopping place here for most vessels will be Portishead Marina, surely?

It probably doesn't know that you can. If someone who seriously knows the tidal Severn and the Bristol Avon would like to volunteer to update the information to make it more "acceptable" then I'm sure Nick would be more than happy.

Steve

Edited by StephenA

although Avonmouth docks as an alternative to Portishead is an interesting idea. There's also the buoy at Pill depending on the state of the tide when you arrive at Avonmouth.

The pilot will advise

The pilot will want to get off the boat and get back home for his tea, so I don't think he'd be happy to suggest mooring overnight on the buoy at Pill!

It probably doesn't know that you can. If someone who seriously knows the tidal Severn and the Bristol Avon would like to volunteer to update the information to make it more "acceptable" then I'm sure Nick would be more than happy.

I have made the journey as a crew member but I don't know enough about it to offer any useful information. I was under the impression that Avonmouth Docks are available only to serious shipping and, apart from the buoy that Chris mentioned, I don't think stopping anywhere between Portishead and Cumberland Lock is possible.

it's a bit odd with all its stopping points along the Kennet and Avon too.

Odd in what way? It bases its stopping points on the total number of hours divided by the number of days then works out the place nearest to where it thinks you will be after x hours of cruising each day and then tweaks it slightly.

Steve

Ok, so we're looking into hiring someone to drive it from worcester via the Severn towards London, and then we'll take over.

OR

Get it towed on a trailer to Oxford or Reading then get it put back in the water there and head to London.... Cranes seem to be very expensive as the boat is around 35 tonnes