Cyclists

ChrisK

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...

I use a bicycle when taking photos for my site. On stretches where there's no one about i will go at a fair rate of knots but where there's boats moored or anglers i will slow right down.

ps: i'm a dodgy bike rider and i'm surprised i haven't fallen in the cut yet :(

The problem of cyclists will come increasingly to the fore in the near future.

I went to a BW user group meeting a few days ago, I was somewhat surprised to find that the staff are starting to talk about "Cycleways" as opposed to towpaths, they are actively considering the re-surfacing of many miles of towpaths purely in response to the requirements of cyclists.

When asked what they would do about the phenomenon of a dozen or so Lycra glad oafs holding time trials and other competitive cycling (common in this part of the world) they brushed that aside as irrelevant, preferring to talk in terms of mummy and daddy taking their little ones for a happy day on their bikes.

The SUSRANS group are becoming more and more politically influential and seem to have access to a lot of funding, this is what lights up the eyes of the BW people.

Watch out.

One of the reasons (not the only one!) I have moved off the K&A is the sheer volume of cyclists powering along the towpath between Bath and Bradford on Avon, particularly at weekends. They show so little consideration for others that many local people will not walk the towpath at wekends because of the intimidation. When one local boatowner did take matters into her own hands and confront a group of "terrorist" cyclists she ended up being prosecuted for assault by the police whilst BW refused to take any action against the cyclists for breachin BW regulations.

Edited by David Schweizer

"Lycra glad oafs holding time trials" bit strong that. I am a cyclist and a qualified cycling coach who has spent considerable time on the canal both boating and walking, and yes occasionally cycling. In all the hours on the cut I have never seen a 'lycra clad oaf holding time trials' but I have seen a chap on a jet ski ripping up the Peak Forest and yet I have managed to refrain from calling all boaters [of which I am also one] wet suit cladded morons. There are idiots in all hobbies and interests, most are not oafs or morons.

Hi Boatchad.

Well if you have not seen them, I certainly have and quite often too. I am not sure why you take exception to the phrase, if it doesn't apply to you then you shouldn't be affronted by it.

If you ever see me clad in a wet suit (god forbid) acting like a moron you will be entitled to call me that.

Idiots, oafs, morons whats the difference.

I sometimes cycle from home to the boat which takes around 30 minutes. Along the way I pass some moorings. Even though the bank is about 20 feet wide here, I always get off and walk, pushing my bike.

One day, I did the usual thing and dismounted way before I hit the moorings. A bloody little rat of a dog jumped off the boat, went straight for me and ripped a big hole, about 4 inches square out of my pants.

If I would of caught the little sh*t I would of chucked it into the cut, but collecting myself and checking if it had broken the skin (which it hadn't) I made my way to the boat and gently knocked on and asked if he owned the dog which was by now lying down on the bank again. I was greeted by a rather scruffy man, so I told him my story, about how I was walking along minding my own business and told him what had happened - showed him the big rip in my pants on my calf too.

He basically said that it was against the rules that I should be riding down the towpath on my bike and I deserved what I got.

We argued for a while and I left it with something like.. I have your reg number and boat name and I'm going to report you and if your dog does anything like it has done to me, I'll drop kick it into the cut.

Don't get me wrong, I am actually a dog lover.

"Lycra glad oafs holding time trials" bit strong that.  I am a cyclist and a qualified cycling coach who has spent considerable time on the canal both boating and walking, and yes occasionally cycling.  In all the hours on the cut I have never seen a 'lycra clad oaf holding time trials' but I have seen a chap on a jet ski ripping up the Peak Forest and yet  I have managed to refrain from calling all boaters [of which I am also one] wet suit cladded morons.  There are idiots in all hobbies and interests, most are not oafs or morons.

I might have used a different word from oaf, but that is exactly what has happened several times on the K&A between Bath and Bradford on Avon. They even advertised the fact on one occasion which was a bit silly because after receiving numerous objections, BW were forced to contact the organizers and forbid the event from taking place on the towpath.

