I think i have just bought a boat, at last !

micky44

Featured Posts

:help: Well folks i have just about gone and done it, the deal is almost complete . only one small or should i say very large problem! the boats in bristol im in derby. oh and it could be classed as a sailaway lined out with port holes and engine. im planning on bringing it up to sawley the end of march. should be a bit warmer then, fingers crossed. but im guessing its going to be a fair old trip a it will be my first time alone on a narrowboat. the time it takes is not an issue as im out of work at the moment. how do i go about planing the route please. :help:

:help: Well folks i have just about gone and done it, the deal is almost complete . only one small or should i say very large problem! the boats in bristol im in derby. oh and it could be classed as a sailaway lined out with port holes and engine. im planning on bringing it up to sawley the end of march. should be a bit warmer then, fingers crossed. but im guessing its going to be a fair old trip a it will be my first time alone on a narrowboat. the time it takes is not an issue as im out of work at the moment. how do i go about planing the route please. :help:

Google canal plan. Route planner

Nice little trip down the K and A the Thames the GU soar and a few inches of the Trent quite a good little jaunt.

ha ha i have just looked at canal plan , over 200 locks, i have never been through 1 on my own yet, and i will be on my own this trip, my maiden voyage, guess if i get back i will be quite experinced :cheers: and quite slim, no cooking facilities !

Edited by micky44

ha ha i have just looked at canal plotter , over 200 locks, i have never been through 1 on my own yet, and i will be on my own this trip, my maiden voyage, guess if i get back i will be quite experinced :cheers:

You will know all about locks after the crappy ones on the K and A. Cant ya get some mates to come along it realy is not an easy single handed trip for a novice...............

ha ha i have just looked at canal plan , over 200 locks, i have never been through 1 on my own yet, and i will be on my own this trip, my maiden voyage, guess if i get back i will be quite experinced :cheers: and quite slim, no cooking facilities !

That's the spirit. Treat it as an adventure. -

Good luck.

You will know all about locks after the crappy ones on the K and A. Cant ya get some mates to come along it realy is not an easy single handed trip for a novice...............

Oh i can see a whole list of my mates queing up to have 3 weeks with no toilet, shower, cooking, or heating, but on the plus side mrs micky44 will be all at home on her own, 3 weeks with out her constant nagging , only joking.

Edited by micky44

Oh i can see a whole list of my mates queing up to have 3 weeks with no toilet, shower, cooking, or heating, but on the plus side mrs micky44 will be all at home on her own, 3 weeks with out her constant nagging , only joking.

Dont know or want to know about ya finances but if you want to borrow a lifejacket/s windlass nicholsons or owt like that just pm me and we can sure arrange that. :cheers:

Nice little trip down the K and A the Thames the GU soar and a few inches of the Trent quite a good little jaunt.

He'll only be able to come up the Southern Grand Union if they have reopened Tring summit by when he wants to come through, of course.

But surely if you are travelling from the K&A to the Soar it would anyway be faster / quicker to go up the Oxford rather than the Southern GU ??

He'll only be able to come up the Southern Grand Union if they have reopened Tring summit by when he wants to come through, of course.

But surely if you are travelling from the K&A to the Soar it would anyway be faster / quicker to go up the Oxford rather than the Southern GU ??

Yes Alan you might be right, could well be faster that way I was just being mind lazy and going the easy to think of way and yes forgot about Tring being stuffed still. Either way wouldnt think its an easy jaunt for a single handed newbie do you ?

Yes Alan you might be right, could well be faster that way I was just being mind lazy and going the easy to think of way and yes forgot about Tring being stuffed still. Either way wouldnt think its an easy jaunt for a single handed newbie do you ?

No, not particularly easy at all, if I'm honest.

The Oxford will be easier than the GU, IMO, because narrow locks will surely be far easier for a single hander.

No expert on the K&A, but it doesn't sound the easiest of introductions, really!

Micky44 - Is the boat with the SR4 ?

im confussed allready, canal plan never mentioned any closures ?

mmmmmmmmmmmm Ive never even seen canal plan !! In my time I have always used books, not saying the new fangled internet stuff doesnt work but books are always instantly available, no leccy needed etc and instantly open to any page ya want and if it drops in the canal, hey ho cheap to replace :cheers:

:cheers: Bloody hell wouldnt that be fun on a sailaway with its arse end only tickling the water..........

NO!

Portapotti thingy ~£75

Camping stove (illegal) ~ £20 (won't work below 10 degrees)

Heating - ?

Lots of Tinned Heinz spag bol & big soup steak & potato. Don't even need an opener.

Lots of baby wipes & kitchen tissue

Very large can of Lynx.

There. Problems mostly sorted.

Oh Toilet rolls.

Micky-I can give you a hand on K&A if you want.I'm going to be out on the boat in early march but could be about from 20th onwards? K&A is relatively straightforward 'til Kintbury, the eastern section is the hardest bit for a single handed boater but totally doable.Give us a shout if you want some help.I'd recommend at least one person extra for Caen Hill.

Edited by JDR

thank you for your offer of help JDR, im planning on setting off from bristol,the end of March, fingers crossed, i will give you a shout nearer the time. :cheers:

Give me some notice and I'd be well up for it, I could do a day or two until you start to feel confident or help you to Reading/show you Thames locks.Up to you really- give me notice if poss, would need to get a bit of time off.Cheers John