Limehouse to Thames VHF

Phlea

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm hoping to do Limehouse to Brentford in the Spring and need to sort myself out with a VHF radio and take a test for a licence I believe. Does anybody have any experience of this recently and are there any recommendations for where and what to buy, and where to go for training? I'm based in the south.

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi all,

I'm hoping to do Limehouse to Brentford in the Spring and need to sort myself out with a VHF radio and take a test for a licence I believe. Does anybody have any experience of this recently and are there any recommendations for where and what to buy, and where to go for training? I'm based in the south.

Cheers,

Phil.

I'm sure he'll be along in a bit but you could try PM'ing Alan Fincher, I think he did his fairly recently IIRC.

Hi all,

Cheers,

Phil.

Yes, look on the RYA website for a course near you. It'll take a day and include a short exam at the end. It's very difficult if not impossible to fail. As well as the operator's certificate, you need a licence from Ofcom, which is free if you apply via their website.

There's an article in the current issue of Canal Boat about the course I did at Emsworth.

Yes, look on the RYA website for a course near you. It'll take a day and include a short exam at the end. It's very difficult if not impossible to fail. As well as the operator's certificate, you need a licence from Ofcom, which is free if you apply via their website.

There's an article in the current issue of Canal Boat about the course I did at Emsworth.

Just to add that the Ofcom operator's licence is for you if a portable (hand-held) device or for the boat if a fixed set. Be sure to get the right one, although it's pretty self-explanatory on the site.

We bought a Standard Horizon hand-held set as recommended in a road test done in Practical Boat Owner a few years ago but, as the set is now on our boat in France (which also has a fixed VHF set I must add) I can't remember which model, although a quick look at SH's site leads me to believe that it was something like their HX370S (or an alternative is their more basic HX280S). This make was what I bought when we did the same Thames trip in 2006. There are other competitor's sets around of course but I went with the one recommended in the road test. The SH set is nice and heavy and, hence, sits in the hand well during use. Beware getting one too light and small as it is a bit of a bugger to hold the set in one hand and operate the buttons with the thumb of the same hand, whilst steering with the other (unless you hand over control to someone else during any radio transmission of course).

Roger

Edited by Albion

Do get a radio - aside from the PLA rules it does give you so much more information about what is going on. We did a course local to us based on the RYA web site which I see Adam has already recommended. If you can get to Birmingham easily then I see that Andrew Phasey is holding a course at the Longwood Boat Club on 28th January (Cost £50 + £30 to the RYA for the necessary Certificate of Competence)

The most important thing is to maintain a listening watch, you can do that with a handheld. The Icom ones are wonderful but pricey. There have been other threads here where people have recommended stunningly cheap handheld radios - worth searching for.

We find that if we transmit at 1W then VTS struggle to hear us from some parts of the tideway so end up using 25W which is the beauty of a fixed set - last I looked handhelds only go up to 5 or 6W, I don't know if 5W is enough power but suspect it could be lower down.

It is good to be able to talk to VTS. I am amazed that with a relatively small aerial we can talk to VTS from Teddington. Since having a close encounter with a Clipper outside Limehouse we have learnt to tell VTS that we are a narrowboat about to cross the tideway, these guys are pros and in return they tell us if anything is about or make appropriate noises.

I'm sure he'll be along in a bit but you could try PM'ing Alan Fincher, I think he did his fairly recently IIRC.

There is quite a lot of information contained in this pinned Frequently Asked Questions Thread

This trip report relates to taking our boat on this section for the first time, so gives an idea what to expect. (Athough conditions were a lot rougher the next time we did it!....)

Look on Ebay for Marine VHF radios, always plenty on there and it is possible to pick up a fixed VHF for about £60.

That's definitely a good idea, it's what I did.

One point is that many of the ones on eBay are imported American models (at about half the price of the equivalent UK models) which means they not CE marked, and are theoretically not legal for use under a UK licence. Investigation will reveal that they are capable of being mis-operated to transmit on frequencies which are reserved for other purposes in the UK but are otherwise in all respects identical with their UK equivalent model. Given that even a legal UK radio could be mis-operated in such a way as to cause problems to other users, I fail to see that the distinction is relevant - especially as use of an American-standard radio in UK waters by someone with an American licence would be perfectly legal. But there you are, you must make up your own mind.

