Advice for Aussies about pubs

harleyj

Featured Posts

We are doing the Cheshire Ring starting from Mercia Marina on the 11th of May for 2 weeks. There will be 10 of us on 2 boats( Much Ado & Cimbaline ), 5 Aussies, 3 Tasmanians and 2 Poms. Because there will be such a large group each night and most lunch times we intend to ring ahead to the pub of choice. What we need from you mob is a critique of our choices of pub for meals and whether they are still open for business or an alternative if there is one nearby. Not only are we looking for good food but also a wide range of beers(some cold, we know you mob are a bit allergic to fridges) and some good wine.

11/5/12; Evening Meal- The Old Boat, Alrewas

12/5/12; Lunch-The Crown, Hansacre: Evening Meal-The Fox & Hounds, Great Haywood.

13/5/12; L-The Star Inn, Stone: E M-The Lakeside Tavern, Meaford

14/5/12; L- The Packhorse Inn, Longport, Stoke: E M-Robin Hood, Buglawton

15/5/12; L-Fools Nook, Sutton: E M- Windmill Inn, Whiteley Green

16/5/12; L- On the boats, middle of Marple Locks: E M-Globe Hotel, Dukinfield

17/5/12; L- On the boats, Aston Canal: E M-Dukes ’92, Castlefield

18/5/12; L- The Railway Inn, Sale Bridge:E M- Golden Fleece, Lymm

19/5/12; L- Tunnel Top, Dutton: E M-The Moorings, Anderton

20/5/12; L-The Boars Head, Middlewich: E M- Cheshire Cheese, Wheelock

21/5/12; L- The Broughton Arms, Rode Heath: E M-The Bird In Hand, Etruria

22/5/12; L-Lakeside Tavern, Meaford (again): E M-Dog & Doublet Inn, Sandon

23/5/12; L-Wolseley Arms, Wolseley Bridge: E M- The Swan, Fradley Junction

24/5/12; L- The Bridge, Branston: E M-The Green Dragon, Willington

Any help with info on any or all of these pubs would be greatly appreciated. We will have a computer geek with us this time, so we may be able to catch up with some of you mob in some of the pubs along the way.

Harley

P.S. I know the planning looks a bit over the top, but as I said at the start with such a large group we thought it better to plan well ahead.

:cheers:

Have you visited these shores before? Only you may like a little generic pub information too. For instance I hope your party is aware that if you are faced with an array of unfamiliar beers, most pubs will happily provide little tasters to help you make your choice. :cheers:

May i suggest you dont order any Beer, you should stick to lager, it is cold and flavour free, much like what you are used to ;):D

The Green Dragon at Willington re-opened last year after a pretty extensive re-furb. It's really handy as it is right by the side of the canal -

Food was OK last time we went in but that is a few months back now.

The Swan at Fradley seems to get mixed reviews but I liked it last time we were in. I don't think we ate a meal (possibly sandwiches) and again nowt flash but OK. Again handily within staggering distance of the moorings.

The better pub for food in Alrewas seemed to be the George and Dragon when we were down them parts. It was always full with locals (good sign) eating where the others always seemed much quieter.

HTH.

The Green Dragon at Willington re-opened last year after a pretty extensive re-furb. It's really handy as it is right by the side of the canal -

The Swan at Fradley seems to get mixed reviews but I liked it last time we were in. I don't think we ate a meal (possibly sandwiches) and again nowt flash but OK. Again handily within staggering distance of the moorings.

The better pub for food in Alrewas seemed to be the George and Dragon when we were down them parts. It was always full with locals (good sign) eating where the others always seemed much quieter.

HTH.

The Swan is my Fav pub !! great atmosphere with mediocre food so it gets busy with drinkers and not kids and cafe types. Great spot for a basic meal with good friends for a natter :cheers:

Bird in hand, Etruria? For a meal in the evening? I know you Australians aren't best known for taste, but even you will find that a bit difficult, even if the pub is still open.

Stop at Festival Park, Etruria and go to the China Garden. Good mooring, and even though it is a Harvester, it is actually quite good.

If you mean food at lunchtime, you need to check what the Packhorse at Longport has on offer.

Edited by oldironsides

And whichever brand you chose they all taste the same... :lol:

And don't forget...(as observed) its traditional to moor at ...and across water points for several hours while drinking it !!..

:unsure:

Edited by Bobbybass

Bird in hand, Etruria? For a meal in the evening? I know you Australians aren't best known for taste, but even you will find that a bit difficult, even if the pub is still open.

