Apologies to anyone in Banbury

Myself

Featured Posts

Got to go out alone for the first time. Am only going to the pump out and back to my moorings but as I am new to steering this is going to be a major undertaking. One lift bridge, one lock, each way, and a turn around gulp, but have no choice . Big apologies to anyone I pass (and hopefully not hit) Joy

• Greenie 1

Got to go out alone for the first time. Am only going to the pump out and back to my moorings but as I am new to steering this is going to be a major undertaking. One lift bridge, one lock, each way, and a turn around gulp, but have no choice . Big apologies to anyone I pass (and hopefully not hit) Joy

But think how cocky you'll be when you get back!!

Have a greenie to help you on your way.

Brian :cheers:

Good luck I have yet to venture out myself.

It's often said but worth repeating.

Take it slow and steady - don't allow anyone to ha-rang or rush you, if you feel you are holding anybody up, just offer to let them pass, or even better let them help you through.

You will be fine...

Joy, no need to apologise to the boats which you pass - that's what you're supposed to do!

With luck, there will be other boats about and you can enlist help, especially with the lift bridge. Good luck.

Hoorah!

The lift bridge is quite simple to operate, the hard part is enduring the stony stares of the old biddies with their shopping trollies who are waiting to cross. Some are nice and chatty, others are less so. But they could quite easily cross over on the lock-tail bridge if they were in that much of a hurry.

I did it, I did it yayyyyyy, and without major mishap! A few disgruntled old ladies waiting at the bridge and a difficult time turning ( a huge thank you to Susie for helping there and the return lock) but I am back in one piece with a pumped out loo yayyyyyy

• Greenie 1

I did it, I did it yayyyyyy, and without major mishap! A few disgruntled old ladies waiting at the bridge and a difficult time turning ( a huge thank you to Susie for helping there and the return lock) but I am back in one piece with a pumped out loo yayyyyyy

Well done Myself.Do you know Myself,myself thought how brave Myself has been,in fact Myself,myself couldn't have done it better Myself,myself couldn't. :mellow:

• Greenie 1

whooohooo...well done... :clapping:

it can only get easier from here! (apparently!)..now you're really capt of your ship... :captain:

Gratz! I know that bridge very very well! Most people wait politely. Sometimes you get an arsey git there who has too wait, and if they have a little 'temper tantrum' it's effing hilarious to watch!

Are you moored in Banbury, do you know Cliff off 'Romany Rye'? What about Paul off 'Jester'? or Cave Dave off 'Rumpleteaser'?

Sorry kitman I don't know any of those people, have not had the boat long and am moored just past banbury by the winding place and Tesco's.

That lot are on the Tramway moorings, all good blokes. Cliff would probably be the first to admit that he is slightly dangerous, but y'know, (he has a ) heart of gold!

I know Simon off NB Nene Pilot and and the guy off NB Timaru (known as Timaru to me, not sure what his real name is!) who used to moor up there near you, not sure if they are still there or not.

Anyway, Banbury is a cracking little town, I wouldn't live anywhere else! Fairport Festival in August...need I say more??

Sorry kitman I don't know any of those people, have not had the boat long and am moored just past banbury by the winding place and Tesco's.

By the winding place do you mean the old route of the canal, or the concrete by the S bend where the buses and parked up.

That lot are on the Tramway moorings, all good blokes. Cliff would probably be the first to admit that he is slightly dangerous, but y'know, (he has a ) heart of gold!

I know Simon off NB Nene Pilot and and the guy off NB Timaru (known as Timaru to me, not sure what his real name is!) who used to moor up there near you, not sure if they are still there or not.

Anyway, Banbury is a cracking little town, I wouldn't live anywhere else! Fairport Festival in August...need I say more??

Simon was still there last time I past Spiceball, early last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations. Always good to get the first solo under your belt.