Thanks for all the useful replies, I'll settle down and read the FAQ now.

I am a little concerned about the wash from the river buses, I was walking in that area at the weekend and they don't half throw up some waves!

I am a little concerned about the wash from the river buses, I was walking in that area at the weekend and they don't half throw up some waves!

You just steer into the waves if you can. Obviously you can't always do that if you're approaching a bridge for example, so occasionally a wave will hit beam on. For that reason put anything loose and breakable on the floor or on a bed or sofa.

Sometimes the waves bounce off the river banks and back into the river so they seem to come from all directions at the same time and there's not a lot you can do. Mostly though it's fine and once you're past Vauxhall Bridge it all calms down. Going the other way has always been rougher in my experience.

Feeling your canal boat bouncing around can a bit disconcerting at first but you'll soon get used to it. Enjoy! (and keep those bow doors shut!)

Checking Jim Sheads site - I guess Onion is over the length exclusion on the tidal for VHF.

Having cruised from Limehouse to Brentford in a 37' Springer without VHF I must say VHF would be a massive assistance (You may know what is coming!) The Thames clippers were very well behaved on our trip slowing down much more than we expected. The Rubbish barges caused more wash passing , with the worst being a rubbish tug that was unladen (Even so it wasnt too bad!)

However , I would have been much happier in our cruiser (Would repeat the trip this yr if it wasnt for the olympics) The Tidal Thames from Limehouse isnt a water to approach faint hearted ! We would have been far more scared intimidated if we hadnt cruised other tidal waters & been tipped about by other large craft!!!

I wont go on about the all the recommendations on cruising this tideway as they are available on the forum , however please do read them before your trip & talk to the limehouse lockies , they were invaluable for last minute advice to us !

DSCF0232Small.jpg

Print out a copy of this and have someone standing with you on the stern reading out the relevant sections telling you which bridge spans to take, etc.

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/56

Also remember to look back regularly to see what is approaching from behind.

I absolutely concur with this!!!!!

We were approaching Tower Bridge and rather fancied going through the central arch (just to say we'd done it) when the scintillating light started flashing. Looking ahead I couldn't see anything through the arch and wondered what the hell the light was on for. Looked over my shoulder and bl$$dy hell, a great big raft of four barges towed by a tug was on my shoulder and overtaking fast. That, despite having kept a regular watch over my shoulder. Craft on the river come up on you very fast so check constantly behind you.

Roger

Print out a copy of this and have someone standing with you on the stern reading out the relevant sections telling you which bridge spans to take, etc.

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/56

Also remember to look back regularly to see what is approaching from behind.

Yes, I printed out the guide and laminated it so it would survive any spray etc.

I found the other traffic very polite. We were following a huge City Cruises trip boat, which needed to turn onto Westminster Pier, but he moved to one side so we could go past before he started his manoeuvre.

Details of the trip are here.

Also, if you have friends in London, get them to take some photos of you from the bank. You'll be amazed at how tiny a narrowboat looks on the tideway.

I absolutely concur with this!!!!!

We were approaching Tower Bridge and rather fancied going through the central arch (just to say we'd done it) when the scintillating light started flashing. Looking ahead I couldn't see anything through the arch and wondered what the hell the light was on for. Looked over my shoulder and bl$dy hell, a great big raft of four barges towed by a tug was on my shoulder and overtaking fast. That, despite having kept a regular watch over my shoulder. Craft on the river come up on you very fast so check constantly behind you.

Roger

Totally.

Note that although the Tideway Handbook says you may go through the central arch of Tower Bridge as long as the white light is not flashing, the PLA's literature specifically says that you should use the right-hand (ie northerly) span when travelling up-river.

The other thing to be aware of is the large yellow buoys. I can't remember which bridge these are near, but they are presumably anchored on chains with enough slack to accomodate the highest tide. When a large vessel passes between them, the water displacement in front of the vessel pushes the buoys apart. After the vessel has gone through, the water is rushing into the void behind it and so the buoys move back (at fairly high speed).