Stop at Festival Park, Etruria and go to the China Garden. Good mooring, and even though it is a Harvester, it is actually quite good.

If you mean food at lunchtime, you need to check what the Packhorse at Longport has on offer.

I was in the Bird in Hand last April, but apparently it closed in May - haven't heard anything more recent.

Isn't it all kangaroo steaks while you play a Stylophone ?

We are doing the Cheshire Ring starting from Mercia Marina on the 11th of May for 2 weeks. There will be 10 of us on 2 boats( Much Ado & Cimbaline ), 5 Aussies, 3 Tasmanians and 2 Poms. Because there will be such a large group each night and most lunch times we intend to ring ahead to the pub of choice. What we need from you mob is a critique of our choices of pub for meals and whether they are still open for business or an alternative if there is one nearby. Not only are we looking for good food but also a wide range of beers(some cold, we know you mob are a bit allergic to fridges) and some good wine.

Any help with info on any or all of these pubs would be greatly appreciated. We will have a computer geek with us this time, so we may be able to catch up with some of you mob in some of the pubs along the way.

Harley

P.S. I know the planning looks a bit over the top, but as I said at the start with such a large group we thought it better to plan well ahead.

:cheers:

Should you need transport from the Airport to Mercia Marina, I do know a fellow at 'Group 4', Who can arrange transport for you and your party.

Firesprite

In the Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite

Should you need transport from the Airport to Mercia Marina, I do know a fellow at 'Group 4', Who can arrange transport for you and your party.

(Recommend by Clarkson & Co for all their Aussies Guests)

Firesprite

In the Fens

Harley, don't take any notice of them. But can I be the first in advance to welcome you back, just be on your best behaviour this time.

Where's "The Old Boat" in Arlewas? Is that The White Horse reopened with a new name? I'm with MJG on this, go to the George & Dragon which is a very friendly pub.

Great Haywood was a challenge last time we were there. Pubs shown in Nicholsons were all pretty dull but then we found an unmarked boozer with a "country house" feel, I think it might have been the Clifford Arms. Nice food and an excellent range of beers.

The Swan at Fradley (aka The Mucky Duck) is ace but it's a drinker's pub. Also features a young barmaid with a fantastic arse, who I may have mentioned before.

The Harvester in Stoke is a good pub and also a safe mooring in a fairly rough area. If there's still a bloke in a shiny trad moored up there who looks like Antony Worrall Thompson, make a point of bresting up to his boat with a hearty "What ho, cheery chops!". He loves it.

Green Dragon in Willington is a good pub (and my local at the moment!). However it does get very busy so be sure to book that one well in advance.

Thanks for the warning...I've listed them in my diary.

Great, your shout 1st each night. See you there.

And don't forget...(as observed) its traditional to moor at ...and across water points for several hours while drinking it !!..

:unsure:

I thought that was the domain of live-aboards.

Isn't it all kangaroo steaks while you play a Stylophone ?

If you are going to eat "roo", I would advise roo-tail stew. Music wise, I don't think we have enough room in the case for the "Stylophone"

Harley :cheers:

You may find the guide to the pubs below useful as it shows all the telephone numbers

If you visit any where the details are different to that shown in the guide, I'd really appreciate an e-mail so that the guide can be kept up to date for the benefit of all

I have used your guide extensively for the above itinerary. It is very helpful.

Have you visited these shores before? Only you may like a little generic pub information too. For instance I hope your party is aware that if you are faced with an array of unfamiliar beers, most pubs will happily provide little tasters to help you make your choice. :cheers:

My wife and I will be on our fifth visit to "pommyland". It will be our fourth time on "the cut".We love the place and love trying the different beers.

Harley

May i suggest you dont order any Beer, you should stick to lager, it is cold and flavour free, much like what you are used to ;):D

Nothing quite like a icy cold lager on stinking hot day to quench a thirst, but as you would know you don't exactly get a lot of that sort of weather. After our trip around "the four counties" in '08, when it was bloody cold on quite a few days, we developed quite a taste for that "warm muck".

Obviously you haven' been to "Oz" lately because the range of beers here is now staggering.

HTH.

When we were last in Willington, after doing the Leicester ring, we had our last night in Willington at the Rising Sun, I think! The Green Dragon wasn't doing meals.

Been to The Swan, "08 great, '10 average, twice before.

Will try the George and Dragon thanks.

The Swan is my Fav pub !! great atmosphere with mediocre food so it gets busy with drinkers and not kids and cafe types. Great spot for a basic meal with good friends for a natter :cheers:

As I said above, great in "08, average in "10. Great spot though so will definitely give it another go.

