River Severn

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Thinking of exploring the Severn after our foray to Droitwich at Easter. Suddenly occurs to me to wonder if we're going to need another licence, or is it a BW river?

(I know I could look on Waterscape but I'm already here and someone will know instantly...)

Thinking of exploring the Severn after our foray to Droitwich at Easter. Suddenly occurs to me to wonder if we're going to need another licence, or is it a BW river?

(I know I could look on Waterscape but I'm already here and someone will know instantly...)

For your purposes, it's BW. so no extra licence needed unless you venture onto the Stratford Avon from Tewkesbury

There are all sorts of complications for boats based on the river, under ancient royal privilege* a licence is only needed to go through the locks, and even then it can be just river registration

That said, getting a mooring actually on the river is not easy...

*that's not the correct term, but I can't be bothered to look it up as it isn't the main subject of this query

For your purposes, it's BW. so no extra licence needed unless you venture onto the Stratford Avon from Tewkesbury

There are all sorts of complications for boats based on the river, under ancient royal privilege* a licence is only needed to go through the locks, and even then it can be just river registration

That said, getting a mooring actually on the river is not easy...

*that's not the correct term, but I can't be bothered to look it up as it isn't the main subject of this query

Thanks everyone.

What if we did want to venture onto the Avon?

Thanks everyone.

You'll have to buy an Avon licence from the lock keeper at Tewkesbury (I think you buy them from there, it is a manned lock).

Don't know the price at the moment though.

Sue

Thanks everyone.

It would be a great shame if you were passing by and did not visit the Warwickshire Avon. As has been said before, you can purchase a licence at Tewksbury. However, there was when I last visited a lower Avon licence and an upper Avon licence. The keeper at Tewksbury will put you right anyway. Please do visit and enjoy.

A trip along the Gloucester and Sharpness canal is quite an experience if not too scenic.

Seagull.

Edited by Seagull

Thanks again everyone. It will all be new territory so we want to make the most of it once we're out that way. Any more places of interest/handy hints/dire warnings would be very welcome.

Hi Chertsey, a useful thread with Severn stuff is Here

Rob

A trip along the Gloucester and Sharpness canal is quite an experience if not too scenic.

Seagull.

Whadaya mean, it's a beautiful canal, albeit a bit "large" compared to the Stiffs and Worse

the view of the Forest of Dean one way, and the Cotswolds the other can hardly be bettered in my opinion. and if Sarah takes Chertsey down there, then I'm at the front of the queue for tickets on a canal we once called home

Whadaya mean, it's a beautiful canal, albeit a bit "large" compared to the Stiffs and Worse

the view of the Forest of Dean one way, and the Cotswolds the other can hardly be bettered in my opinion. and if Sarah takes Chertsey down there, then I'm at the front of the queue for tickets on a canal we once called home

Seconded!

Thirded ;)

Also you've got Gloucester docks and Gloucester itself for a bit of dry land exploring then at the other end the you've got the hulks at Purton which is one of the most amazing places on the entire water way. Sharpness docks is pretty interesting to Esspecially if you happen to be there when larger boats are using the locks.

Thanks everyone.

You will be able to enjoy a lovely river!

(But moorings not exactly abundant here, either)

BTW it's a single licence now as the two Trusts (LANT and UANT) have now merged.

Edited by PaulG

I wouldn't go back on the Avon (Warwickshire) if you paid me.

ps. no discussion just my position.

Not much point mentioning it if you're not prepared to elaborate for the benefit of others.

It would be a great shame if we were to miss out the Upper Avon as Chertsey proudly carries this plaque:

IMG_1042.jpg

You probably can't tell from the appalling photograph, but it's from the re-opening of the Upper Avon navigation in June 1974.

I believe there are a couple of photos of the event in Max Sinclair's gallery.

ed to say I believed wrong. There aren't. Sorry.

Edited by Chertsey

I wouldn't go back on the Avon (Warwickshire) if you paid me.

ps. no discussion just my position.

Well don't, then, but it's pointless posting unless it contributes, positive or negative. I spent a month on the Avon in 2010 and loved it. There are moorings - at most of the locks for example, and at some pubs, although Chertsey may find her size a problem at the latter. Lots of room at Pershore, Evesham, and Stratford. A licence isn't cheap for a big boat. But you can't miss it.

Not much point mentioning it if you're not prepared to elaborate for the benefit of others.

It would be a great shame if we were to miss out the Upper Avon as Chertsey proudly carries this plaque:

IMG_1042.jpg

You probably can't tell from the appalling photograph, but it's from the re-opening of the Upper Avon navigation in June 1974.

I believe there are a couple of photos of the event in Max Sinclair's gallery.

Wow!

There isn't a "green with envy" emoticon so I'll just have to make do with a :wub:

I just did not like it.

I got fed up with looking at high banks and having to moor at locks with nowhere to walk.

Partner did not like it either but if anyone wants to find out for themselves so be it.

I was just giving my opinion as it appeared everyone else was praising it, so maybe it was just us.

Edited by bottle

I just did not like it.

I got fed up with looking at high banks and having to moor at locks with nowhere to walk.

Partner did not like it either but if anyone wants to find out for themselves so be it.

I was just giving my opinion as it appeared everyone else was praising it, so maybe it was just us.

Well, I understand because I feel like that about the Nene... and everyone else loves it. But you've got to try everywhere at least once, haven't you.

I just did not like it.

I felt similar to be honest. Other than the island where the dry dock is where we blacked the boat. That place is heaven. Every where else is kind of like 'oh thats pretty' as you float off out of sight from what ever it was.

It's strange innit how people's views differ so wildly! We mentioned to a friend that we were planning to do the Erewash while we're round these parts. He's a local man and said "no, don't bother with that horrible canal". We've spoken to others who've praised it to the skies, and been treated to some lovely photos taken by Janet S on that canal. The same man who poo poo'd the Erewash told us we absolutely had to do the Avon!

I think the moral in the story is not to listen to any nay sayers (however good their intentions) but go have a look and if you don't like it don't go back. If you do like it you might have missed a gem by listening to others.

I think the moral in the story is not to listen to any nay sayers (however good their intentions) but go have a look and if you don't like it don't go back. If you do like it you might have missed a gem by listening to others.

Oh for sure! I'm glad i've done it and it wasn't so horrible that i'll never go back, although the weather was pretty horrible so maybe that didn't help. I also think people made it sound alot nicer than I found it. Maybe they raised my expectations a bit.