We had moved over to the right to let a large vessel overtake and then tried to "tuck in" behind it, but the incoming tide was driving us forward as we battled to get clear of one of the buoys. We now have a slight hint of yellow on our starboard gunwale... I should mention that these buoys are made of steel and are the size of a small car. But don't worry - it's a fantastic trip.

We used an Icom IC-M35 radio. It was fine on low power for contacting London VTS while we were leaving Limehouse, but it needed full power at Teddington. Not sure about Brentford.

Dave

Totally.

Note that although the Tideway Handbook says you may go through the central arch of Tower Bridge as long as the white light is not flashing, the PLA's literature specifically says that you should use the right-hand (ie northerly) span when travelling up-river.

This was in 2006 and we were only given the bridge arch identification chart by the lockies at Limehouse. As it was the first time that we had done the trip we were kept very busy spotting and using the arches listed as correct as well as looking out for other craft. It seems as though there is a bridge every few yards when you first set out from Limehouse but it gets a little less manic as you get further upstream, either that or you are starting to get more used to it :D

Roger

I don't think we have never been through the side arches. Are you sure that you can use them :lol:

The other thing to be aware of is the large yellow buoys. I can't remember which bridge these are near,

I wonder if you mean Blackfriars? Mind you the Blackfriars ones are not bad but I am always amazed how much they move when the tide turns. The large yellow buoys that almost seem to suck you in are the ones that cruise liners use by Greenwich, you think that you are staying away from them, wonder why the boats in front of you are not avoiding them and suddenly you find that the buoys have jumped out in front of you.

I don't think we have never been through the side arches. Are you sure that you can use them :lol:

I did and rather rapidly when I saw the scintillating light and what was overtaking me at a rapid rate. I prefer not to argue with stuff like that. :help::captain:

Roger

Little things can trip you up without warning,we were coming down with the tide on the ebb,we are 36 ft,with a handheld on listening watch,contacted Limehouse as requested when Tower bridge was coming up,as we were later than booked.No problems even with the tourist RIBS that loved to buzz us,Giving us a thumbs up which I returned.We have a raised fore deck,and handrails and stanchions,so big wash and waves are no big deal,BUT the overfall beneath one of the bridges was so sharp or bumpy that the stern came right out of the water.Again no big deal,except that the standby Honda outboard that was on tickover "in case" revved up ,came back in the water so suddenly the shear pin broke!

See even the back up plan had a glitch,good that we never needed it.

Preperation is key,our boat and us are used to the sea but a river caught us,watch out for the overfalls/standing waves on the ebb,half tide is the fastest.

Having VHF is very reassuring,do the course,its worth it,then a little legal practice is useful.In aviation circles we often do a Practice Pan Pan call.

Robin

Hi all,

Cheers,

Phil.

Puffer parts have hand held in stock at £46 (no connection other than as a customer)

http://www.pufferparts.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=614

I've always been through the middle. Seems a shame not to, especially if you're only doing the trip once.

P1000383.jpg

As he quickly veers back to the right...

Edited by blackrose

I've been through the central arch a couple of times, but recently I've always followed the PLA advice and taken the north span. Yes it IS navigable although if there is a passenger boat on the jetty beyond you do have to swing out towards the middle again quite sharply which I do not like.

I have pointed out to the PLA that their advice appears to contradict that which is published by BW; their response was that they would ask BW to change the Tideway Handbook.

I recently added a 'Speaker/Microphone' to my handheld VHF set and it is very useful. Clipped to the shoulder of the lifejacket it makes it much easier to hear what is going on.

And another detail that might be of interest: I have what must be the 'Rolls-Royce' of VHF handheld sets; a Standard Horizon HX-851 which has both GPS and DFC - which means that by simply pressing a single special button it transmits a digital emergency call direct to the emergency services telling them exactly where you are. The set cost about £220 and an extra £40 for the speaker/microphone, not cheap but it does a lot more than a standard set. I have both handheld and fixed VHF and I much prefer the handheld because it is independent of the boat's electrical system, it is attached to me and it is waterproof. If I ever found myself clinging to a buoy in the middle of the river I think it would be a very useful piece of kit!