And whichever brand you chose they all taste the same... :lol:

Have to agree, especially now that the "Japs" own Fosters (Victorian slop) and "the sheep shaggers"(Kiwi's) own the other major brewery. :cheers:

Firesprite

In the Fens

Thanks for the offer, but we are all coming from different directions. We fly into "Brum", great place to fly into, much better than Heathrow, and stay at The Heron's Nest on the Grand Union.

This is the sort of info we want to know whether the Bird in Hand is open. Is it close to the canal?

Went to the Toby Carvery at Festival Park in "08 twice, good value, but a bit like a fast food joint.

We are looking to have lunch at the Packhorse so will check with them.

Harley, don't take any notice of them. But can I be the first in advance to welcome you back, just be on your best behaviour this time.

That is something you can be assured will not happen. We will be flying the Aussie flag as well as the boxing kangaroo so keep an eye out for us.

Good to know that the area will not be short of bar staff for those 2 weeks. :P

Closed a couple of pubs last time('10). I thought pubs only employed eastern Europeans now.

Where's "The Old Boat" in Arlewas? Is that The White Horse reopened with a new name? I'm with MJG on this, go to the George & Dragon which is a very friendly pub.

Great Haywood was a challenge last time we were there. Pubs shown in Nicholsons were all pretty dull but then we found an unmarked boozer with a "country house" feel, I think it might have been the Clifford Arms. Nice food and an excellent range of beers.

The Swan at Fradley (aka The Mucky Duck) is ace but it's a drinker's pub. Also features a young barmaid with a fantastic arse, who I may have mentioned before.

The Harvester in Stoke is a good pub and also a safe mooring in a fairly rough area. If there's still a bloke in a shiny trad moored up there who looks like Antony Worrall Thompson, make a point of bresting up to his boat with a hearty "What ho, cheery chops!". He loves it.

Green Dragon in Willington is a good pub (and my local at the moment!). However it does get very busy so be sure to book that one well in advance.

Being an old "perv" myself I will make sure I get a good view of that arse.

we routinely cruise with a crew of 8, so 10 is not that many more. The Biggest problems we find are

1) Getting sat together is often not possible, especially when eating. In some places it may well be easier to go to a curryhouyse or Chinese, then go th the pub after.

2) Arriving too late for the kitchen - we've arrived in pubs where we're told they've stopped serving meals at 8pm. Depends on the business acumen of the licensee, or more likley lack of it ! It constantly baffles me why some licensees don't want our money.. 8 meals and 40+ pints of ale - better part of £200 in his till and they've just closed the kitchen ??? Our answer is we go elsewhere with our £200 ! It's no wonder some pubs are going down...

Yes - definitely ring ahead especially if you want to eat there.

One thing you didn't mention is age - just be aware that some pubs may reluctant to serve (or even admit) a large group of "youngsters" - especially if you look or behave like a stag party - even though you may not be one... Not a problem we usually have as I'm the youngest at 49 !

we routinely cruise with a crew of 8, so 10 is not that many more. The Biggest problems we find are

1) Getting sat together is often not possible, especially when eating. In some places it may well be easier to go to a curryhouyse or Chinese, then go th the pub after.

2) Arriving too late for the kitchen - we've arrived in pubs where we're told they've stopped serving meals at 8pm. Depends on the business acumen of the licensee, or more likley lack of it ! It constantly baffles me why some licensees don't want our money.. 8 meals and 40+ pints of ale - better part of £200 in his till and they've just closed the kitchen ??? Our answer is we go elsewhere with our £200 ! It's no wonder some pubs are going down...

Yes - definitely ring ahead especially if you want to eat there.

One thing you didn't mention is age - just be aware that some pubs may reluctant to serve (or even admit) a large group of "youngsters" - especially if you look or behave like a stag party - even though you may not be one... Not a problem we usually have as I'm the youngest at 49 !

Ahhh the cafe mentality......The reason some PUBS do not sell food all the time is it would ruin their trade. As a for example my last pub I only sold food lunchtimes and we were busy, I had a small dining room on an evening serving food bet 7 and 8 pm also busy I did not allow children at all and no food whatsoever in the fantastic bar we had and mostly we were PACKED over capacity including outside for two basic reasons. One reason being everyone for miles around new they could come for a DRINK with friends without the horrors of children in the bar or food stuffed under your nose so they came back time and time again bringing even more people. I can assure you that large groups of sensible drinkers spend more in a year than foody types who go out at best once a week or often even less. That pub know does food everywhere and as a consequence the trade is now mediocre with no atmosphere. :cheers: