Sabb engines

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Rather depends on which Sabb it is!

I think they are about 10HP "per pot", so the single cylinder isn't great for a boat of that length, but I have known a boat of that length with a twin that really flew along.

Our Friends is the two por variety.

Certainly on canals, if the hull shape is good, and with the right prop, that can result in a very fast boat.

And they do sound very good, from my memory.

I think the twin went out of production a long while before the single, but don't know dates for either.

You often see adverts for boats for sale which claim to have a "Saab" engine. I wonder how many are actually Sabbs. It's an easy mistake to make but the two firms were entirely separate and indeed were based in different countries.

From the descriptions which you provide, Richard, the 2G sounds fun: "Huge, heavy and slow".

I once looked at a boat fitted with a single-cylinder Sabb, which indeed made a pleasant sound. One peculiarity of it was that you started it (at least in cold weather) by inserting some sort of igniter, which looked like a short cigarette, into a hole in its side.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. Anybody had any experiences of sabb engines in a bigger boat our friend has a Sabb in a 50footer. Thanks in advance.

Hi, We have a Sabb 2G engine which is 22HP in a 57 foot 1986 Colecraft boat. The engine is 1977. It works very well indeed. Last year we happily cruised up the tidal Ouse and the tidal Trent with no issues. We have been across the Ribble estuary also. Due to its age we don't tend to push hard and so we arrive at the locks maybe a few minutes after the others. On the canals generally it performs very well.

Servicing is very easy. Oil and fuel filters are standard. Other spares are available via Sleeman and Hawkins.

Casper ghost is the Sabb man he has only recently taken one out of his boat

I see a nice looking Sabb single cylinder sold yesterday on ebay for £285. Bargain! Was this Casp selling perhaps?

What did he put in to replace it? I've not seen him posting here recently...

I see a nice looking Sabb single cylinder sold yesterday on ebay for £285. Bargain! Was this Casp selling perhaps?

What did he put in to replace it? I've not seen him posting here recently...

I doooonnt believeit, I grew up where that engine was for sale and its about thirty minutes from where I now live!!!!

It wasnt Casp. He is distracted with work I think and other ghostly duties :D

Ive hankered after a Saab for a while and to miss this one the doorstep is a terrible oversight, however I have bigger fish to fry at the moment and have fallen in love with another temptress about which I am keeping stum, I am a sucker for a burmese teak body and a faint whiff of mildew and diesel on wood :o

Damn. I even fished out the link thinking it was still a current auction and this would be the perfect place to flag it up....

There have been two or three go through ebay recently. I'll tell you immediately next time I see one come on!

Mmmmmm yes the unique smell of engine oil, teak and rotting oak ribs... reminds me of my very first boat, a 38ft converted naval pinnace

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Damn. I even fished out the link thinking it was still a current auction and this would be the perfect place to flag it up....

There have been two or three go through ebay recently. I'll tell you immediately next time I see one come on!

Mmmmmm yes the unique smell of engine oil, teak and rotting oak ribs... reminds me of my very first boat, a 38ft converted naval pinnace

SShh this ones 40 ft, Doh!!! [dont tell him pike!] :lol: pm,d

Edited by soldthehouse

Hi, We have a Sabb 2G engine which is 22HP in a 57 foot 1986 Colecraft boat. The engine is 1977. It works very well indeed. Last year we happily cruised up the tidal Ouse and the tidal Trent with no issues. We have been across the Ribble estuary also. Due to its age we don't tend to push hard and so we arrive at the locks maybe a few minutes after the others. On the canals generally it performs very well.

Servicing is very easy. Oil and fuel filters are standard. Other spares are available via Sleeman and Hawkins.

Hello I think we shared some locks with you on the Erewash canal last year. Yes like the Sabb sound.

Hello I think we shared some locks with you on the Erewash canal last year. Yes like the Sabb sound.

Yes, that was us. At the end of August we met in Sandiacre. You had managed to to drop your T shaped key in the canal the day before! If I recall, your boat boat is a Colecraft too but maybe a couple of years younger than ours. Just goes to show what good boatbuilders they are.

We spent three and a half months on that trip. This year, passports and visas ready, we are hoping to leave Lancashire and head to that great unknown, the south, and towards Bristol.

• 8 years later...