Low-life boater

lydfordcastle

Featured Posts

Hopefully the forum can help me find the low-life boater who, when passing my boat moored on the offside at Colehurst Farm (next to Les Wilson) on the North Oxford just north of Brinklow helped himself (or herself) to the array of solar panels on the roof. The set up is quite distinctive with a very 'home-made' look about it and consists of three 11 watt panels each 500 mm x 300 mm connected in parallel and set long side by long side in a 50 mm square softwood frame with two 25 mm square stainless steel shelf brackets, one at each end, to produce the correct angle for maximum solar collection. The softwood frame wasn't painted (that was to be the next job) and the whole caboodle measures about 1000 mm x 600 mm x 50 mm thick. The way the connecting cable was left dangling over the water side indicates that the panels went boating rather than walking so if you pass a boat with a small array like I've described on the roof, just let me know. The panels were there last weekend but gone today.

first let me say Iam sorry you have been robbed,a lousy thing to happen.

Have you any photos of your missing panel set up you could post on here to help folks look out for them?

I have some panels to set up but have been worried about theft and vandalism so have not decided how to go about it yet.

Have you any photos of your missing panel set up you could post on here to help folks look out for them?

Unfortunately not. The set-up had only just been put together to test out (it worked a treat) and I like to think I would have photographed it once it was painted

Hopefully the forum can help me find the low-life boater who, when passing my boat moored on the offside at Colehurst Farm (next to Les Wilson) on the North Oxford just north of Brinklow helped himself (or herself) to the array of solar panels on the roof. The set up is quite distinctive with a very 'home-made' look about it and consists of three 11 watt panels each 500 mm x 300 mm connected in parallel and set long side by long side in a 50 mm square softwood frame with two 25 mm square stainless steel shelf brackets, one at each end, to produce the correct angle for maximum solar collection. The softwood frame wasn't painted (that was to be the next job) and the whole caboodle measures about 1000 mm x 600 mm x 50 mm thick. The way the connecting cable was left dangling over the water side indicates that the panels went boating rather than walking so if you pass a boat with a small array like I've described on the roof, just let me know. The panels were there last weekend but gone today.

What a load of scum bags we live amongst,, and if it was another boater,,how can they do it to a fellow boater... hope you find who done it....

Low life indeed..so sorry..we had a known tealeaf moor close to us earlier..police are aware and are searching for him..hubby let him know we were aware of his activities and he left sharpish.No clue where his boat is now..possibly Weedon as he has just walked past. I hope you get your panels back.

Hi Lydford

Sorry to hear of your plight. Really unfortunate and most annoying.

It's always going to be difficult with smaller panels, they're just so easy to snatch from a boat roof. If going small Adhesive panels might be better although generally dearer to buy.

I hope the thieving bar stewards armpits get infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.

Low life indeed..so sorry..we had a known tealeaf moor close to us earlier..police are aware and are searching for him..hubby let him know we were aware of his activities and he left sharpish.No clue where his boat is now..possibly Weedon as he has just walked past. I hope you get your panels back.

Was he on foot or by boat.....just came past you today on way beck home...if you could give as a clue to the identity might be able to say where he was!

Cheers

Gareth

Have you checked the bottom of the canal, there were gale force winds last Wednesday.

Panels were wedged under the roof rails so doubtful that even gale force winds could have lifted them. Anyway, they would have floated had they ended up in the cut. The wiring connection had not been cut nor stretched/broken. Wires had been unscrewed from the connector superglued to the back of the panels.

Was he on foot or by boat.....just came past you today on way beck home...if you could give as a clue to the identity might be able to say where he was!

Cheers

Gareth

Very small tatty plastic, not sure what sort , but has a roll of insulation covering the front screen, since I posted he has been caught on someones boat so has probably scarpered. Did see you come past, actually commented at how nice and steady you were going ,

Hi Lydford

Sorry to hear of your plight. Really unfortunate and most annoying.

It's always going to be difficult with smaller panels, they're just so easy to snatch from a boat roof. If going small Adhesive panels might be better although generally dearer to buy.

I hope the thieving bar stewards armpits get infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.