I agree that on some canals cyclists are a comparitively rare sight, but on others they are a real pain, furthermore they ride so fast, that in the summer they leave a cloud of dust following them, which settles all over everything. Some boaters have resorted to watering the towpath in the summer to reduce dust pollution from cyclists.

Like you I also ride a bike, in fact I have two, a Brompton for use on the boat, and a classic 1950's hand built Carlton (Hetchings lugs and all) for road use, but I still don't have much time for this modern breed of inconsiderate cylists, who behave in exactly the same way towards pedestrians, as many car drivers behave towards cyclist on the road. Its'almost as if they are venting their anger - but on the wrong people. Sad really.

These "lycra clad oafs" are not cyclists any more than the jet skier is a boater, just inconsiderate idiots, my objection is to cyclists being labelled in the same manner. I am part of a cycling forum that is activley fighting against using the tow path as a cycle path, my local council is trying to designate it for cycle use rather than fulfilling its obligation to provide proper cycle paths. This is probably because it is a cheap option, as the canal is a ready made path, but one meant for horses and walkers and possibly usable by small family groups who only move slowly.

The usual club cyclist/time trialist travels at speeds far in excess of anything the surface of a canal towing path can accomodate and would not dream of risking his or her neck and expensive bit of kit on such a poor surface. As I pointed out at a recent meeting, nobody but the mentally deranged would consider riding to work at 6.00 am on a dark winters morning along an unlit canal path, when he would expect to be able to do the same urban journey in a similar time to a car if not faster.

When I do ride on towpaths I exercise due care near other people be they on foot or off a boat, path and circumstances permiting though I may well have a bit of a blast up to the next lock to set it. I never ride fast past walkers, always pass the time of day and thank them when they move over to let me past, and often wear lycra but I hope nobody would consider me an oaf. :P

• 2 weeks later...

i myself step to the left and stop when i see someone coming towards me on a bike i let them pass say hello all is well.but when someone comes up from behind,unseen and unheard as they generally have no bell i am unable to take action to let them pass freely.so get a bell.

dont come up behind me silently on a bike or on foot or i will think your intentions are bad.if i have good cause to think i may be injured i will try to protect myself.you can explain to the police from your hospital bed why you were silently sneaking up on someone from behind

i myself step to the left and stop when i see someone coming towards me on a bike i let them pass say hello all is well.but when someone comes up from behind,unseen and unheard as they generally have no bell i am unable to take action to let them pass freely.so get a bell.

dont come up behind me silently on a bike or on foot or i will think your intentions are bad.if i have good cause to think i may be injured i will try to protect myself.you can explain to the police from your hospital bed why you were silently sneaking up on someone from behind

Man after my own heart. This guy can stay :D

I know I have mentioned this before but the issue of cyclist on the towpath, (or the cycleway as some BW stall now call them) is going to be an ever growing issue, in this part of the country BW have issued "consultative" documents requesting opinions but seem to be going ahead erecting signposting of these towpath cycleways anyway.

SUSTRANS seem to have a lot of political muscle and seem to be well funded, your canals are soon to be hijacked.

"Your" ...  I'm sure you mean "Our" ?? :D

Liam.

I did not see cyclists much in evidence when the restoration movement in it's darkest day's, campaigning for acceptance and some level of funding, nor do I see individual cyclists contributing anything to the system they are now laying claim to.

The bottom line should always be, the canals were built for boats, other uses must always be considered a secondary function.

BW now have a Visitor Incident Reporting Scheme. You are invited to report anything, fishingmen, cyclists, vandals, motorcyclists etc.

Their page is here:

Visitor Incident Report

British Waterways works to provide a safe environment for everyone who uses and visits our canals and rivers. Although rare, incidents and accidents sometimes occur and it is very important for us to find out as much as possible about these events to help us to continue to keep the waterways safe.

