galvanic isolators

PeterDHS

Featured Posts

Hi people and apologies if this one has been hacked to death before but......

I have a 46 foot NB in a marina moored next to an un-maintained rust bucket. I have 6 good anodes and am plugged in via a Victron 1600 (Victron really should get a human being to write their manuals).

The question is should I have a GI ? Why doesn't the Victron (being sooooo tecky)have this built in as standard ? or indeed does it?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Yes it has been rather hacked to death but basically yes you should have one to prevent the metal of your hull from being eaten away by electrolysis while you are plugged in.

No the Victron doesn't have one - probably because they cost money so would make their equipment less competitive on price, also because not everyone needs one; for example you don't need one if you have an isolating transformer which would possibly work even better than a GI but would be a lot bigger and a lot more expensive.

If you're moored in a marina and your boat is on shore power all or most of the time then you should really have some form of isolation, because in effect you are connected through the common earth to every other boat and piece of underwater metal in the marina. Large scale galvanic currents may then occur between your hull and these other connected bits of metal resulting in some corroding at the expense of others.

Assuminng 24 hour shore power connection, isolation from the common earth can take 3 forms:

1) A galvanic isolator. Easy to fit, questions as to their reliability, good ones can solve most of the uncertainties.

2) An isolation transformer. Slightly more involved installation, a lot more expensive, but 100% effective.

3) Boat's AC system earth not bonded to the steel hull. Isolated but potentially deadly.

Your move sherlock. :boat:

Edited by blackrose

I have one of these galvanic isolators (70 amp model with the led status monitors). It's higher spec than most GIs.

http://www.safeshoremarine.com/

An isolation transformer is better but I think this is sufficient for what I need. Lets face it, most people don't do anything about this issue at all.

Edited by blackrose

Daz I bet you don't have the same inverter as me... Cos I don't have an inverter! But if I did, why would I need a seperate isolator (aside from the one I already have?)

~Confused of Braunston. :captain:

I think it hooked up on the word isolator and missed the galvanic bit.

I think it hooked up on the word isolator and missed the galvanic bit.

And if its just an inverter (or onboard generator) it does not need galvanic isolation. Thats only needed when you bring a company mains "earth" cable aboard and wire it in a safe manner.

another vote for the safeshore GI from me - they are nice people to deal with too.

I wanted the status monitor LEDs to be built into my control panel not a 'separate little box' and they helpfully sent me a wiring diagram and extra label so I could do it.

jon