It looks like a wasp!

Gary Peacock

Featured Posts

Maybe they're watford fans.......

I looked at a second hand boat a while ago and it was painted a really vivid sky blue and yellow, the chap said it was his football team colours lol

Lesd

pilgrim8.jpg

pilgrim9.jpg

Definitely a bit different but surprising how many people have said they like it.

The interior is going to be equally radical anybody else fancy silver walls?

I LOVE the yellow

but have to say - silver walls always sound like a great idea, but always look grey!

:huh: what is the world coming to!

Silver walls sound intrigueing.... Is this boat being built by an ex-wife for her ex-husband for a settlement?

:P

Edited by Bones

Definitely a bit different but surprising how many people have said they like it.

The interior is going to be equally radical anybody else fancy silver walls?

Sorry, it's still a big "NO" from me Gary.

As I said before, one thing on 1970s British Telecom vans, but I'm certainly not a fan on canal boats.

But then I don't much like wasps either, come to think of it.....

Each to their own, I guess.

Sorry, it's still a big "NO" from me Gary.

As I said before, one thing on 1970s British Telecom vans, but I'm certainly not a fan on canal boats.

But then I don't much like wasps either, come to think of it.....

Each to their own, I guess.

Were they not 'Post Office Telephones' then???

I have a friend who used to have a cream and red narrow boat which looked pretty good actually, but I used to say it was yellow!! He once insisted that I sing 'Yellow Submarine' at a Karaoke doo. His boat never sank, though.

:huh:

I like variety on the canal, it brightens things up.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

Absolutely, but getting on the canal is proving a bit difficult to some of us. :huh:

Hi Maffi

At least your boat is on its way, still can't sell this house and if we do then our build slot is not till next spring. :P

Hope your problems get sorted soon. ;)

I've never realy been a fan of dutch barges...so I thought! then I saw one at Sawley marina that was a thing of true beauty, blue hull and cream cabin sides exactly like the one on Gary's "how to build a barge" pages, obviously I didn't know what a dutch barge was, what I'd seen in the past were boxy cruiser style wide beams, like very large floating biscuit tins. The one I saw at Sawley was elegant and gorgeous. If I was having a boat built I would def go to Ledgard bridge for a serious conversation. Not sure about the yellow tho' supposed to be the colour favoured by schizophrenics!!!! I would have Ferrari red.

TaTa

Ally p.

I've never realy been a fan of dutch barges...so I thought! then I saw one at Sawley marina that was a thing of true beauty, blue hull and cream cabin sides exactly like the one on Gary's "how to build a barge" pages, obviously I didn't know what a dutch barge was, what I'd seen in the past were boxy cruiser style wide beams, like very large floating biscuit tins. The one I saw at Sawley was elegant and gorgeous. If I was having a boat built I would def go to Ledgard bridge for a serious conversation. Not sure about the yellow tho' supposed to be the colour favoured by schizophrenics!!!! I would have Ferrari red.

TaTa

Ally p.

A true dutch barge replica is a thing of beauty - but we shouldn't confuse them with widebeams or with Ledgard's barge-type design. They all have their merits, but if I could afford it I would have gone for a kit-built dutch barge like Elessina (see the dutch barge website). As it is I settled for one of Ally's biscuit tins. :huh:

Edited by chris polley

A true dutch barge replica is a thing of beauty - but we shouldn't confuse them with widebeams or with Ledgard's barge-type design. They all have their merits, but if I could afford it I would have gone for a kit-built dutch barge like Elessina (see the dutch barge website). As it is I settled for one of Ally's biscuit tins. :P

On the Dutch Barge issue this might be worth a READ.

I deal with that many people wanting Dutch Barges I had to come up with that little spiel because of the amount of time (Theirs and mine!) we were wasting with people who hadn't really done enough research into the subject.

Looking at the magazine adverts a lot of narrowboat builders are seeing that in a troubled market the Dutch Barge is the new cash cow! If only it was so simple. :huh:

TaTa

Ally p.

I wish people would stop bandying this term about. There are almost no 'replica dutch barges' built in this country - even Elessina only copies elements of the design (don't get me wrong, I think she's a very nice boat, and I think she's an improvement on the luxmotor design).

Most of the so-called 'dutch barge replicas) have a bow vaguely like a luxmotor. The rest of the hull is usually totally different from any dutch barge ever built.

It's all too easy to get sniffy about boat terminology, if we got all pedantic about everything else what would we call a tug, a traditional or a narrowboat for that matter. The English language is flexible, it allows generic terms and all those words that have gone into everyday speech, every one of us could think of a thousand of them.

Come to think of it a lot of you computer geeks would be in trouble if you were enforced to use 'proper' English.

There are almost no 'replica dutch barges' built in this country - even Elessina only copies elements of the design

We seem to have gone a little off topic here, but as the owner of Elessina I would say that I more or less agree with the comments made. But a 'Replica Dutch Barge' seems to be the generic term used for a new build barge with an enclosed rear wheelhouse, and seems to have been for many years. For instance, there are a number of narrowboats termed narrowbeam replica Dutch barges, and everyone seems to identify them as such.

Elessina is a long way from being an exact copy of an original Dutch Barge. The design intent was for her to 'have the looks and sheer - curves' of an original Dutch barge, but using modern construction design techniques enabling for thicker use of steel (originals normally had thinner steel to allow for the curves / roundness) with near vertical sides and blunt / broader bow to provide as much space inside as possible, also with minimal draft and air draft to suit broad beam UK canals. Elessina's interior is more house than boat, and her shape 'is' suited for accommodation and free standing furniture, just like many original Dutch barges, but some new builds are not…. So from a generic point I tend to agree with Garry's statement. Remember also that just about all original Dutch barges cabin structure in front of the wheelhouse will be of modern construction and that only the rear cabin will likely be original as they were nearly all sailing vessels with a hold back to the wheelhouse.

You could say that today's barges built in Holland are not truly replica, some are very close designs of the past (much closer than Elessina), but I would have thought to be truly replica, they would need to be of riveted (iron?) construction with a hold and sail, but I do not know of any that are. Historically it seems that the UK builders have used the term Replica, because they are a look alike, or more accurately a 'bit similar' to those built in Holland. If they were true replicas they would also have a name eg Luxemotor, Tjalk, Aak etc. which is the name given to the styles of barges produced in Holland some 100 years ago.

So to that end, I am not sure what other generic name would best describe a barge like Elessina, or further how else you could describe a narrowbeam replica Dutch barge or the barge in Gary's photo described as an 'alternative design to a Replica Dutch Barge'….. but given no other descriptive name. I can not imagine many describing the barge as an 'Alternative Design to a Replica Dutch Barge' as it cruises past them!. My guess is most will call it a Replica Dutch Barge.

Ian

DB Elessina