The form below helps you to report any incident, accident or ‘near miss’ that you have witnessed or been involved in while visiting or using our waterway sites. The information you give will help us to investigate the cause of the problem, minimise the risk of it happening again and where practical, remove potential hazards.

You can also use the form to report any incidence of vandalism or threatening behaviour, but it should not be used as a replacement for reporting incidents to the Police or local BW office. By reporting an incident you could help save someone else from injury.

Please complete the form and return it as soon as possible to the local BW office.

Please provide as much detail as you can, including information on any craft involved or people who could help us if we need to investigate further.

We ask that you provide your name and contact details so that we can gather more information about the incident if necessary.

If you would like to speak to someone about the incident please contact the Safety Team at Watford, (telephone 01923 201120) or local BW office during office hours.

The form can be accessed online and can also be to print off and returned by post to;

Please click the following link to fill in online.

Download the the PDF and return by to post to;

Safety Team

British Waterways

FREEPOST NAT20833

Watford

WD17 4BR

Thank you for your help.

You can access the page from here:

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/responsi...eport_form.html

Rod Fox

I spend most of my time on the Bridgewater, so, unfortunately, this doesn't apply to me. I wish MSCCo. had something like this in place.

Oh well, you can wish can't you!

"I did not see cyclists much in evidence when the restoration movement in it's darkest day's" Maybe you were not looking!

I am a cyclist and I was at the Ashton canal restoration back in 1974, there may have been other cyclists there as well. I for one find it hard to tell a cyclist from a boater or from a fisherman when covered in mud and wearing a hard hat in the bed of a canal. Every time I go out on my bike on the road I am almost killed by car drivers but I do not blame every car driver on the road, I would be stupid to do so as I am a car driver as well.

We all use the canal for a use other than the one for which they were intended, leisure, so live and let live. Boaters, cyclists, fishermen and walkers, we all have a common interest, canals so lets enjoy them.

• 1 month later...

How many cyclists actually have a permit for the towpath ! bet thats an interesting one ............

I too also believe in toleration and good will to mankind etc bla bla but some people DO take the biscuit ! and perhaps deserve all they get !

Interesting subject, cycling permits don't cost anything via BW, but I'm just wondering how many boaters who use a bicycle for lock wheeling have a permit?

24833[/snapback]

It has always been my understanding that you can carry two cycles on a licenced boat and use them in connection with the operatrion of the boat, without the need to obtain cycle permits for them. Any more and you need apermit for the additional cycles.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Maffi for those cheering words during this season of good will.

I too have cycled a fair bit along towpaths (nice and flat in some parts, but more often you really need big fat tires and preferably suspension).

Trying to do 15/20mph along a towpath is suicidal, for all involved. I have clip-less pedals so I'm effectively bolted to the bike, it takes some forethought to stop, otherwise you fall over - probably into the cut - whilst still on the bike. Possibly due to the amount of 'thinking ahead' time that must be involved I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with other towpath users.

P.S. Anyone trying to forcibly dismount me on the grounds that it might be funny will suffer my wrath (and probably that of my solicitors).

4525[/snapback]

So Rusty Duck is bolted to his bike & can't put his feet down or else he would fall off!

This must be akin to driving a car without brakes, & should be illegal. Go faster goodies are Ok for race tracks, but not where the public are.

Is this why cyclists ignore road signs, traffic lights etc. If they stop, they fall off

Ban these gizmos where they might endanger the public

Cyclists are a danger to the disabled and the elderly. I was attacked by a cyclist some while back when I didnt move out of the way. He ran into me then tried to have a fight with me for not 'hearing' him come up behind. I would never accept the flagrant fascism with which someone approaches a deaf or disabled person - at the same time I am appalled at the number of cyclists using the towpaths, it is becoming too dangerous especially in built up areas. Sustrans should stick to old railway lines or other means where there is plenty of space for both cyclists and walkers. Canal towpaths are simply not the place for hordes of cyclists going to and from work or on a days outing.