I totally agree, sadly you will always get 'tealeafs' :( oi!! yer nicked one of me spells lol ;) but in this case 'may the fleas also infect their NETHER regions :) I hope with fingers crossed that Lydford you get them back :)

Yes it's horrible when other boaters nick stuff. I had one of my full Calor bottles taken and replaced by one of the other makes -empty of course. Then had to buy a new bottle as prefer Calor. Not impressed. Does leave you feeling a bit rotten.

I'm going to hopefully buy a narrowboat and live on it this year and simply disgusted at the nature of your theft :angry: I say to the person who nicked them if you want something in life then work for it and have pride in your achievement. I would be seriously angry!!

Hope this person is caught!! I think when I buy my boat I'll have to evaluate security. It's such a shame to have to do this for a small number who are intent on thieving.

James

Sorry about your theft a similar thing happened to a friend of mine not so long since but miles from you.

You mention they were there last weekend but gone today so have you been away from your boat for the week?

Please I am not passing judgement but if it is the case how can you be so sure the boat that moored on the off side is somehow linked?

You mention they were there last weekend but gone today so have you been away from your boat for the week?

Please I am not passing judgement but if it is the case how can you be so sure the boat that moored on the off side is somehow linked?

No, you've misunderstood. It's my boat that's moored on the offside. Colehurst Farm is an online offside series of about 12 private moorings which are only accessible by driving across a bridge and through the farmyard. They're not residential although a few boats are occupied most of the time and there's always someone about on the farm or on the moorings including Les Wilson, the boatbuilder with his two crawler cranes, the farmer and many riders who stable thier horses on the farm. All in all a pretty safe spot and anyone who has no business on the moorings will quickly be noticed.

Very small tatty plastic, not sure what sort , but has a roll of insulation covering the front screen, since I posted he has been caught on someones boat so has probably scarpered. Did see you come past, actually commented at how nice and steady you were going ,

Ahh Yes I saw him.....was a couple of miles south of you.....he asked me "are the locks open?" which I thought was a bit odd!!....I said do you mean Stoke Bruene?...he said yes.....thought this a bit odd cos he was nowhere near them!....he was trying to make a fire on towpath.....seemed a bit out of it tbh. Dont think he was going far in the state he was in!

Hope you dont have anymore trouble!

Cheers

Gareth

PS Edited to add:

Ta for saying nice things about my boating! :wub:

Edited by frangar

The bloke on the tatty plastic boat (curly hair and possibly in his 30s - he also has a black lab with him) was at the waterpoint yesterday morning at Stowe Hill - I passed on his details to a few boaters so they are aware of him being around the area, and have also let some people know at Stoke Bruerne that he might be on his way up there so they can keep an eye out for him.

Apparently was moored at Whilton this Saturday and was eyeing up Merlot from Whilton Marina which was left on the towpath and actually said to a boater friend of mine, as there was nobody on board, he might just take the boat!!

As he has come passed Weedon in his plastic boat on Sunday, I assume he had not managed to take Merlot with him luckily for Whilton Marina

From the description of the boat, I recon that it was up on the T&M last north of Great Hayward Sept / Oct, I remember a black roll of insulation clearly, there can't be too many boats like that.

Also IIRC there was a topic on here late last year about that boat. Must have a trawl and see if I can find it

Sorry about your loss

This is the link, is that the boat you saw ?

Here

Hi Guys

I am new on the forum and read this thread with interest.

I have been a boater for many years and (things aint what they used to be)my sorry (PLASTIC BOAT LOL.)is in a secure marina in Bristol and we are getting petrol,kettles,tools etc pinched pathetic so much low life around now.

I would like to add there are more goodens than baddens still so do the same as me still enjoy your boating and anybody on this forum looking to buy there first boat don't let it put you off. IT IS A GREAT LIFE STILL.

Norman :cheers:

Sure is a great life, and there are many lovely people I have met since I've been on "the cut" many moons ago. Unfortunately, as with all parts of life, there are some that think they can spoil it for the rest of us, that is why hopefully making sure the ones that think they can take from others are kept off the canals/rivers so we can all enjoy it without having to look over our shoulders