Now you see it, now you don't

Dominic M

Featured Posts

A boat owner who has a BW long term mooring just 400 yards up the canal from my Stowe Hill base has been procrastinating about selling for several months. On Friday (yesterday) at 4pm he brought the boat down and put it on brokerage. By 11am this morning we had an agreed sale. I haven't even taken a photo yet!

It was a Liverpool build, 2004, part of the New Boat Co's Kingfisher range. Neat, tidy, well cared for, job done. What does that tell you about the current market?

Edited by Dominic M

A boat owner who has a BW long term mooring just 400 yards up the canal from my Stowe Hill base has been procrastinating about selling for several months. On Friday (yesterday) at 4pm he brought the boat down and put it on brokerage. By 11am this morning we had an agreed sale. I haven't even taken a photo yet!

It was a Liverpool build, 2004, part of the New Boat Co's Kingfisher range. Neat, tidy, well cared for, job done. What does that tell you about the current market?

It tells you "if" you keep selling boats at that rate you will be retiring by the end of the year

well done.

Budget boats are still selling....with the right broker? ;)

I don't want to blow my own

, but it does make me feel good that we attract so many people to visit us. But against that most of our boats sell on the strength of photos and video footage, so it was a bit of a surprise.

And, no, I have no desire to retire. I love the canal, and the visitors, and generally chatting about boats to everyone who drops by (and on this forum too). Even Alan Fincher when he drops by and gives me gip about stick on rivets. Why would I want to leave that?

Edited by Dominic M

Even Alan Fincher when he drops by and gives me gip about stick on rivets. Why would I want to leave that?

No, I'm a reformed character, now I'm in election mode.

If elected, I will even try and represent those with "stick on rivets" to the best of my ability!

If elected, I will even try and represent those with "stick on rivets" to the best of my ability!

You have my vote, Alan, but you already did. And I hope you win, because I think you will do a great job.

In fact, I am going to add the link to your campaign to my website, and I don't know why I didn't before. I don't want bloody Putin getting in.....oh. that's another election, sorry.

Edited by Dominic M

Damm, have I wasted my vote on you ? you said nowt about stick on rivets in your manifesto :P

In that case you must ensure that you become a paid up SPONSOR member..........the Society for the Preservation OF Nice Stick On Rivets. :lol: I've heard that they have some fanatical members.

Roger

Damm, have I wasted my vote on you ? you said nowt about stick on rivets in your manifesto :P

Well I wouldn't would I ? This could be nearly as divisive as the "Rosie & Jim" issue, and if forced to state a position will always be a vote loser!

In that case you must ensure that you become a paid up SPONSOR member..........the Society for the Preservation OF Nice Stick On Rivets. :lol: I've heard that they have some fanatical members.

I will not shop him, unless he wishes to come clean, but I do know that a regular poster on here who owns a boat that is considerably older than my riveted one found a rivet missing that was not required structurally, but none-the-less there was a hole, where there shouldn't have been. He has faked a "non metal" one, and I have to say if you are asked to look at them, and say which one it is, it's not at all obvious.

never miss an opportunity Alan

You'll be kissing babies next :D

Link now added Alan. Bang at the top of the home page. Now win, all right :)

Bloomin' marvellous - I don't suppose you have access to the Google home page, do you ? :lol:

I'm still trying hard, or at least when life's little disasters don't put at least a temporary "blip" in the proceedings.

Just out of interest - Will you also represent the views of the poorer GRP boaters ???? We are scorned even worse than those with stick on rivets !

Plenty of us on the system looking for a rep !

Just out of interest - Will you also represent the views of the poorer GRP boaters ???? We are scorned even worse than those with stick on rivets !

Plenty of us on the system looking for a rep !

Well it wasn't GRP, (marine ply actually), but this was our first boat........

Water_Baby_Gnat_on_Wendover_Arm.jpg

So yes, it certainly doesn't have to be iron or steel!

EDITED TO ADD:

I've just looked at that photo and concluded it has taken me about a further 40 years to manage to get back to owning a boat with even less facilities, and frankly not a lot more cabin space.

Staggeringly "Sickle" was well less than half her current age when the above was taken, (she will be 76 years old in March).

Edited by alan_fincher

I will not shop him, unless he wishes to come clean, but I do know that a regular poster on here who owns a boat that is considerably older than my riveted one found a rivet missing that was not required structurally, but none-the-less there was a hole, where there shouldn't have been. He has faked a "non metal" one, and I have to say if you are asked to look at them, and say which one it is, it's not at all obvious.

P1080723.jpg

:blush: